I am 29! Will be 30 for Fall of 2015

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kartelite

Re: I am 29! Will be 30 for Fall of 2015

Postby kartelite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I actually ran across this a few days after I made a post about wanting to pursue something other than a legal career. I'm not suggesting law school is the right route for any significant number of people who want to do something outside the legal profession, but Yale did have the audacity to post this on their website:

"My professional objective is to own and run a business as a manager and entrepreneur. I’ve done no legal internships during my time at YLS, and I plan to never practice law. I think YLS is not only a worthwhile investment—it’s also an under-rated (and surprisingly good) place to learn about business."

http://som.yale.edu/four-reasons-do-jdmba-yale

And again, I'm not suggesting OP should do law school over an MBA (I'm applying to joint as well as separate JD and MBA programs). I agree with most people that an MBA probably makes more sense for someone in his/her position right now, unless he/she really wants to practice law.
Last edited by kartelite on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 pm

kartelite wrote:I actually ran across this a few days after I made a post about wanting to pursue something other than a legal career. I'm not suggesting law school is the right route for any significant number of people who want to do something outside the legal profession, but Yale did have the audacity to post this on their website:

"My professional objective is to own and run a business as a manager and entrepreneur. I’ve done no legal internships during my time at YLS, and I plan to never practice law. I think YLS is not only a worthwhile investment—it’s also an under-rated (and surprisingly good) place to learn about business."

yes i think $300k is great value for four years of learning how to be a visionary entreperderer.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:51 pm

patogordo wrote:yes i think $300k is great value for four years of learning how to be a visionary entreperderer.

In my case, YLS or Yale JD/MBA would cost significantly less in terms of $ than HBS/Wharton/Sloan...

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 pm

kartelite wrote:I actually ran across this a few days after I made a post about wanting to pursue something other than a legal career. I'm not suggesting law school is the right route for any significant number of people who want to do something outside the legal profession, but Yale did have the audacity to post this on their website:

It is scaring me that Yale thinks they have to advertise their law school like the other shills. I guess even they realize that the cost of a JD- MBA is astronomical and hard to justify. Every law school website has a quote somewhere from a student who explains why what they did is a fantastic idea. This is just typical marketing stuff.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 pm

kartelite wrote:
patogordo wrote:yes i think $300k is great value for four years of learning how to be a visionary entreperderer.

In my case, YLS or Yale JD/MBA would cost significantly less in terms of $ than HBS/Wharton/Sloan...

Is that because they don't count your house as an asset so you will spend all your money paying off your mortgage and then be broke under their calculations?

Did you even get into Yale yet? I don't remember

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:56 pm

NYstate wrote:
kartelite wrote:
patogordo wrote:
Is that because they don't count your house as an asset so you will spend all your money paying off your mortgage and then be broke under their calculations?

Did you even get into Yale yet? I don't remember

Yes, that's it exactly it for the aid. I will confirm to make sure they're okay with it, but I don't see it being an issue.

I didn't get into YLS, and I'm under no assumption that I will, so I realize it's a pure hypothetical (I did already interview at SOM).

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

kartelite wrote:

Good to know that Yale posted that with your specific situation in mind.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:51 pm

patogordo wrote:

yes i think $300k is great value for four years of learning how to be a visionary entreperderer.

FinanceStudent28

Postby FinanceStudent28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:13 pm

NYstate wrote:Seriously. He could just have said thank you.

Two things:
1. Older students already have a bias against them for possibly having trouble working with younger, more experienced people. My firm wouldn't touch OP. Not that he cares because he will do his own thing.

Would you mind elaborating on this in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224632

I think some others may be interested. Thanks!

FinanceStudent28

Postby FinanceStudent28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:15 pm

danquayle wrote:From what I've gathered, law firms do age discriminate but not when you're in your 30s. I think the trap for older applicants that have given up solid careers is that it can become very discouraging if you struggle in the job market.

Anecdotally, most of the 25-35 cohort at my law school performed very well in law school. I attribute that purely to maturity. Oftentimes you're already married at that age, and the spouse is a major source of stability and support. That is if she can handle your stressful law school bullshit without divorcing you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224632

Would you care to elaborate on your experience and knowledge of age discrimination in that thread?

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah Max324, I think you forgot someone in your prediction...

Max324 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Not sure if troll or just sociopath

If he's an alt, this is my prediction:

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Joined TLS, in 2012. but you are at 1800+ post. This is a warning. What exactly can someone offer who spends this level of time on a blog?

k1a2t2i7e wrote:You joined this forum in September of 2009. It has been 1,600 days since you joined this forum, give or take a few. You have over 12,000 posts on here. That approximates 8 posts per day for 4.5 years. Assuming it takes you an average of 5 minutes per post (some take seconds, presumably you do some research for others) You have devoted 40 minutes per day for 1600 days to providing commentary or advice on here. Since you are a graduate of the class of 2013. Would it be safe to assume you did not post on here a whole lot during your first year (maybe second) of law school? If I can make that assumption I can push many of the averages UP for your post law school posting rate/averages. You have spent approximately 60,000 minutes on this blog alone, which translates to 1,000 hours, or 41 days...

You also forgot John1990. Max324, do not sell yourself short. You are one of the very best in the long list of TLS post-hijackers. So much time to criticize, but not time to give advice.

kalvano wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Take a break stalker.

john1990 wrote:Thats not healthy you need to stop stalking me man. Move on

john1990 wrote:why don't you stop obsessing over me its f'ed up

john1990 wrote:its fuckobvious.

The below would actually hold true, if actual advice was given. But it is way more accepting to allow others to hijack a thread and never give advice to the OP.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Legacy Rabbit, stop displaying your ignorance by calling TLS a blog and ad hominem-ing people's arguments by suggesting the amount of time they spend here has anything to do with the quality of their advice.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=222647&start=50

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:20 pm

jmjm wrote:
k1a2t2i7e wrote:What is so off putting? I tried to stick to the facts, and share my opinions where necessary. I am not on here to make friends. I need advice about something I don't know very much about. In several months of reading everything I can get my hands on and pouring through blogs on the subject I am no closer to being able to make a confident decision on the subject.

I have serious doubts about my ability to destroy the GMAT. Which I would almost certainly have to do.

There is a WIDE RANGE of responses about law school out there. The Princeton Review for example makes the case that all employment fields are struggling, and Law is still a decent choice. I have read through forums similar to this one where everyone is anti law school. I have read just the opposite on others. I don't think anyone is lying but rather their own personal experiences have shaped their opinions.

I'm not looking for flamers or trolls... I am looking for genuine advice backed up with substance. I have gotten some on here and I thank you folks. My resume isn't perfect. If I had the perfect job I wouldn't be looking elsewhere. I am in a financially wonderful spot but the long term prospects are terrible where I am.

If I am lucky enough to sneak into a T14, I will do everything I can to make it work for me, for my situation. Hopefully it turns out well. Even if it does not I will have an excellent education from an excellent institution.

My earlier discussion of law students being inexperienced isn't meant to be offensive, it is just a regurgitation of all the statistics I have seen. Many 1L's are under 24... depending where you look or who you ask that % can climb over 50%...

Your posts are not off putting OP, and some responses to your posts are inappropriate. Such responses show posters' inexperience and lack of perspective in the real world.

Your test score is a solid plus considering you were able to juggle it with a lead role at a for-profit company. The business world doesn't require and in fact discourages the type of things that lsat tests, so it's impressive that you were able to do well there.

I took GMAT a few years ago and it's a cakewalk compared to lsat. The math tested in GMAT is rudimentary and I don't see how a top lsat scorer can't do extremely well in GMAT.

+1

Please continue to share your cycle experience, if you decide to apply this cycle. However, if you apply next cycle. It is best to apply in October for maximum scholarship consideration.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:The below would actually hold true, if actual advice was given. But it is way more accepting to allow others to hijack a thread and never give advice to the OP.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Legacy Rabbit, stop displaying your ignorance by calling TLS a blog and ad hominem-ing people's arguments by suggesting the amount of time they spend here has anything to do with the quality of their advice.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&start=50

You'll have to pardon me, very few brains cells are firing at this point in the week. Why did you quote the above post?

Return to “What are my chances?”