Worth applying to Yale? (3.5x/178)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AdInfinitum

Worth applying to Yale? (3.5x/178)

Postby AdInfinitum » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Unfortunately there's very few people on mylsn.info with my numbers. I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile throwing in an app to Yale. I applied to Harvard, since although unlikely there's an incredibly small chance I could get accepted now. Yale's floor doesn't seem to have come down as much as Harvard's though. Do I have any chance?

I'm non-URM.

Pneumonia

Re: Worth applying to Yale? (3.5x/178)

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 pm

I have nearly identical stats and got an interview at Harvard. I did not apply to Yale.

LochnerMonster

Postby LochnerMonster » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:46 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Unfortunately there's very few people on mylsn.info with my numbers. I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile throwing in an app to Yale. I applied to Harvard, since although unlikely there's an incredibly small chance I could get accepted now. Yale's floor doesn't seem to have come down as much as Harvard's though. Do I have any chance?

I'm non-URM.

YLS is very unlikely, unless you have an extremely compelling explanation for that GPA. As in, you had a completely debilitating illness that tanked your grades for one semester, but you maintained a 4.0 every other semester.

How strong are your softs? Feel free to PM me.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 am

I have a few friends at YLS and none of the people I know had less than a 3.7, URMs included. You can try- it might be compelling to them if you write a really good essay/ 250 and have a legitimate reason for your GPA. As the saying goes, you can't win the lottery unless you play. Still, and this is coming from someone who is applying with a GPA around yours and a much less impressive LSAT score, I'm not going to being searching for New Haven apartments in this lifetime.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 am

Yale's low GPA this past year was a 3.13. http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

But obviously you're going to need a compelling application to get in with those kinds of numbers.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:38 am

midwest17 wrote:Yale's low GPA this past year was a 3.13. http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

But obviously you're going to need a compelling application to get in with those kinds of numbers.

the info behind that link can't possibly be right. Yale admitted someone with a 152 LSAT? I don't care who you are. URM, 4.0+ GPA, you are not getting Yale with a 152 LSAT. Your application is laughed at all the way to the trash can.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Yale's low GPA this past year was a 3.13. http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

the info behind that link can't possibly be right. Yale admitted someone with a 152 LSAT? I don't care who you are. URM, 4.0+ GPA, you are not getting Yale with a 152 LSAT. Your application is laughed at all the way to the trash can.

Well, that's coming directly from Yale, so they're either lying, haven't gotten around to fixing an error that I'm sure a billion people have pointed out, or it happened.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:

Maybe it was a Rhodes or Marshall Scholar who is a bad standardized test-taker. I would guess that whoever that person was- and I would bet that Yale's materials aren't factually inaccurate- they were extraordinarily impressive in almost every other category YLS evaluates in order to make up for that score. Same goes for the person with the 3.13.

aviatrixsteff

Postby aviatrixsteff » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 am

The 152 could have been an ex-presidents grandkid or something like that. I'm sure a few spots are left for thise situations.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 am

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 am

How much would that app even cost? Just do apply and pray bro.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 am

LochnerMonster wrote:
AdInfinitum wrote:Unfortunately there's very few people on mylsn.info with my numbers. I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile throwing in an app to Yale. I applied to Harvard, since although unlikely there's an incredibly small chance I could get accepted now. Yale's floor doesn't seem to have come down as much as Harvard's though. Do I have any chance?

I'm non-URM.

YLS is very unlikely, unless you have an extremely compelling explanation for that GPA. As in, you had a completely debilitating illness that tanked your grades for one semester, but you maintained a 4.0 every other semester.

Unfortunately my softs are probably average/slightly above average (for a K-JD). I'm also not a ex-President's grandkid or a Rhodes Scholar =P.

Considering the debt I'll have regardless I might just throw in an application to say I tried. You guys seem to be saying Yale might to crazy stuff sometimes so maybe I'll win the lottery.

LochnerMonster

Postby LochnerMonster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 am

AdInfinitum wrote:
LochnerMonster wrote:

I'm non-URM.

Unfortunately my softs are probably average/slightly above average (for a K-JD). I'm also not a ex-President's grandkid or a Rhodes Scholar =P.

Considering the debt I'll have regardless I might just throw in an application to say I tried. You guys seem to be saying Yale might to crazy stuff sometimes so maybe I'll win the lottery.

This is the non URM person who got in with the 3.13 (and a 177 LSAT):

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=82603

Lots of his profile is scrubbed. According to another TLS poster: "As I understood it (and I can't remember where exactly I read this), he had some insane story for terrible first-year grades and a 3.8+ the rest of the way, plus baller softs."

Source: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=214534

This reinforces the notion that for a very low GPA, you need a *really* good excuse and to be otherwise bullet-proof. Not trying to be mean, but I think it would be a waste of money to send in the application.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't think a good excuse for a low GPA even comes close to helping you get into Yale. You really need some extraordinary soft factors to get in with a sub-3.8. A few years ago the low GPA for Yale was 3.61, and the year before that it was 3.41, so unless you have a good reason to think you are in the top 1% of applicants when it comes to non-numerical factors other than ethnicity, I wouldn't waste the money.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

application to Yale is $60 bucks, right? I don't think it's absurd to apply unless you are going to skip a meal because of it.

StillCutty

Postby StillCutty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Just kill the 250 word essay with something thoughtful and indicative of your virtuous character.

Also, how did you prep for LSAT? Yale will give you a lil' keybump if you didn't take any prep classes and studied solo. Conversely, if you took a powerscore class or something, that can work against you. They ask for this on the app. Either way I'd do it. It'll be $85 bucks total (yale fee + LSAC $25).

Fuckin' miracles bro, they're real.

residentemma

Postby residentemma » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:39 pm

teampeeta wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:

Maybe it was a Rhodes or Marshall Scholar who is a bad standardized test-taker. I would guess that whoever that person was- and I would bet that Yale's materials aren't factually inaccurate- they were extraordinarily impressive in almost every other category YLS evaluates in order to make up for that score. Same goes for the person with the 3.13.

plot twist: it's the same person

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 am

IMO, it's worth it unless the $85 is a substantial burden.

Return to “What are my chances?”