Where and when to apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mossfool

New

Where and when to apply?

Postby mossfool » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:23 am

Hey guys,

I'm currently finishing up my junior year and looking for advice on applying to Law Schools next cycle. I am a White/NA (CBIC and Tribal Cards) with a 178 LSAT and a 3.01 GPA. I had two years with a 2.20 due to some family issues before transferring. I have since maintained a 4.0 in Math/Finance double degree. I know it is easier to apply next fall, but if I wait until the spring semester I can have a 3.20 GPA. I was wondering when I should apply and what schools I should target? Any advice would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: Where and when to apply?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Being NA apply everywhere (all top 14), send in an updated transcript if your grades get better

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Postby tiltedwindmill » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:31 pm

I would try to raise the GPA as much as possible, take a year or two off. But your stratospheric LSAT and NA status should give you a great cycle.

mossfool

New

Postby mossfool » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it! It sounds like I should apply this fall casting a pretty wide net, and if not satisfied with the results continue to raise my GPA and apply the following cycle. For this coming cycle, though, where should I apply ED? I was going to do so at UT, is that too much of a reach? Finally, in blanketing the t14, should I be focusing on MVP down? Sorry for all of the uninformed questions, I am very new to the whole process and want to make sure I do it right.

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Postby NoLieAbility » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 am

You'll raise the mean LSAT at any school that takes you, you're perhaps the most underrepresented URM out there, and you can claim a upward-trending pattern of study behavior. I'd apply to HYS down to UT/UCLA, write a brief addenda highlighting your recent success and diligence re: your grades, and ask one of your LoR writers to speak to the change they witnessed during your academic career.

Don't ED anywhere. You're likely to be pleasantly surprised by a number of the responses you get, and there's a good shot that you will mean more to a T6 school than you will to UT.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:24 pm

where: every T14 school, perhaps a strong regional or two in the region you want to practice as safeties

when: as soon as apps are accepted in the fall

mossfool

New

Postby mossfool » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 am

I appreciate all of the advice, but am worried it may be an overly optimistic outlook as my advisor is pushing me towards the likes of Baylor and Texas Tech. I wanted to get some other opinions since I would definitely not be interested in law with those kinds of options. If not for the comments so far I doubt I would end up applying for law schools, so thank you very much.

chimera

Bronze

Postby chimera » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:37 am

mossfool wrote:I appreciate all of the advice, but am worried it may be an overly optimistic outlook as my advisor is pushing me towards the likes of Baylor and Texas Tech. I wanted to get some other opinions since I would definitely not be interested in law with those kinds of options. If not for the comments so far I doubt I would end up applying for law schools, so thank you very much.

If you truly have a 178 under your belt then your advisor is out of his or her mind, and possibly clueless. NA w/ established tribal affiliation and a 178? Enjoy HYS or any other t14.

yost

Bronze

Postby yost » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 am

NA with a 178? Your advisor is an idiot. You will get into multiple T14s.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Postby jacketyellow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah enjoy a good cycle. Don't worry about the likes of Baylor. I don't know about Yale since they seem to have a hard GPA floor, and Stanford is a black box, but you should be fine at all the others -- with good scholarship money from all you are admitted to.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:where: every T14 school, perhaps a strong regional or two in the region you want to practice as safeties

when: as soon as apps are accepted in the fall

This.

And your advisor shouldn't be advising anyone ever again.

Return to “What are my chances??