Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chickentikka

New

Chances

Post by chickentikka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone
Last edited by chickentikka on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jchance

Silver

Re: Reapply? 173/3.4ish half urm

Post by Jchance » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 pm

some money some other place

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

I think it would be pretty dumb not to reapply next year. Half-urm = urm. You'll get decent money somewhere if you apply earlier.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:50 pm

chickentikka wrote:Hey guys, I'm half AA and am all maxed out on LSAT attempts. I have two years of work experience in I banking (~1 year) and teaching LSAT (1 year). I went to a top 10 undergrad.

I applied in late January and my cycle has been a disaster. I'm still young, but the thought of waiting another year is kind of a bummer, especially because I'm not sure that I'll fare much better next year. So my question is, assuming that I get into Columbia (unlikely at this point), should I go to school (likely paying sticker) OR reapply next year in hopes of a H (unlikely again) or some money some other place (is it worth reapplying for this alone? am I likely to get anything?)

I have been

Waitlisted
Chicago
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Duke

Rejected
Yale
Harvard

Held
Columbia

Don't Know (but 99% sure rejected)
Stanford
I am sorry your cycle has not turned out the way you'd hoped. I feel like I underperformed my numbers too. I would suggest withdrawing and reapplying in September/October. Maybe get a new rec letter or two and rewrite your personal statement? With numbers like yours, you should have lots of top-10 acceptances and probably one or more of HYS. I think you're selling yourself short if you don't try again.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Can you explain the half URM? Did you check URM box or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chickentikka

New

Post by chickentikka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Yeah my mom was an African refugee. And I did check AA, which is how I identify. I also click south asian

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm

chickentikka wrote:Yeah my mom was an African refugee. And I did check AA, which is how I identify. I also click south asian
did you phone in your personal statement or do you have a criminal record or something? Your cycle makes no sense for an AA with 173

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm

You have a full-ride at any school of your choice if you have a normal application given AA URM and 173 - unless there was something catastrophically wrong with your application or personal criminal history reapply next year and enjoy the Hamilton or Ruby
Last edited by PrideandGlory1776 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 pm

Yeah, if you can take a year off, do it.

I've also underperformed my numbers after applying late, and now I'm leaning toward waiting a cycle.

edit: typo
Last edited by Brettanomyces on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

There's been a lot of weird URM cycles this year (mine included). Ride out the waitlists.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
chickentikka wrote:Yeah my mom was an African refugee. And I did check AA, which is how I identify. I also click south asian
did you phone in your personal statement or do you have a criminal record or something? Your cycle makes no sense for an AA with 173
People are overestimating the strength of a URM splitter; data is too weak to draw any conclusions, but admission chances at YHSCC aren't particularly strong. That being said, 173 is a great score and it should have worked a little more magic here.

Also, OP may not be african american, strictly speaking. As the child of a refugee, he/she isn't a member of the under-represented class of historically disenfranchised black americans at whose legacy remedial affirmative action programs are targeted. Terrific diversity material, but not sure what impact that nuance may have, if any.

Sticker at columbia is ouch unless you have alternative means of financing your education. Reapplying seems necessary but results are tough to predict. If you see definite areas in your application that warrant improvement, would be worth giving it another go around.

chickentikka

New

Post by chickentikka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Last edited by chickentikka on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chickentikka

New

Post by chickentikka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Last edited by chickentikka on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

chickentikka wrote: I also quit americorps so maybe that made me look bad
Describe

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Also, OP may not be african american, strictly speaking. As the child of a refugee, he/she isn't a member of the under-represented class of historically disenfranchised black americans at whose legacy remedial affirmative action programs are targeted. Terrific diversity material, but not sure what impact that nuance may have, if any.
Certainly not an expert on this, but I've seen international black applicants post here that (based on their cycles) they received the same URM bump as African-Americans. The consensus seems to be that if you're black, you're black. Admittedly it's kind of hard to get any hard data to verify that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 pm

chickentikka wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
People are overestimating the strength of a URM splitter; data is too weak to draw any conclusions, but admission chances at YHSCC aren't particularly strong. That being said, 173 is a great score and it should have worked a little more magic here.

Sticker at columbia is ouch unless you have alternative means of financing your education. Reapplying seems necessary but results are tough to predict. If you see definite areas in your application that warrant improvement, would be worth giving it another go around.
I'm def AA (my mom is black)
Right - I know, I read what you posted. But black =/= African-American, which was my point. Entire nations of individuals who are not Americans are black.

Regardless, consensus seems to be that you should get the same boost as more traditional AA's. Good luck with CLS & SLS - reapplying early next cycle with a revised application will hopefully do the trick at many of these schools.

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 pm

As others have said, it's been a weird cycle for many URMs, particularly for splitters. My cycle has gone pretty much the opposite of how I thought it would. Accepted to a school I thought I had zero chance at, but waitlisted at schools I thought I had a strong chance at. I have no idea why this happened. I don't think yield protect really explains it. All I know is that it contradicts much of conventional wisdom.

I think what people lose sight of is that just because so many people on TLS history have had seemingly predictable cycles doesn't mean that cycles are easily predictable, especially for splitter-URMS. Will you have a much better cycle next year? It's hard to tell. I think Harvard is pretty much out. I've heard that they have a 3.5 floor for URMs, and while I'm sure it's possible to get past that you'd likely need to be a pretty compelling candidate. I'm not sure what will happen everywhere else. Applying in late January is obviously not ideal but it seems odd that it would negatively impact your cycle to such an alarming extent. Spivey and Buttenbaum seem to think it shouldn't hurt URMs at all.

I think before you go through the trouble of re-submitting your applications, which will cost you a fair bit of cash (assuming you're not getting need-based aid waivers), you should have your app examined by a professional admissions consultant. Normally I wouldn't suggest it, but after having such a lousy cycle it might be worth it to have it looked over with a fine-toothed comb before submitting yourself to more potential disappointment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 pm

jbagelboy wrote:[

Right - I know, I read what you posted. But black =/= African-American, which was my point. Entire nations of individuals who are not Americans are black.

Regardless, consensus seems to be that you should get the same boost as more traditional AA's. Good luck with CLS & SLS - reapplying early next cycle with a revised application will hopefully do the trick at many of these schools.
Hmmm. I mean, Obama's African-American, right?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 pm

law school gets to report him/her as AA on their ABA report. I doubt they care much beyond that.

Back to quitting Americorps. Is this like a big deal or not? I don't know much about the process.

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:

The irony is that the descendants of those who came to America and were enslaved and disenfranchised are certainly better off, on average, than the descendants of those remaining in Africa. I bet if you asked the OP's mother if she thinks black people are better off in America or Africa, she'd say America.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

I'd say reapply. As a fellow splitter with a very different cycle, I feel applying in late January hurt you. I'm 175/3.46, non-URM. I saw $$ at Duke and was in at Columbia/NYU with $. I can't see 2 points alone making that big of a difference, especially given that you're URM, which is why I feel you should reapply in September. I bet you see quite a bit of $$. I'll PM you my LSN.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:04 am

All around, I think this has definitely been an odd cycle for splitters, reverse-splitters, and other unique types. I got waitlisted and rejected across the board from t14 even with my above average numbers at many of them. For some reason, more than years past, applying late might have been a killer. Though I don't know why.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 am

Damn dude; that would be a seriously underperformed cycle even for a non-URM with those numbers. I would definitely try to figure out what red flag(s) your app is raising, and reapply while also applying more broadly.

chickentikka

New

Post by chickentikka » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks guys
Last edited by chickentikka on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I would say don't even ride those WLs. Rewrite your PS and reapply for $$. Maybe have a consultant look at your materials. You're seriously underperforming (we're almost numbers twins and I'm not a URM).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”