4.13 outstanding softs, Rice grad but so so LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ramius

Re: 4.13 outstanding softs, Rice grad but so so LSAT

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am

teampeeta wrote:
drevo wrote:
Jetdriver69 wrote:Will graduate Summa Cum Laude at Rice but LSAT was 162 and don't have time for another. I studied my ass off for months with 168-175 PTs but the real test didn't click.

If you really were studying your ass off and taking timed PTs under strict conditions then here would be no "not clicking" going on. If it was text anxiety that's another thing, but the end result is the same: retake. You are capable of a way better score that'll get you a (probable) full ride where you want to go.

I disagree with this. Anyone can have a rough day regardless of how much they may have studied and taken practice tests under real conditions. There are a multitude of reasons the test may not have clicked and none of them may have to do with preparation.

OP, I would retake for more options. You could try for February, but if I were you, I'd probably try to get a job and retake in June or October. As others have said, if you want UT Austin, a higher score will get you a full ride (maybe 169+). The middle of your PT range makes you competitive at HYS and would give you lots of excellent scholarship options elsewhere.

I think the point was that it had nothing to do with the test not clicking. Instead, the OP had an off day based on all prior evidence, and therefore needs to retake.

OP, you have a rare opportunity to control your destiny like few others, in that not a single school in the country is off-limits. Take that opportunity seriously, retake and enjoy the rarified air of HYS or T14 likely for free. It's a much better place to be than you are at now with your current LSAT.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 am

Yeah, OP's softs really are just indicative of a rich kid. He studied abroad at the London School of Economics. How is this a soft? Name dropping LOR's also aren't such a boost, because they are not indicative of being a student. If you have a 4.13, there are likely professors from Rice whose input is much more valuable than a connection through your dad. Also, there is no way at 22, your time is so important you can't be bothered to go from having a 40% to an 80% chance of doing what you want for your career by attending HYS. Going to UT by itself won't lock in anything, and if you can't be bothered to retake the LSAT, I don't know how you wouldn't be able to be bothered to do the work needed to do well enough in law school to make your dreams a reality.

Jetdriver69

Postby Jetdriver69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

Did you get accepted and won a scholarship to the LSE? Did you win multiple high dollar MERIT scholarships? I didn't get a penny from Rice, thank you very much. I would like to see any of you out there maintain my GPA at a state school, let alone Rice. I never asked any of you "experts" about retaking, I asked about my chances combining my GPA and LSAT scores, nothing else. A rich kid, I wish. My father served over 20 years in the military and saved for my siblings education. Yes I have zero college debt right now, but it was because of my parents hard work not a government grant or loan. I am considering retaking and working for a year, I always have been. Again, that wasn't the frigging question!!! I am listening to advise from hiring consultants from major Houston law firms and O&G companies, not poster from this site. For those who genuinely tried to help, thank you. For those who have nothing better to do than ridicule or belittle, kiss my ass.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:20 am

he mad

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

Jetdriver69 wrote:Did you get accepted and won a scholarship to the LSE? Did you win multiple high dollar MERIT scholarships? I didn't get a penny from Rice, thank you very much. I would like to see any of you out there maintain my GPA at a state school, let alone Rice. I never asked any of you "experts" about retaking, I asked about my chances combining my GPA and LSAT scores, nothing else. A rich kid, I wish. My father served over 20 years in the military and saved for my siblings education. Yes I have zero college debt right now, but it was because of my parents hard work not a government grant or loan. I am considering retaking and working for a year, I always have been. Again, that wasn't the frigging question!!! I am listening to advise from hiring consultants from major Houston law firms and O&G companies, not poster from this site. For those who genuinely tried to help, thank you. For those who have nothing better to do than ridicule or belittle, kiss my ass.

Guys, he worked for a Congressman. Stop wasting his time.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 am

Jetdriver69 wrote:Did you get accepted and won a scholarship to the LSE? Did you win multiple high dollar MERIT scholarships? I didn't get a penny from Rice, thank you very much. I would like to see any of you out there maintain my GPA at a state school, let alone Rice. I never asked any of you "experts" about retaking, I asked about my chances combining my GPA and LSAT scores, nothing else. A rich kid, I wish. My father served over 20 years in the military and saved for my siblings education. Yes I have zero college debt right now, but it was because of my parents hard work not a government grant or loan. I am considering retaking and working for a year, I always have been. Again, that wasn't the frigging question!!! I am listening to advise from hiring consultants from major Houston law firms and O&G companies, not poster from this site. For those who genuinely tried to help, thank you. For those who have nothing better to do than ridicule or belittle, kiss my ass.

So if you're so smart and driven, retake to get a better score. Chill out, man. If your plan was just to post up on a site, and ask for confirmation you're a special snowflake, you should have said that. You should have said, "Don't tell me about my prospects. Tell me I'm special. I am special, right? Say I'm Special." This way people like me who would post objective analysis to give you the most constructive feedback possible would not have chimed in trying to help you. Your post was misleading, because it didn't specify you did not want constructive feedback, but just wanted to be told you're great. What you're going to find in this process is almost everyone at a top law school is smart, has had many cool achievements and that none of these things are sufficient. Showing off about your achievements before 22 unless you won a gold medal is a sign of complacency. The idea that going to the LSE makes the LSAT or your 1L grades less relevant is untrue. You did very well in college, congrats. I assure you that law school is much more competitive, and that your 4.13 won't get you any further than applying to law school. With your self-righteousness and sense of entitlement, you of all people need to go to HYS so your douchebaggery will be forgiven.
Last edited by PepperJack on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 am

midwest17 wrote:

Guys, he worked for a Congressman. Stop wasting his time.

Bro, all the best Houston law firms are telling him not to retake so he can grace them with his presence sooner. Word through the grapevine is both Mr. Baker and Mr. Botts of Baker Botts skipped a trial yesterday so they could call OP, and make sure he was starting right away. They even stopped the clocks at 4:13 PM, the time of the call and plan to keep all clocks in the building locked into 4:13 PM from now on as a commemoration to OP's scholarship to the LSE. It was national Jetdriver 69 day. Not to be outdone, Bracewell Giuliani is sending all of its partners out next Christmas to jerk off Jetdriver 69 in what is anticipated to be the first white Christmas in Houston in quite sometime.

Jetdriver69

Postby Jetdriver69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am

Fishy, fish, fish. Got you all hooked. I didn't even go to college and definitely not going to law school. I wouldn't even consider living in a shit state like Texas anyway. Do you really think a 4.13 GPA would only get a 1.62 LSAT? Didn't that ring a bell? You are all not as smart as you think. I really enjoyed the conversations, now on to another web site under a different made up name to stir things up. LOL! :twisted:

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 am

Jetdriver69 wrote:Fishy, fish, fish. Got you all hooked. I didn't even go to college and definitely not going to law school. I wouldn't even consider living in a shit state like Texas anyway. Do you really think a 4.13 GPA would only get a 1.62 LSAT? Didn't that ring a bell? You are all not as smart as you think. I really enjoyed the conversations, now on to another web site under a different made up name to stir things up. LOL! :twisted:

Lol @ thinking this qualifies as "stirring things up" on TLS. Thread didn't even make it to a third page.

Jetdriver69

Postby Jetdriver69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

Yes I know, but this site is too boring to spend too much time goofing with. Enjoy your litigating!

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Jetdriver69 wrote:Yes I know, but this site is too boring to spend too much time goofing with. Enjoy your litigating!

I'm sure you lead a very fulfilling life. You still seemed to take my comment very personally so I don't buy it. This should go to showing the general maturity of those who refuse to retake a silly test for what could be worth millions of dollars, and how crazy it is that in the end those who did things right will be liable for their foolishness in their yearly income taxes.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Jetdriver69 wrote:Yes I know, but this site is too boring to spend too much time goofing with. Enjoy your litigating!

This was pretty weak as a flame attempt. You absolutely had TLS giving you quality advice (hence on the hook), but you immediately gave up on goading us into group anger. If you had just been needlessly combative to the quality advice and thrown around a smack of special snowflake, a smear of egomaniacal ignorance and topped it off with abject logic fails, this thread probably could've continued for a few more pages. You gave up too early.

BTW, there are totally real people out there like you, so I wouldn't consider it quite as unbelievable as you make it sound (4+ GPA/15x-low 16x LSAT with special snowflake syndrome fogging up their rational thought). So thank you for providing that poor misinformed soul a template for the advice they will also expect to get.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:

This was pretty weak as a flame attempt. You absolutely had TLS giving you quality advice (hence on the hook), but you immediately gave up on goading us into group anger. If you had just been needlessly combative to the quality advice and thrown around a smack of special snowflake, a smear of egomaniacal ignorance and topped it off with abject logic fails, this thread probably could've continued for a few more pages. You gave up too early.

BTW, there are totally real people out there like you, so I wouldn't consider it quite as unbelievable as you make it sound (4+ GPA/15x-low 16x LSAT with special snowflake syndrome fogging up their rational thought). So thank you for providing that poor misinformed soul a template for the advice they will also expect to get.

The Q is how and why would someone who never went to college know so much about the admissions process? That's either really sad or really fishy.

Additionally, the presumption that the retake sentiment stinks of elitism and is combative is very unfortunate. I know at Kaplan there was a sentiment that students should ignore TLS, because the posters were cruel and lacked social skills. In actuality, this was likely self-serving as telling students that going to law school with a 155 was likely career suicide would threaten the whole business model.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Retake

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Jetdriver69 wrote:The area around Rice University and the museum district is a sea of liberalism. If my father didn't work an oil company, there is no way we would live here. But there is tons of employment opportunities, both legal wise and in other industries. Housing is dirt cheap, 5000 sq ft with pool in a nice suburban neighborhood is around 550-600K. However around the museum district/downtown housing is very expensive!

Jetdriver69 wrote:I have talked with numerous big law firms, corporate lawyers and a couple of federal judges. All them told me that after two years out of law school, no one cares if I went to UT Law or any of the T14s if you are practicing in Texas. In fact, there seems to be a large network of UT lawyers that were Rice alums that practice big law down here.

My question, is it worth the significant extra cost to attend a T14 school when I can get the same job in oil and gas or big law in Texas as if I attended UT Austin? To qualify my question, I have zero interest in a position either on the east coast or California. Also, my parents are funding law school with the caveat of future repayment. I would rather owe my parents $120K than $240K.

LJL at the idea of this being a troll who never went to college and not just some poster whose feelings got hurt because he was given advice to not waste his impressive GPA and go into $170K of debt when he could retake and get a full ride from UT.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm

I think he's meta-trolling. Him revealing himself to be such an inefficient troll might be trolling.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

koalacity wrote:
Jetdriver69 wrote:The area around Rice University and the museum district is a sea of liberalism. If my father didn't work an oil company, there is no way we would live here. But there is tons of employment opportunities, both legal wise and in other industries. Housing is dirt cheap, 5000 sq ft with pool in a nice suburban neighborhood is around 550-600K. However around the museum district/downtown housing is very expensive!

Jetdriver69 wrote:I have talked with numerous big law firms, corporate lawyers and a couple of federal judges. All them told me that after two years out of law school, no one cares if I went to UT Law or any of the T14s if you are practicing in Texas. In fact, there seems to be a large network of UT lawyers that were Rice alums that practice big law down here.

My question, is it worth the significant extra cost to attend a T14 school when I can get the same job in oil and gas or big law in Texas as if I attended UT Austin? To qualify my question, I have zero interest in a position either on the east coast or California. Also, my parents are funding law school with the caveat of future repayment. I would rather owe my parents $120K than $240K.

LJL at the idea of this being a troll who never went to college and not just some poster whose feelings got hurt because he was given advice to not waste his impressive GPA and go into $170K of debt when he could retake and get a full ride from UT.

This.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm

This thread sucks

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 am

Still a rich white kid that isn't actually very smart. Trolling or not, that is clearly the case.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 am

BigZuck wrote:Retake

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 am

Jetdriver69 wrote:Fishy, fish, fish. Got you all hooked. I didn't even go to college and definitely not going to law school. I wouldn't even consider living in a shit state like Texas anyway. Do you really think a 4.13 GPA would only get a 1.62 LSAT? Didn't that ring a bell? You are all not as smart as you think. I really enjoyed the conversations, now on to another web site under a different made up name to stir things up. LOL! :twisted:

This is the most retarded "reveal" of all time. There's no joke here. It's just dumb.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

This is the most retarded "reveal" of all time. There's no joke here. It's just dumb.

It was pretty good, like when Cartman reveals his true intentions to Kyle.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm

midwest17 wrote:

Lol @ thinking this qualifies as "stirring things up" on TLS. Thread didn't even make it to a third page.

Lulz

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Retake

db1990

Postby db1990 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Trolls gonna troll.

Return to “What are my chances?”