Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm currently a freshman going to a two year school. After I complete undergrad I want to attend Harvard law and enroll in their JD/LLM program. The spring semester has started already and I'm trying to get my gpa up as possible. Last semester was bad for me and I was able to pull off a 2.0. Since I have 3 more years left will I still be able to get a high gpa? Also if I score high enough on the LSAT will I still have a chance? If you to bash me or say how hopeless I am then go ahead, but seriously though.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby Clearly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Do well, and talk to us in 3 years.

User avatar
thewaves
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby thewaves » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Please stop trolling, you already created a thread asking if law school is a possibility for you. Come back when you have an LSAT score and are ready to apply.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm

jmcdaniel15 wrote:I'm currently a freshman going to a two year school. After I complete undergrad I want to attend Harvard law and enroll in their JD/LLM program. The spring semester has started already and I'm trying to get my gpa up as possible. Last semester was bad for me and I was able to pull off a 2.0. Since I have 3 more years left will I still be able to get a high gpa? Also if I score high enough on the LSAT will I still have a chance? If you to bash me or say how hopeless I am then go ahead, but seriously though.


presumably you mean JD program. one step at a time killer. however, 2.0 isn't a good portent. you need to drive up that GPA and then crush the LSAT.

in the meantime, go have fun.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby patogordo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm

jmcdaniel15 wrote:I'm currently a freshman going to a two year school. After I complete undergrad I want to attend Harvard law and enroll in their JD/LLM program. The spring semester has started already and I'm trying to get my gpa up as possible. Last semester was bad for me and I was able to pull off a 2.0. Since I have 3 more years left will I still be able to get a high gpa? Also if I score high enough on the LSAT will I still have a chance? If you to bash me or say how hopeless I am then go ahead, but seriously though.

shouldn't you be getting ready for the AFC championship game?

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 pm

ok first of all I'm not trolling. Secon I'm really taking this seriously since I really want to know if I stand a chance or not. So stop with the bs.

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 pm

@stillwater Harvard has a JD/LLM Program with Cambridge university.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

jmcdaniel15 wrote:@stillwater Harvard has a JD/LLM Program with Cambridge university.


again, one step at a time.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

patogordo wrote:shouldn't you be getting ready for the AFC championship game?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4140
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm

jmcdaniel15 wrote:ok first of all I'm not trolling. Secon I'm really taking this seriously since I really want to know if I stand a chance or not. So stop with the bs.


Theoretically, yes. I really, really, really doubt it, but yes, in theory.

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm

@TheSpanishMain nice seeing you again.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4140
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Yo. Still looking at Marine Corps JAG?

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 pm

yes

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 pm

By the way doesn't Haravrd or any other law school have a holistic approach which means one part of the application doesn't necessarily count you out? (Ex. Say if I was to have a a bad semester which I did, but I nailed my LSAT, Essays, Personal Statement, etc. doesn't that get my foot into the door as well?)

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby patogordo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:00 pm

jmcdaniel15 wrote:By the way doesn't Haravrd or any other law school have a holistic approach which means one part of the application doesn't necessarily count you out? (Ex. Say if I was to have a a bad semester which I did, but I nailed my LSAT, Essays, Personal Statement, etc. doesn't that get my foot into the door as well?)

read a dictionary, bro. holistic means "if there are any holes in your application we don't admit you".

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 pm

your weakness is apparent.

find a new field of interest.

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I know what holistic means. I'm just going by what a law school admissions counselor told me. And no they weren't from harvard.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4140
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

To a certain extent, yeah. One bad semester wouldn't preclude you getting in, provided you have an LSAT in the top 1% of test takers and crush every semester from here on out, ending up with a 3.8+ undergraduate GPA.

The fact that you were failing remedial classes in community college and write so poorly doesn't bode well, but, yeah, it's theoretically possible. Not trying to be an asshole, just giving you an honest assessment. I don't think Harvard Law/Marine Corps JAG is in the cards here.

User avatar
1Lin2015
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby 1Lin2015 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:14 pm

If you're asking if this is possible, the answer to your question is pretty straightforward.

1) You received a 2.0 your first semester. You have seven more semesters. Assuming you get a 4.0 in every semester, your cumulative will be a 3.75, which is right at their 25th percentile.

2) As others have mentioned, law schools typically take a holistic approach. I would not be surprised if after seven consecutive semesters of a 3.8+, they consider your gpa to be a 3.8+ (or very close to that). They will assume certain circumstances prohibited you from performing to your true ability during your first semester.

Aim for the 4.0 and get an LSAT score above Harvard's median and you will have a great shot. Of course, this isn't easy to do. You're starting at a significant disadvantage. In any case, it is possible. Work hard and good luck!

jmcdaniel15
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby jmcdaniel15 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:16 pm

@TheSpanishMain Dude I don't write poorly. I happend to be good at reading and writing. I'll admit I'm not that damn good, but atleast I know what to do and not to do on an essay or any other paper.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:16 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:If you're asking if this is possible, the answer to your question is pretty straightforward.

1) You received a 2.0 your first semester. You have seven more semesters. Assuming you get a 4.0 in every semester, your cumulative will be a 3.75, which is right at their 25th percentile.

2) As others have mentioned, law schools typically take a holistic approach. I would not be surprised if after seven consecutive semesters of a 3.8+, they consider your gpa to be a 3.8+ (or very close to that). They will assume certain circumstances prohibited you from performing to your true ability during your first semester.

Aim for the 4.0 and get an LSAT score above Harvard's median and you will have a great shot. Of course, this isn't easy to do. You're starting at a significant disadvantage. In any case, it is possible. Work hard and good luck!


wut

User avatar
1Lin2015
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby 1Lin2015 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 pm

stillwater wrote:


Whoops, just realized it was the OP who said that. Either way, he is right. Most law schools do emphasize their "holistic approach". Whether they stay true to this is debatable.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Just in case somebody doesn't get it and takes some troll seriously, let's be clear:

There is no such thing as 'holistic' law admissions, except in a few extreme cases.

Numbers are a sine qua non.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:
stillwater wrote:


Whoops, just realized it was the OP who said that. Either way, he is right. Most law schools do emphasize their "holistic approach". Whether they stay true to this is debatable.


its not debatable. its simply not true.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Chance of getting into Harvard law?

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:24 pm

your chance is less than 1%

good luck!
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests