Second Degree

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Disturbance

New

Second Degree

Postby Disturbance » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 am

Greetings,

For a lot of reason, I want to get a Common Law degree in the United States. This is not a post for asking for career advice: I perfectly know who this decision could seem stupid and ridiculous for some.

Here is my situation:

1 - Numbers;
I possess a canadian law school degree in another tradition, civil law;
I have succesfully done my Bar Examination;
I lived in Asia almost a year;
I am trilingual: French, English and German;

2- GPA;
My GPA is 3.5, but this is my law school GPA. My system doesn't require a undergrad for it. I am presently starting a business school undergrad degree, which I will finish in 16 months. I am pretty certain to finish it with a perfect GPA.

3- LSAT;
As for my LSAT, I will be taking 6 month of preparation. My diagnostic test before studying for it (my actual medium result on the last 20 tests) is 173. I am sure to be able to pull a result around 174-175.

4- Others;
I have strong letters of recommandation from high-level scholars, one of them beeing an ancient Harvard professor and the other beeing an ex-member of a WTO Committee.

5- The Context;
I want, obviously, to enter at least a T-14. Otherwise, considering my situation, it would not be profitable. I don't want to only do my New-York Bar for reason of aptitude that I need to optimize as much as for the ''employement'' question: I am a bankruptcy lawyer.

After some research, I am not sure what they will consider for my demand. I need some tips and advise relatively to the reality of my position.

Thank you for your help,

Disturbance

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Re: Second Degree

Postby SnakySalmon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:51 am

LSAC isn't going to let whatever school you go to report your law school GPA, so I don't think that'll have a huge effect. Because you won't have a GPA, the hard numbers are going to come down to the LSAT, so I'd suggest you focus on getting the 175+ you think you can. If you get that, you're certainly up for consideration in the T14.

What is your relationship to the Harvard Prof and the WTO guy? You need at least one, preferably two letters from academics who taught you in school, and can talk about how great a student you are.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am

Take LSAT. Send stuff to lsac. Apply. Get into schools in T14.

They might use your undergrad law degree for GPA, making HYS harder to get. Focus on the LSAT just in case.

Were you askin something more specific? Seems like you are set to me.

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Postby SnakySalmon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:21 am

spleenworship wrote:Take LSAT. Send stuff to lsac. Apply. Get into schools in T14.

They might use your undergrad law degree for GPA, making HYS harder to get. Focus on the LSAT just in case.

Were you askin something more specific? Seems like you are set to me.

Just to be clear, what exactly is your undergrad deal? Do you have an LL.B.? I thought you basically needed an undergrad degree of some kind for that.

Disturbance

New

Postby Disturbance » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 am

You are right: This post lack of detail.

I got law school degree from the only place in America letting people to do so without an undergrad degree: the province of Quebec. It wasn't really a big decision at the time: I could go to law school in the law tradition of my province without having a LSAT, so I did. In fact, I didn't even knew what was a LSAT at the time.

Obviously, my results aren't equivalent to those of a typical undergrad degree in the US.

I know that the schools generally only considers undergrad degree GPA for admission (if I'm not wrong). For these reasons and the desire to obtain some business-oriented aptitudes, I am supposed to do a ''fast-track economic and business degree''. In other word, I'm using my learning aptitudes of law school for rushing a business undergraduate degree in 16 months. It seem crazy, but I'm doing it with success.

My idea (and that's the perfect time to tell me that it's the worst idea I had of my life) is to obtain a GPA which, with my LSAT, should augment my chances. Anyway, in my domain, a degree in business is something I would do anyway on my free time.

The thing is that, after a lot of research, I understand that I am the category ''what-the-heck-is-this''. I don't know if they will consider me as a transfer (which would be terrible, if I understand), if they will consider my undergrad or if they will consider also my law school degree GPA. If some of you had some informations (good or bad) for giving me a better understanding of the situation, it would be really appreciated.

Otherwise, some answer and stuff I have forgotten :

1. The WTO guy will definitely give me a letter of recommandation. She already did for my study in a foreign country and I'm presently working with her on a project even if we're not in the same university anymore. In the time, I was also the only student enough stupid to take his graduate study class. I also had a good news today: He became Dean of my University this week.

2. The Harvard guy is my mentor. Really intellectual, only concerned about the well-being of his students. I was supposed to work for him, but I studied in China instead. He is one the big guy in a new domain of Law, mostly because he is the only bilingual in his domain.

3. I forgot to talk about it, but I have two letters of recommandations from importants persons of one of the three best chinese university of law. Which mean, in pratical ''not really good''. But the letters are really enthoustiats. Is it a pertinent thing to put inside my demand?

4. I am young. All these things were made a the cost of my career experience. Is it better for me to take the risk to have a less interesting GPA for having some work experience?

Honestly, sorry for the long post.
In any case, your answer are really appreciated. I'm pretty stressed out about if the fact of having a degree in a university with ''normal results'' will shutdown my admission.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Work experience wouldn't hurt.

That said, your situation is very unusual and I'm not sure anyone on this board is going to be able to give you really detailed advice. You may just have to try what you think are good ideas, and hope for the best.

Still, I'd put $10 on them using your law degree for your undergrad GPA and considering your second degree as a soft factor only.

Disturbance

New

Postby Disturbance » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:33 am

Maybe it's not the good place to ask about this, but do you think I would profit of professional services relatively to this subject? I know there is well-known admission consultant.

I have also send (not under my name) some letters about the subject to T14 university admission group. The fact that my Civil Law degree represent my GPA is not a deal breaker, but almost. Specially if they completely don't count my economic degree in it.

Return to “What are my chances??