2.9 GPA/157 LSAT. Chance at Santa Clara?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kraus1986

2.9 GPA/157 LSAT. Chance at Santa Clara?

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, so I didn't really get serious about school until my last two years of college so I have a 2.9 Cum. GPA and a 157 LSAT. I also have 4 letters of recommendation from a teacher and partners the law firm I have been interning at the last 3 years. My dad is an alum of Santa Clara and my sister is currently attending undergrad there. Do I have any chance of getting into Santa Clara University? Thanks.

BigZuck

Re: 2.9 GPA/157 LSAT. Chance at Santa Clara?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 am

kraus1986 wrote:Hi, so I didn't really get serious about school until my last two years of college so I have a 2.9 Cum. GPA and a 157 LSAT. I also have 4 letters of recommendation from a teacher and partners the law firm I have been interning at the last 3 years. My dad is an alum of Santa Clara and my sister is currently attending undergrad there. Do I have any chance of getting into Santa Clara University? Thanks.

That school has really terrible job placement and is very expensive. I would not attend under any circumstances. You don't stand a very good chance of acceptance either, which kind of makes that moot.

Don't go to law school unless you can bring that LSAT way up and get into a school with good employment outcomes. In CA, that pretty much just means Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 am

BigZuck wrote:
kraus1986 wrote:Hi, so I didn't really get serious about school until my last two years of college so I have a 2.9 Cum. GPA and a 157 LSAT. I also have 4 letters of recommendation from a teacher and partners the law firm I have been interning at the last 3 years. My dad is an alum of Santa Clara and my sister is currently attending undergrad there. Do I have any chance of getting into Santa Clara University? Thanks.

That school has really terrible job placement and is very expensive. I would not attend under any circumstances. You don't stand a very good chance of acceptance either, which kind of makes that moot.

Don't go to law school unless you can bring that LSAT way up and get into a school with good employment outcomes. In CA, that pretty much just means Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC.

Is Dad footing the bill? Can Dad guarantee a job at graduation? If the answer to both is yes, it could make sense to attend. If the answer is no, it would not be wise to attend a law school where 42% of graduates get hired to be lawyers.

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:15 am

Well actually he is footing the bill, and it has already been made somewhat clear that upon graduation I will be hired as a lawyer at the firm I currently work for. It employs ~90 lawyers at the moment and has offices in New Jersey, Manhattan, Chicago, and Philly. What I am asking is what my chances of acceptance are.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:46 am

Mylsn.info doesn't have many data points with your numbers, but within the past two years, there was a 156/2.8 accepted, and a 156/2.9 who was rejected. Going back ten years, the acceptance rate has been about %20, with none of the acceptances reporting any scholarship offers.

If you're a minority or have significant work experience since undergrad, that might affect your chances somewhat.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 am

I would get that somewhat clear clarified if I were you before devoting 3 years of your life to this venture. Free is good but 3 years is 3 years.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:I would get that somewhat clear clarified if I were you before devoting 3 years of your life to this venture. Free is good but 3 years is 3 years.

This. If you're working there right now, it's unlikely that they are going to come right out and say that you have no shot at working there unless you're top 10% of your class or something. You should get it in writing. A lot of people have been burned by stuff like this, and your firm does not sound like a place that will be wanting for better credentialed applicants.

Return to “What are my chances?”