4.13 outstanding softs, Rice grad but so so LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jetdriver69

New

4.13 outstanding softs, Rice grad but so so LSAT

Post by Jetdriver69 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Will graduate Summa Cum Laude at Rice but LSAT was 162 and don't have time for another. I studied my ass off for months with 168-175 PTs but the real test didn't click. Wanting UT Austin and to practice in oil and gas in Houston. I did a semester at London School of Economics, interned at House of Commons for a MP and did internships with US Representatives. Letters from former Harvard profs, Congressmen and Brit MP.

Will my GPA overcome the LSAT for UT?

FredJones

New

Re: 4.13 outstanding softs, Rice grad but so so LSAT

Post by FredJones » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Last edited by FredJones on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 am

Probably not getting in at UT with that LSAT but not completely hopeless since they heavily prefer Texas residents. You aren't by chance a URM are you? That would increase your chances substantially.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 am

Jetdriver69 wrote:Will graduate Summa Cum Laude at Rice but LSAT was 162 and don't have time for another. I studied my ass off for months with 168-175 PTs but the real test didn't click. Wanting UT Austin and to practice in oil and gas in Houston. I did a semester at London School of Economics, interned at House of Commons for a MP and did internships with US Representatives. Letters from former Harvard profs, Congressmen and Brit MP.

Will my GPA overcome the LSAT for UT?
Unless your categories of LORs are overlapping, it sounds like you have a minimum of 5.

UT takes a maximum of three LORs. Under no circumstances should you exceed that limit.

Also, hopefully at least one of those "former Harvard profs" taught you in an actual academic setting. You need at least one academic LOR, especially as a KJD. The letters from Congressmen and the MP will only be helpful if they were your direct supervisors and can speak very specifically about you. "X interned in my office and was a great asset to the team" will be useless.

Also, it's false that you don't have time for another LSAT. You can take a year off and apply next cycle. You clearly won't have any trouble finding something to do to occupy that year. If you choose not to, fine, but at least acknowledge that you're making a choice not to raise your LSAT.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:40 am

Your GPA is good enough to attend Retake St. University. Don't waste that opportunity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Anecdotal, but knew someone with basically the exact same stats a couple years ago and they were waitlisted. If you did squeak in off the WL, Texas wouldn't be worth sticker anyways so retake.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Oh yeah, and if George W. can't get into Texas Law with his softs, I doubt yours are going to carry you either.

Kitakk

New

Post by Kitakk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:42 am

On the off chance you haven't gotten this advice already: retake the LSAT and wait a year. Get a 170+ and go to HYS. Do not waste that GPA.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 am

Kitakk wrote:On the off chance you haven't gotten this advice already: retake the LSAT and wait a year. Get a 170+ and go to HYS. Do not waste that GPA.
I loled

Clearly you missed his rage quit on one of his numerous threads

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”