Where do i stand?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LouieMaroto

Where do i stand?

Postby LouieMaroto » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Hey guys, currently im a junior at the University of Central Florida. I transferred here from the local Community College with a 3.0 attaining my Associate of Arts degree in General Studies. Since transferring tp UCF(majoring in Legal Studies) my GPA is currently at a 3.7, its brought up my cummlative GPA up to a 3.2, if i stay on track by the time i graduate it should be up to a 3.5. Every semester, i tend to get GPAs of anywhere from 3.5-4.0's. As for extra curricular activites, I'm currently in the Guardian ad a litem program, I work with an attorney who helps childrens in the dependency system to get them out and established, I'm on the moot court team at school, i''ve volunteered as a mentor for the local middle school a few semesters, i'm also currently interning at a local law firm, as well as an honors student at UCF. I have great letters of reccomendations from professors, and attorneys at my lawfirm. One of the things im hoping law school notice is that drastic change of my GPA from 3.0 at a community college, to a 3.7 at the Univeristy. Im preparing soon for the LSAT, on my first practice exam i got a 150, I hoping to bring that up to a 165+, how I plan on doing that? From what i've gathered on internet 3 months of intense studying plus a LSAT prep course is the way to go. If i can get that 165+ what are my chance of getting into a tier 1 school? Possibly one of the top 14 law schools? I really want to get into NYU, or Georgetown.

- Thank you. Any help is appreciated.

Tekrul

Re: Where do i stand?

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 pm

For nyu you need to shoot for ~170. There are some pretty good resources for LSAT study on this board, there is a forum dedicated to it with some good stickies. Books like the powerscore bibles are also pretty generally recommended but ultimately unnecessary for success. My highest recommendation would be to purchase lots of actual past LSAT tests, you can find them on amazon, and study while taking them at a measured pace.

You should get a good handle on your weaknesses on the test, which you'll only be able to know after taking a few tests, and seek appropriate study materials to strengthen those areas.

LouieMaroto

Postby LouieMaroto » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:19 pm

I've begun to purchase a variety of books that have been recommended and study them. Realistically, do I have a good chance of getting into some of these top tier 14 law schools with a 170 on the LSAT and my current GPA/extra curriculars. ?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:54 pm

paging phillywc

LouieMaroto

Postby LouieMaroto » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Bump

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Yes, bro, if you get a 170+ (with 3.7 GPA) then you will be in good shape for some T14 acceptances. Your extracurricular shit won't hold you back but full-time work experience will be a considerable plus for the job hunt grind, so consider getting some.

Return to “What are my chances?”