154/2.8 URM chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
toostressed

154/2.8 URM chances?

Postby toostressed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:09 pm

So my LSAT score and GPA suck, but I was wondering what my chances were being a female, URM (AA), and army vet. I had a very unique situation that prompted my interest in law school, and explains my low GPA (which I explained in an addendum). For what it's worth my degree GPA is 3.4. I wrote my PS about my deployment to Iraq and the chaos that I had to deal with when I came home. I've been told that my PS is solid by two attorneys and a lit prof. I applied to a wide range if schools because I didn't know how much being a URM and vet would affect admissions. Anyway, I'm concerned about the outcome of my apps to Boston (Coll and U), UW, GW, American, and Colorado. If this cycle is a wash I'll retake and try again next year. Thanks!

TheSpanishMain

Re: 154/2.8 URM chances?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:11 pm

You might try the URM forum to get a sense of how much the AA boost will help you, but I can tell you as a veteran that I am definitely overperforming my numbers. It's not going to rocket you WAY past where you should be, but it's definitely a nice nudge.

My concern is your school list. It doesn't make a lot of geographic sense. Where do you want to practice? Those are all regional schools. For example, BC/BU really only make sense if you want to work in Massachusetts. UW only makes sense if you want to work in the Pacific Northwest. And I'd forget about American completely...it's a dump. Barely a third of their graduating class gets jobs.

I'd strongly consider retaking if I were you. The mid-150s means you at least grasp the fundamentals, so you can definitely improve. Every point opens up new doors. Good luck!

toostressed

Postby toostressed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks for your response!

I want to practice in Alaska, and since there are no law schools there, I did some very unscientific research to identify for the schools with the most representation in Anchorage. I tried to focus more on mid-to-low T1 to T2 schools. I found Seattle, Lewis & Clark, UW, and Williamette to have a huge presence there (duh, right?). But Denver and Colorado are well represented as well. There seems to be a mix of many different schools, and the ones I'm applying to all have some alumni practicing in AK.

As far as the LSAT, I know I can do better. I studied for about a month and was PTing from 163 - 168. I pretty much panicked when test day came. I literally froze for two minutes during the first section and ran out of time on all the sections.

Anyway, thanks again!

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:50 pm

OP, I would suggest you retake irrespective of AA. If you improve even 6 points, you're in much better position. The being female doesn't matter, and if anything is a detriment, because it's AA males who for some reason score much lower than AA females on average.

I would also suggest you look closely into how much you'll be paying per year, especially if you want to work in Alaska. Big law at the top firms in Anchorage only pay about 70k/year (i.e. under half of other markets) despite the fact the average GDP in Alaska is #1 in the nation and the COL is normally the highest in the nation because of how expensive gas, electricity and food is. With an average income of about 52k per person statewide, billing 2k hours per year for 70k isn't such a great deal for the 1% who will get such an opportunity.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Also, of what state are you a resident? Are you GI Bill eligible?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm

op wrote:As far as the LSAT, I know I can do better. I studied for about a month and was PTing from 163 - 168. I pretty much panicked when test day came. I literally froze for two minutes during the first section and ran out of time on all the sections.

You absolutely need to retake...
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:11 pm

PepperJack wrote:OP, I would suggest you retake irrespective of AA. If you improve even 6 points, you're in much better position. The being female doesn't matter, and if anything is a detriment, because it's AA males who for some reason score much lower than AA females on average.

Actually AA males score slightly better. However there are way fewer AA males than females applying. So AA male scores are rarer.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm

PepperJack wrote:OP, I would suggest you retake irrespective of AA. If you improve even 6 points, you're in much better position. The being female doesn't matter, and if anything is a detriment, because it's AA males who for some reason score much lower than AA females on average.

Regarding the bolded, it's actually the reverse that's true. AA males score slightly higher than females, BUT there is a much smaller number of them applying compared to females, hence the bigger boost.

And to the OP, your being a vet and an AA will definitely allow you to outperform your numbers, but if you were PTing that much higher than you scored you should definitely try to retake. I don't know if it's too late to retake in February, but even if you have to sit out this cycle it could potentially be worth it for you to get at least close to where you PT to either solidify your chances at the current schools you're considering or to give you more options.

N.B.

Take my advice with a large heaping of salt because I know absolutely nothing about hiring in Alaska. So my advice could be totally off if there's something significantly different about securing a job there than about securing a legal job generally.

Return to “What are my chances?”