155 & 3.47 GPA...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kurtvonnegut

155 & 3.47 GPA...

Postby kurtvonnegut » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi there, first post here and have lurked a bit around TLS. Just looking for some feedback on what I should expect from law schools, beyond what I've read here and elsewhere. Any [friendly] feedback or words will really be appreciated. :D

Cumulative GPA: 3.47
Degree GPA: 3.63
LSAT, December 2013: 155

Academic: My cumulative GPA is skewed because CAS took into account courses I took before graduating high school. Graduated from high school in 2010, graduated with an AS in 2010 as well. My BA came from a school ranked between 20-30 in "Regional Universities, North" on US News. I took an academic leave in 2012, enrolled in a school in the Middle East, then transferred those credits back to graduate. I was enrolled in a law-related Masters program at one of the best schools in the world, but due to financial and family issues, I withdrew. I studied for a month and then took the LSAT, because I realize that the Masters program wasn't as focused as I would have liked (i.e, not enough concentration on law!)

Social: Interned at two different, well-known human rights organizations -- one in my hometown and one in the Middle East (six months apiece). Avid volunteer with a third, where I've demonstrated a lot of involvement, a job, and currently applying for a second job. Started two socially-minded clubs while in school. AmeriCorps alum.

Work: Lots of employment throughout school. Currently employed in a lower-level management position at a medium-sized local business.

Other: Neither parents went to college. Not a URM.

So: what do you think my chances are for admissions this cycle? All of the above information was included in my applications... and then some! I put out applications to: Quinnipiac, Syracuse, Albany, Cardozo, William & Mary, Villanova, BU, and Northeastern. Some of my family members actually requested Yale and Harvard rejection letters (a little sick, no? :P) so they financed applications for there, too.

Really looking forward to hearing what some of you have to say. Thanks in advance. Also, if my post doesn't belong here, I apologize.

Kevinlomax

Re: 155 & 3.47 GPA...

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:08 am

every single person is gonna say "re-take the lsat because with that GPA a high LSAT score can open a lot of doors for you"

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 am

you will probably get into Quinnipiac, syracuse and Albany. Cardozo wait list and nova wait list. Zero chance at any of the other schools except maybe waitlist at Northeastern.

Harvard and Yale LOL

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:24 am

kurtvonnegut wrote:Hi there, first post here and have lurked a bit around TLS. Just looking for some feedback on what I should expect from law schools, beyond what I've read here and elsewhere. Any [friendly] feedback or words will really be appreciated. :D

Academic: My cumulative GPA is skewed because CAS took into account courses I took before graduating high school. Graduated from high school in 2010, graduated with an AS in 2010 as well. My BA came from a school ranked between 20-30 in "Regional Universities, North" on US News. I took an academic leave in 2012, enrolled in a school in the Middle East, then transferred those credits back to graduate. I was enrolled in a law-related Masters program at one of the best schools in the world, but due to financial and family issues, I withdrew. I studied for a month and then took the LSAT, because I realize that the Masters program wasn't as focused as I would have liked (i.e, not enough concentration on law!)

Social: Interned at two different, well-known human rights organizations -- one in my hometown and one in the Middle East (six months apiece). Avid volunteer with a third, where I've demonstrated a lot of involvement, a job, and currently applying for a second job. Started two socially-minded clubs while in school. AmeriCorps alum.

Work: Lots of employment throughout school. Currently employed in a lower-level management position at a medium-sized local business.

So: what do you think my chances are for admissions this cycle? All of the above information was included in my applications... and then some! I put out applications to: Quinnipiac, Syracuse, Albany, Cardozo, William & Mary, Villanova, BU, and Northeastern. Some of my family members actually requested Yale and Harvard rejection letters (a little sick, no? :P) so they financed applications for there, too.

Really looking forward to hearing what some of you have to say. Thanks in advance. Also, if my post doesn't belong here, I apologize.

Your post is fine, and welcome to the board. You will not be able to get into any law school worth attending with your current credentials. Now, before you get boiling with indignation, understand that I'm not telling you that to be a jerk, I'm telling you that because that's what you need to hear right now. Quinnipiac, Syracuse, Albany, Villanova, and Northeastern are all not good schools. You will struggle to pay off the debts you will accrue there because the odds will be stacked against you for getting a job, much less a well paying one. Cardozo is mediocre at best, and will probably not let you in. William and Mary and BU are both fine schools, but they will open your file, glance at your numbers, see you're not URM and haven't cured cancer yet, and they will move you into the auto-reject pile. I'm not going to tell you what you already know about Yale and Harvard.

You need to retake, or you need to find better ways to spend 150 thousand dollars. If you get above a 160, you start to be in the range where you can go to some schools worth attending. Practice until you are consistently getting high 160s or low 170s, then take the LSAT. Do your research. Most of the schools you applied to will give you less than a 50% chance of becoming a lawyer.

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:03 pm

isuperserial wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:Hi there, first post here and have lurked a bit around TLS. Just looking for some feedback on what I should expect from law schools, beyond what I've read here and elsewhere. Any [friendly] feedback or words will really be appreciated. :D

Your post is fine, and welcome to the board. You will not be able to get into any law school worth attending with your current credentials. Now, before you get boiling with indignation, understand that I'm not telling you that to be a jerk, I'm telling you that because that's what you need to hear right now. Quinnipiac, Syracuse, Albany, Villanova, and Northeastern are all not good schools. You will struggle to pay off the debts you will accrue there because the odds will be stacked against you for getting a job, much less a well paying one. Cardozo is mediocre at best, and will probably not let you in. William and Mary and BU are both fine schools, but they will open your file, glance at your numbers, see you're not URM and haven't cured cancer yet, and they will move you into the auto-reject pile. I'm not going to tell you what you already know about Yale and Harvard.

You need to retake, or you need to find better ways to spend 150 thousand dollars. If you get above a 160, you start to be in the range where you can go to some schools worth attending. Practice until you are consistently getting high 160s or low 170s, then take the LSAT. Do your research. Most of the schools you applied to will give you less than a 50% chance of becoming a lawyer.

Thanks a lot for your post.

You've told me a lot of what I needed to hear, which supplements what I've read on here and elsewhere.

I should have mentioned that I did hear back from William and Mary a few days ago. My decision status there is "Review Complete: Hold for Further Reviews".

Thanks again... I don't think I will take up Quinnipiac, 'Cuse, Albany, Villanova, or Northeastern on offers (if I'm lucky enough to get admitted to any of them) unless I receive a sizable scholarship package (by a miracle!)

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:19 pm

PMed you since I had similar stats before my retake. Hope you make the right decision

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:16 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:Thanks again... I don't think I will take up Quinnipiac, 'Cuse, Albany, Villanova, or Northeastern on offers (if I'm lucky enough to get admitted to any of them) unless I receive a sizable scholarship package (by a miracle!)

Honestly, I wouldn't go to those schools even if they gave you full rides. You really need to add some points before the whole law school thing starts making sense. A retake after some solid studying could do you a world of good.

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:25 pm

You were right! Waitlisted at Cardozo, accepted to Quinnipiac, Syracuse, and CUA. Also "Review complete: awaiting further review" from William and Mary. I am taking the fact that I have received no rejections so far as good news.

Kevinlomax wrote:you will probably get into Quinnipiac, syracuse and Albany. Cardozo wait list and nova wait list. Zero chance at any of the other schools except maybe waitlist at Northeastern.

Harvard and Yale LOL

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

So, here's an update. Any thoughts?

Rejected:
Harvard
Boston University

Accepted:
Albany
Syracuse
Quinnipiac
Suffolk
CUA

Waitlist:
William & Mary
University Connecticut
Northeastern
Villanova
Cardozo

No response:
Yale

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:So, here's an update. Any thoughts?

Rejected:
Harvard
Boston University

Accepted:
Albany
Syracuse
Quinnipiac
Suffolk
CUA

Waitlist:
William & Mary
University Connecticut
Northeastern
Villanova
Cardozo

No response:
Yale

Any info on scholarships? With something substantial, those choices aren't necessarily horrifying.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Just consider your $ lost from the applications. The process of sending out applications is nothing in the long run, and there is no way that any offer from those schools becomes relevant if you can boost your score by 10 points. You have no commitment at all yet except a few hours, and a few hundred dollars. With the knowledge you now have attending one of them is the kind of decision that you'll regret for the rest of your life. Just pretend you haven't taken the LSAT or applied, and start back from square one. In essence, it's really like you are starting at square one because there's no relevance if you don't attend as the highest score is the one that counts.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 am

Write off this year, retake the LSAT after long and careful preparation. There is virtually no scenario in which going to law school with a 155 makes sense.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 pm

:o without money, none of those schools are going to be worth it. I'm in at Villanova and considering it. They've offered me a full scholarship with 162 - consider that, seven points to go from waitlist to have them banging down your door to go to their institution. I've also withdrawn from Northeastern (full-scholarship), and the other schools weren't of interest to me. You need to retake in June, get your score up (I went from a 149 to a 162 with a month of prep), and then reapply for next year. $200k debt for anything not T14 does not compute.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:04 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:So, here's an update. Any thoughts?

Accepted:
Albany
Syracuse
Quinnipiac
Suffolk
CUA

Most people wouldn't bet $200 on these odds, much less $200,000 (and three years of hard work).

Percent of class working as lawyers:

Albany - 50.2%
Syracuse - 45.4%
Quinnipiac - 41.1%
Suffolk - 39.1%
CUA - 36.6% of

(Someone needs to make a phpBB extension that automatically links school names to their LST page.)
Last edited by d cooper on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohioguy99

Postby ohioguy99 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm

You have some interesting softs and a pretty solid GPA. Going to law school with a 155 LSAT wouldn't be a good idea. Going to Albany for very cheap wouldn't be a terrible choice, but even with a few more points, you can really enhance your options.

Retake is what I'd say.

If you truly can't, don't want to, etc, I guess Albany.

kurtvonnegut

Postby kurtvonnegut » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I do have some okay offers from schools: $30,000/yr from Albany & Syracuse, $35,000/yr from Quinnipiac (being considered for $5K more/full-ride). UNH also accepted me, but with $20,000/yr. ———thoughts? Should I really follow the popular advice and pretend like this all never happened? Hah.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:21 pm

kurtvonnegut wrote:Should I really follow the popular advice and pretend like this all never happened? Hah.
Yes.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kurtvonnegut wrote:Should I really follow the popular advice and pretend like this all never happened? Hah.
Yes.

Seconded. Except don't pretend it never happened; learn from your mistakes and do it right next year!

Return to “What are my chances?”