180/3.15 URM 1st Gen - Where would you apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
spleenworship

Re: 180/3.15 URM 1st Gen - Where would you apply?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Apply T14. And enjoy HYS.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 pm

I hate to be the one to point this out, but OP is the highest scoring member of any ethnicity in any year. Last time I checked, the test was out of 180. Perfect is perfect regardless of his skin color.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm

teampeeta wrote:I hate to be the one to point this out, but OP is the highest scoring member of any ethnicity in any year. Last time I checked, the test was out of 180. Perfect is perfect regardless of his skin color.

Notsureifsrs.gif

Like, you are aware that a 180/3.15 from a URM is worth like, way more than the same scores from Whitey McWhiterson right?

If this an attempt to make some point re: Aff. Action, you are both in the wrong thread and dumb.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:
teampeeta wrote:I hate to be the one to point this out, but OP is the highest scoring member of any ethnicity in any year. Last time I checked, the test was out of 180. Perfect is perfect regardless of his skin color.

Notsureifsrs.gif

Like, you are aware that a 180/3.15 from a URM is worth like, way more than the same scores from Whitey McWhiterson right?

If this an attempt to make some point re: Aff. Action, you are both in the wrong thread and dumb.

Yes, I am aware. But that wasn't what the poster said. It was that OP might be the single highest scoring member of his ethnicity this cycle. I was just pointing out, regardless of the advantages his PR background may confer in admissions, that the OP's score is perfect. As such, it wouldn't matter whether he was white, brown, yellow, or purple, his score would be the highest of anyone's in any year. It's the difference between being thought of as the best of the "minority candidates" in terms of LSAT score, and the best of all law school applicants in terms of LSAT score. The poster in question's insinuation, at least as I read it, was the former. And I didn't appreciate the tone.

That's why I wrote what I wrote. I'm not interested in an affirmative action debate either.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 pm

teampeeta wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Notsureifsrs.gif

Yes, I am aware. But that wasn't what the poster said. It was that OP might be the single highest scoring member of his ethnicity this cycle. I was just pointing out, regardless of the advantages his PR background may confer in admissions, that the OP's score is perfect. As such, it wouldn't matter whether he was white, brown, yellow, or purple, his score would be the highest of anyone's in any year. It's the difference between being thought of as the best of the "minority candidates" in terms of LSAT score, and the best of all law school applicants in terms of LSAT score. The poster in question's insinuation, at least as I read it, was the former. And I didn't appreciate the tone.

That's why I wrote what I wrote. I'm not interested in an affirmative action debate either.

The point was that if a school rejects a white person with a 180, as top schools often do, they can always just grab another one. Not the case with this guy. As a result, his GPA is likely to be much more readily overlooked than he might have otherwise expected.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Notsureifsrs.gif

The point was that if a school rejects a white person with a 180, as top schools often do, they can always just grab another one. Not the case with this guy. As a result, his GPA is likely to be much more readily overlooked than he might have otherwise expected.

I gotcha, Tiago, and I understood your conclusion from the poster's comment when I read the comment myself. His 180 might stand him in better stead given his low GPA because there are fewer minorities who have 180s than non-minority applicants. I just didn't like the tone of his response. I might be a bit sensitive to it as a person of color, but I feel like sometimes in the context of admissions, people get thought of as the best minority candidate instead of the best candidate. I get that affirmative action exists and gives certain ethnicities a leg up, but I don't think that means that every minority candidate gets what they get because they are that color. In this particular case, saying that this guy got a 180 and was potentially the highest scoring person of his ethnicity in this cycle seemed to be minimizing the accomplishment. It was like saying, "you run the fastest of the able-bodied people" or "you spoke well for a non-native speaker" or "you did the best on the test of all those minorities over there". It's a backhanded compliment at best and insulting at worst. I just felt that the fact that the OP got a 180 on the LSAT and that was the highest score anyone can get, thereby making OP the highest scorer of any color in any year by definition, was worth mentioning.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Yale traditionally has a GPA floor of 3.5 but accepted someone with a 3.1 something last year, so definitely apply everywhere.

Ylvis01

Postby Ylvis01 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Thank you everyone! The general sense I am getting is to apply everywhere. Is that because it's a crapshoot and no one really knows who'd be willing to take me? Or is it bc you all think I stand a good chance at schools like Chicago and Columbia?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Dude you have a 180. You have a great chance at Columbia and Chicago. YHS are more iffy but you still have a shot, especially at Stanford and Harvard. Good luck!

Ylvis01

Postby Ylvis01 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Dude you have a 180. You have a great chance at Columbia and Chicago. YHS are more iffy but you still have a shot, especially at Stanford and Harvard. Good luck!

Thanks! You saw my GPA, right?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Ylvis01 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Dude you have a 180. You have a great chance at Columbia and Chicago. YHS are more iffy but you still have a shot, especially at Stanford and Harvard. Good luck!

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Yes I did. Worst case scenario I say you split c/c. Check out the above link and keep in mind most people out perform LSP. Also apps are way down this year.

Ylvis01

Postby Ylvis01 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:50 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
Ylvis01 wrote:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Yes I did. Worst case scenario I say you split c/c. Check out the above link and keep in mind most people out perform LSP. Also apps are way down this year.

Haha. I live by LSP. All my friends did better than LSP suggested they would have. I'm applying in the fall of 2015. I don't think the economy will have rebounded much by then either so apps will probably be down.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 pm

For anyone lurking LSP is worthless for splitters, and not much better for everyone else. Use mylsn.info. For OP, nothing really helps because your numbers plus URM status make your situation very unique. But obviously you need to apply to all the top schools.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:For anyone lurking LSP is worthless for splitters, and not much better for everyone else. Use mylsn.info. For OP, nothing really helps because your numbers plus URM status make your situation very unique. But obviously you need to apply to all the top schools.

This is true.

DANY_09

Postby DANY_09 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 am

Nice post!

Return to “What are my chances?”