3.85 GPA / English MA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sfoglia

Gold

3.85 GPA / English MA

Postby sfoglia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Hoping you can provide some guidance.

I had a 3.85 GPA for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees in English. Graduate certificate in Women's Studies, although I'm not sure that would even be of interest for a committee. I'm also concerned that my "softs" are not very strong. I have won a couple of awards for writing, and I did teach four semesters of composition at the collegiate level, but, my current job is in fashion writing. I'm very, very concerned as to how that will reflect.

I've just begun studying for the LSAT, and am planning to take it in September. My first practice test put me at 164. I am hoping to raise my score by a minimum of 10 points. (I only finished half of the logic games section, so I'm hoping that completing it will have a strong impact on my score.)

What should I focus on to increase my chances of admittance into a T14, with some sort of scholarship? I was accepted with full tuition coverage for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and I'd like to continue the trend if at all possible.

Best,
S.

sublime

Diamond

Re: 3.85 GPA / English MA

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:46 pm

sfoglia

Gold

Postby sfoglia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 pm

That's actually a huge relief. I have been so worried about my employment.

Looks like I'll be eating, sleeping, bathing and breathing the LSAT for the next few months!

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:54 pm

sfoglia

Gold

Postby sfoglia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

Ti Malice

Gold

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:10 pm

As sublime said, your employment history will have no negative impact. There are plenty of T14 applicants with less substantial work histories than that.

Just to be sure of one thing, before I give you good news: your 3.85 includes all undergraduate coursework taken at any U.S. or Canadian undergraduate institution before you received your first BA/BS, and even any college courses you took in high school, correct? Because that's how the LSAC will calculate your GPA.

sfoglia wrote:I've just begun studying for the LSAT, and am planning to take it in September. My first practice test put me at 164. I am hoping to raise my score by a minimum of 10 points. (I only finished half of the logic games section, so I'm hoping that completing it will have a strong impact on my score.)

You're in a really good position. That's a high first-time score, and LG is the easiest section to improve.

Study until you're consistently scoring in the high 170s; it's prudent to assume that you'll score a bit lower than your practice average on the real thing, so give yourself a little cushion. If you hit a 173, you have a good chance at Harvard and a very good chance everywhere else but Yale and Stanford (though you may have to convince Michigan, UVA, and Penn that you would attend if accepted, if you want to avoid the waitlist). If you hit 174, you're essentially in everywhere but Yale and Stanford. The higher you go, the better your odds of receiving a full-tuition scholarship from one or more T14 schools. With a 173 or above, you should receive at least one such offer. If you would be happy attending Northwestern, you could apply ED there (ED acceptance comes with automatic full-tuition scholarship).

sfoglia

Gold

Postby sfoglia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Ti Malice wrote:As sublime said, your employment history will have no negative impact. There are plenty of T14 applicants with less substantial work histories than that.

Just to be sure of one thing, before I give you good news: your 3.85 includes all undergraduate coursework taken at any U.S. or Canadian undergraduate institution before you received your first BA/BS, and even any college courses you took in high school, correct? Because that's how the LSAC will calculate your GPA.

sfoglia wrote:I've just begun studying for the LSAT, and am planning to take it in September. My first practice test put me at 164. I am hoping to raise my score by a minimum of 10 points. (I only finished half of the logic games section, so I'm hoping that completing it will have a strong impact on my score.)

You're in a really good position. That's a high first-time score, and LG is the easiest section to improve.

Study until you're consistently scoring in the high 170s; it's prudent to assume that you'll score a bit lower than your practice average on the real thing, so give yourself a little cushion. If you hit a 173, you have a good chance at Harvard and a very good chance everywhere else but Yale and Stanford (though you may have to convince Michigan, UVA, and Penn that you would attend if accepted, if you want to avoid the waitlist). If you hit 174, you're essentially in everywhere but Yale and Stanford. The higher you go, the better your odds of receiving a full-tuition scholarship from one or more T14 schools. With a 173 or above, you should receive at least one such offer. If you would be happy attending Northwestern, you could apply ED there (ED acceptance comes with automatic full-tuition scholarship).

Yes, 3.85 is total for all undergraduate courses.

I hope you're right, regarding the LSAT. I am hoping to raise my practice test scores into the high 170s by mid August, because I know that if I score consistently high on a number of LSAT practice tests up until test date, I'll feel more confident going in, which is essential. I am a very anxious person. Maybe I should take up meditating...

Thank you for the advice!

Return to “What are my chances??