3.74/156 Florida State Law

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
We'llSeeWhatHappens

3.74/156 Florida State Law

Postby We'llSeeWhatHappens » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Just wanted to get some expert opinions on my prospects of getting into FSU law. I am willing to pay sticker because I have a place here and local parental support so all I would be on the hook for would be the tuition and fees. Also I have some connections in private practice locally so I may be able to avoid state/local gov't although I am not completely opposed to that world. Let me know what you think

156/3.74
FSU undergrad

JazzieShizzle

Re: 3.74/156 Florida State Law

Postby JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm

We'llSeeWhatHappens wrote:Just wanted to get some expert opinions on my prospects of getting into FSU law. I am willing to pay sticker because I have a place here and local parental support so all I would be on the hook for would be the tuition and fees. Also I have some connections in private practice locally so I may be able to avoid state/local gov't although I am not completely opposed to that world. Let me know what you think

156/3.74
FSU undergrad

You're a splitter because your LSAT is just below their 25th% and your GPA is barely above their 75th%. This is not expert advice by any means, but submit a strong application and I think you have a good shot. Good luck :)

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 pm

With applications down and medians dropping, I think you have a shot with that GPA. If you're footing the bill for tuition, though, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not retaking in Feb or June to try to get some scholarship money.

We'llSeeWhatHappens

Postby We'llSeeWhatHappens » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies and you are right I should go and retake. The only problem I have had with that in the past is that I work a full time job which has made prep in the past extremely difficult. I wish I could just drop everything I am doing and just focus on this, but as life would have it I am not afforded that luxury. I should have prepped and took the test when I was a freshman in college and did not have a job lol Hindsight is 20/20 I guess

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 pm

We'llSeeWhatHappens wrote:Thanks for the replies and you are right I should go and retake. The only problem I have had with that in the past is that I work a full time job which has made prep in the past extremely difficult. I wish I could just drop everything I am doing and just focus on this, but as life would have it I am not afforded that luxury. I should have prepped and took the test when I was a freshman in college and did not have a job lol Hindsight is 20/20 I guess

I totally get how difficult it is to prep while working full time. Did you apply yet? If not, you'll have to decide if you have time for more LSAT prep AND getting your application together. It might be a good idea to wait and apply next cycle, but that depends on your situation.

We'llSeeWhatHappens

Postby We'llSeeWhatHappens » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Yeah I applied back in November and I have been waiting for an agonizing three months now. I understand I have given them no reason to be in a hurry to accept me, but if I can slide on in and then try and out work the folks around me I have heard they refigure scholarship money yearly (Courtesy a graduate from 2012) so if I do not get in I will rework my approach but the full time gig makes for an interesting challenge. I made the 156 while working full time job and doing a prep course that was in person.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm

The job placement for FSU isn't great, and the repayments are really high. Statistically if it's 20 hrs per point you'll make more money finding time to study than at any point in your law career on a per hour basis. Somewhere in your DNA's lineage some distant relative once probably had to kill a tiger to survive. Therefore, you can haul ass for a few months.

We'llSeeWhatHappens

Postby We'llSeeWhatHappens » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Pepperjack

I like the distant relative killing a tiger reference and hauling ass is definitely the adjective that would best describe my life in that situation. I have a steady job (financial services sector) with great job security so I can afford another year off. I just really wanted to test the waters this cycle to see what I could squeeze out of it after I heard how down applications were. Thanks for the post

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:49 pm

As someone with almost the exact same gpa who took the LSAT 3 times while working full time, I can commiserate. But you've got to do what you've got to do. And you've got to retake the LSAT, even if it means putting off law school for a year.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm

I got into FSU with much worse last year. Way lower GPA and same LSAT. I ended up retaking for other schools though and got a much higher score.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Retake in June for scholarship

We'llSeeWhatHappens

Postby We'llSeeWhatHappens » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Thats encouraging to know the our numbers lined up tosh and you got in and you are right BigZuck retake is going to be the better option. I guess I can prep for June and give myself a ridiculous amount to time to prep. Perhaps that will take the edge of the work/studying aspect.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm

We'llSeeWhatHappens wrote:Thats encouraging to know the our numbers lined up tosh and you got in and you are right BigZuck retake is going to be the better option. I guess I can prep for June and give myself a ridiculous amount to time to prep. Perhaps that will take the edge of the work/studying aspect.

Yeah, when I was in your position I retook June and then again in October.

You can do it brother, good luck!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 am

I'm not sure if you're aware, but FSU is one of several universities that offers to admit its own undergrads with certain GPA stipulations. I believe the cutoff is a 3.7 (or at least used to be). You should look into this, although even if it is still an active policy, because you've already taken the LSAT it may not apply anymore.

FSU sticker in-state is a solid choice if you want to get into public service work though (a small sample size of my friends went there and are happily practicing attorneys for the state). If I were you I'd meet with someone from admissions with your best game face, and then if need be, retake it in June and do a few points better.

Return to “What are my chances?”