Should I email my safety schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Adam0190

Should I email my safety schools?

Postby Adam0190 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Is it a good idea to email my safety schools that I am actually interested in them before they WL me? I am <25% GPA and >>75% LSAT at both, with no ties to either area. I am very interested in living in either of the places though, and if I can get a significant scholarship I would probably attend them over the higher ranked schools I have already gotten into.

One of the safety schools has put my app on hold until possibly April, and the other hasn't made a decision despite having my app since November. My thinking is that I may be better off with a big scholarship to a worse school in a region I like, than ~50% $$ to a better school in a region I'm not sure about. LSN shows people with similar GPAs and worse LSATs have already been accepted and offered $$ to both schools, so that's why I'm thinking it could be a YP issue.

guano

Re: Should I email my safety schools?

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Adam0190 wrote:Is it a good idea to email my safety schools that I am actually interested in them before they WL me? I am <25% GPA and >>75% LSAT at both, with no ties to either area. I am very interested in living in either of the places though, and if I can get a significant scholarship I would probably attend them over the higher ranked schools I have already gotten into.

One of the safety schools has put my app on hold until possibly April, and the other hasn't made a decision despite having my app since November. My thinking is that I may be better off with a big scholarship to a worse school in a region I like, than ~50% $$ to a better school in a region I'm not sure about. LSN shows people with similar GPAs and worse LSATs have already been accepted and offered $$ to both schools, so that's why I'm thinking it could be a YP issue.

um, wait. You're below their 25% GPA, and above their 75%? Splitter? Are those schools notoriously splitter-friendly? Otherwise, that doesn't sound like a safety.

But, you should absolutely let them know that you're interested (don't ask for scholly until you've been accepted) by sending in a LOCI or a Why X

Adam0190

Postby Adam0190 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 pm

guano wrote:
Adam0190 wrote:Is it a good idea to email my safety schools that I am actually interested in them before they WL me? I am <25% GPA and >>75% LSAT at both, with no ties to either area. I am very interested in living in either of the places though, and if I can get a significant scholarship I would probably attend them over the higher ranked schools I have already gotten into.

um, wait. You're below their 25% GPA, and above their 75%? Splitter? Are those schools notoriously splitter-friendly? Otherwise, that doesn't sound like a safety.

But, you should absolutely let them know that you're interested (don't ask for scholly until you've been accepted) by sending in a LOCI or a Why X

When I applied I only used LSAC predictions because I didn't know about LSN and they had me at 90-100% at each school. Looking at LSN over the last 5 cycles, almost everyone with my LSAT was accepted, or waitlisted, regardless of GPA. "Safety" may not have been the right word, but either way they are schools that I definitely expected to be accepted to, with rankings and numbers below other schools I have been accepted to

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 pm

If you didn't send in "Why X"s with your original application, you can do so now.

Return to “What are my chances?”