How much of a disadvantage is it to apply "late" Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dnptan

Bronze

How much of a disadvantage is it to apply "late"

Post by dnptan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi all,

With deadlines looming near, I just wanted info on how big a disadvantage it is to apply later. Particularly for H/S (I know Y doesn't care). Would it make a difference if I sent it in this week, or wait until the last day so I can get as much feedback from my essays and stuff?

If it depends on the numbers, I'm 173/3.81, up from 170 last cycle where I got WLd at H (sent app on the last day as well). Also coming in with better LoRs from my bosses (more than 1 full year working) which was my biggest reason not to apply before December.

Thanks for the input.

Kimikho

Gold

Re: How much of a disadvantage is it to apply "late"

Post by Kimikho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm

You should apply as early as possible with the best app possible. You shouldn't sacrifice quality for speed, but you also shouldn't be finished with your essays and just sitting there. Speed it up if you can though.

Also, why are you repeating the same mistake twice? What held up your apps this time around?

I see the LOR issue, but your essays and everything should be finished by now.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 pm

I never really saw it as a mistake to apply later. I wanted to write a completely new essay this year drawing on my full time employment. It's also been a pretty busy year for Intellectual Property (I work as an IP consultant). My sister was also involved in a serious accident which meant I had to reshuffle priorities for a few months while she recovered. I actually wrote my first PS regarding hit and run drivers and wanting to pursue criminal law, but after the emotions died down I decided to focus on IP again. Between that and retaking the LSAT, getting new recommendations and having a new idea for an essay - it's been kind of busy.

That being said, thanks for your reply! I feel like every time I edit my essay it gets better and better, which makes it hard for me to just submit it just because it's "done". I'm an engineer too, so writing isn't exactly my strongest asset on paper, so I feel pressured to really show them I can write. Oh humanities/social science people with your superior writing skills, sometimes how I envy you.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:27 pm

I know how that feels! Editing my PS for Yale has made me want to cry that I submitted it out to other schools.

Over-editing is a thing, though. I think in this case you might want to set a hard deadline for yourself (like...Sunday) as if it were an essay for a class. It sounds like you are viewing the app deadline as the "due date," and that might be pushing you to keep editing up until then. Then put your essays aside and never read them again.

jdom

New

Post by jdom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Something to read if you haven't already.

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... atter.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Fascinating post, thanks for that. I think I will wait until the end of Jan to submit. At this point it doesn't really make a big difference, does it?

Thanks for the responses all. Best of luck with your cycles.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:01 pm

scoobers wrote:I know how that feels! Editing my PS for Yale has made me want to cry that I submitted it out to other schools.
Why did you not submit to Yale when you submitted to the other schools? I submitted all mine at the same time (mid-January) and never gave much thought to timing.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm

kartelite wrote:
scoobers wrote:I know how that feels! Editing my PS for Yale has made me want to cry that I submitted it out to other schools.
Why did you not submit to Yale when you submitted to the other schools? I submitted all mine at the same time (mid-January) and never gave much thought to timing.
Yale doesn't do rolling decisions. I wanted more time to work on the 250 and see how my cycle was playing out before applying.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 pm

scoobers wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Yale doesn't do rolling decisions. I wanted more time to work on the 250 and see how my cycle was playing out before applying.
Wasn't aware of that, but that makes sense, thanks. I didn't notice a decision date for Yale (or specific information from most other schools), should I just go to the schools' websites to find out that info?

Also, do all the other top schools do rolling admissions then? The only one I knew for sure is that Columbia JD/MBA applications aren't considered until like February 15. Speaking of Columbia JD, their page shows only 2% of incoming students are 29+...I'm in my 30s, is there some age discrimination going on or is it purely self selection? I was optimistic about my chances as I have 3.8/176 (and 99th percentile GMAT) and would have thought a school in NYC would attract disproportionately older applicants, but after seeing that I'm a bit nervous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 pm

kartelite wrote:
scoobers wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Wasn't aware of that, but that makes sense, thanks. I didn't notice a decision date for Yale (or specific information from most other schools), should I just go to the schools' websites to find out that info?

Also, do all the other top schools do rolling admissions then? The only one I knew for sure is that Columbia JD/MBA applications aren't considered until like February 15. Speaking of Columbia JD, their page shows only 2% of incoming students are 29+...I'm in my 30s, is there some age discrimination going on or is it purely self selection? I was optimistic about my chances as I have 3.8/176 (and 99th percentile GMAT) and would have thought a school in NYC would attract disproportionately older applicants, but after seeing that I'm a bit nervous.
- self-selection
- you'll get into Columbia
- all law schools are rolling except for Yale. That's how people have already been accepted to so many schools.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 am

scoobers wrote:
- self-selection
- you'll get into Columbia
- all law schools are rolling except for Yale. That's how people have already been accepted to so many schools.
Thanks for the help - I've perused the forums a good bit but didn't realize that about Yale. I don't want to count any chickens on Columbia though, I got dinged at a b-school where I thought I was a lock and had a great interview. Are there any schools that generally seem more friendly to older students? I don't mean admissions, just where people in their 30s (no family, prefer a place with some non-college nightlife) tend to prefer going both for the experience and the opportunities coming out.

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 am

I submitted my app to H right around this time, with median stats, and got my interview scheduled about 5 weeks later. In general, I don't feel like it impacted my cycle it all in terms of admissions, but I definitely think there was an effect on scholarship numbers at other schools.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:31 am

Thanks for the tips all. Scholarships are not an issue since it's HYS and I'm not american (student loans are unrealistic). Just gotta go sticker, which I'll gladly do for HYS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”