3.87 gpa/ what LSAT for Columbia and NYU Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Carla36

New

3.87 gpa/ what LSAT for Columbia and NYU

Post by Carla36 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Shooting for the best school I can get into, but it would be ideal to stay in NY since I live on Long Island. Any advice would help ease my anxiety:

GPA: 3.87
Major: Business-Economics with a concentration in Finance and a concentration in Marketing (AACSB accredited business school)
EC:
-Two term president of recognized social fraternity
- Vice President of Greek Life at my school
- Frequent volunteer at Stony Brook Hospital (in addition to many other community service events tied to my fraternity)
- Interned at Bank Of Tokyo
- In 4 honor societies, graduated in the top 10% of my class (closer to the 1% than 10% side), and held constant summer employment (don't know if any of this matters, just throwing it in)

I am 100% white, so no URM status. But, I do live with a single mother, so if any money could be involved it would be a plus.

I plan on taking the LSAT in September and applying early decision to Columbia (if that matters or helps)

What LSAT score would I need to get into; A) Columbia; B) NYU; or, C) Any T10

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: 3.87 gpa/ what LSAT for Columbia and NYU

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Carla36 wrote:Shooting for the best school I can get into, but it would be ideal to stay in NY since I live on Long Island. Any advice would help ease my anxiety:

Major: Business-Economics with a concentration in Finance and a concentration in Marketing (AACSB accredited business school)
EC:
- Frequent volunteer at Stony Brook Hospital (in addition to many other community service events tied to my fraternity)
- In 4 honor societies, graduated in the top 10% of my class (closer to the 1% than 10% side), and held constant summer employment (don't know if any of this matters, just throwing it in)

I am 100% white, so no URM status. But, I do live with a single mother, so if any money could be involved it would be a plus.

I plan on taking the LSAT in September and applying early decision to Columbia (if that matters or helps)

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/ play around with this

your softs are average at best. kill the lsat and you'll probably get H. Good luck!

edit: Don't ED to columbia unless you do poorly on the LSAT after multiple takes
Last edited by t-14orbust on Fri May 30, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carla36

New

Post by Carla36 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Carla36 wrote:Shooting for the best school I can get into, but it would be ideal to stay in NY since I live on Long Island. Any advice would help ease my anxiety:

EC:

your softs are average at best. kill the lsat and you'll probably get H. Good luck!

Alright thank you!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Carla36 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

EC:

Alright thank you!
See the edit. EDing pretty much locks you out of scholarship consideration, so don't do that unless the school is already a reach. You likely won't get much if any need-based aid outside of HYS. Definitely shoot for the highest LSAT possible so you can get ($/$$)HYS, ($$/$$$) at CCN or ($$$) at T14

Carla36

New

Post by Carla36 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:39 pm

I had no idea about that and ED. Thank you for the advice

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Carla36 wrote:I had no idea about that and ED. Thank you for the advice
Yeah, an ED means they essentially own you because you have to commit to that school if accepted, leaving them with no incentive to offer you money. Check out the LSAT forum for some good prep tips

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”