Re-apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jayne23

New

Re-apply?

Post by jayne23 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum because I think this is kind of a unique situation. I would appreciate any/all of your insight! You all are extremely helpful :)

I applied in the 2017 cycle with a 3.7/168. I was waitlisted to the schools that I really wanted to get into, so I decided to, as common advice goes on tls, retake the LSAT. After taking the LSAT, but before receiving the score back, I got off of Penn's waitlist. Penn's pretty up there at the top of my list, so I deposited there, but they did not offer any financial aid.

Today, the June LSAT came back, and I got a 173 :)

I'm not quite sure what to do. On the one hand I feel lucky to have gotten in to an amazing school that I really want to go to. On the other, I really want to avoid paying sticker for school, and am beginning to get cold feet about debt. My parents have very low income, but do have some assets, so I'm guessing that is why there was no financial aid. What are your opinions? Are my numbers good enough for money if I reapply next cycle? Or should I just count myself lucky and go to school?

Other helpful things to know.
- I'm 24, working as a paralegal now. (But I've already quit, I suppose I can find another job).
- I am on the waitlist for NYU and Columbia.

Winston1984

Gold

Re: Re-apply?

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Definitely reapply. You could get serious money that probably isn't available now.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 pm

And congrats on the great score!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Congrats!

Yes, you should definitely withdraw and reapply next year. It's not even a question. You've instantly become a part of a very different level of applicants, and you need to reap the financial rewards. People with lesser numbers have gotten $150-165K at Cornell and $150K at NU this cycle. Your GPA will hurt at some schools, but people with equal or lesser numbers are still getting $90-120K at Duke, Michigan, and UVA; $60-90K at Chicago; and from $50K all the way to $150K at NYU (via some of the separate-application scholarships, I imagine). Lots of people getting $50K at CLS with your numbers, and even a few getting Butlers (half-tuition).

You likely didn't get any need-based aid because no non-YHS school offers much need-based aid. However, with your new numbers you will have a very good chance at Harvard next cycle. YHS offer only need-based aid, and all three are quite generous. You might be very pleasantly surprised by H's offer if you get in.

Apply early next year and save yourself many tens of thousands of dollars in loans. Apply everywhere and use offers to negotiate more merit aid at your favored schools.

Congrats again!

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Did you update Penn, NYU, and Columbia with your improved LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”