164 / 3.17 URM chances at my top 3 schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheSpanishMain

Re: 164 / 3.17 URM chances at my top 3 schools?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:07 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Also browse around the forums a lil bit. You will learn a lot about the law school game. The rankings are a joke, don't worry about them. Your main concern are which schools get grads jobs and those don't correlate to US News rankings at all.

I think saying they don't correlate AT ALL is a little strong.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 am

yafosho wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Apply to Columbia on down the T14, USC and UCLA and UCI. I wouldn't apply to Davis unless you might want to do Nor Cal. I would also include George Washington as IP grads go back to California easily. With your stats and URM status you will get into tons of schools. You want to apply broadly and many schools so after you get your acceptances, you can then negotiate scholarship amounts.

If you want to save more money for Law school, think about retaking for a higher score to cop that free scholly money.

You said IP...what was your undergrad degree in?

I graduated with two degrees, one in Political Science and the other in Digital Technology which is where I discovered IP law. And could you elaborate on how/why IP grads go back to California easily? is that from any location back to California or just D.C.?

California has a lot of technology and GW has a wealth of IP classes. I have spoken with a few students there and they informed me it's not hard to get good IP jobs if you are IP secure. You are not. IP secure means that you can sit and take the patent bar. These are the qualifications:

--LinkRemoved--

Well so you know, IP is harder to come by without an actual technical degree. (Think engineering, computer science, chemistry). Unless you go to a top school with great grades, it will be hard to get into the non science focuesd IP such as trademark and licensing.

TheSpanishMain wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Also browse around the forums a lil bit. You will learn a lot about the law school game. The rankings are a joke, don't worry about them. Your main concern are which schools get grads jobs and those don't correlate to US News rankings at all.

I think saying they don't correlate AT ALL is a little strong.

just ball up the latest copy of USNews and throw it in the trash. There fixed

0L advice for another 0L

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 am

So in your opinion what rankings should I use? Could you link it? is the Top-Law-Schools one I should be using? or should I use the Lawschool transparency employment ratings rankings, or a combination of the two?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 am

yafosho wrote:So in your opinion what rankings should I use? Could you link it? is the Top-Law-Schools one I should be using? or should I use the Lawschool transparency employment ratings rankings, or a combination of the two?

Don't use any rankings. It's all about employment.

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Ok, well here is the list of schools I plan on applying to.

U. of Chicago
U. of Virginia
U. of Pennsylvania
U. of Columbia
New York U.
UC Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
U. of Michigan
UC Irvine
George Washington U.
Northwestern U.
U. of Texas
Georgetown U.
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC
UC Berkley
Minnesota
U. of Kentucky
Notre Dame
Santa Clara
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UW

I thank you all for being so helpful thus far. How does this list look? Are there any schools you think I'm missing out on not applying to? also any analysis on my chances for these schools would also be appreciated. Thank you very much for your help everyone.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 pm

yafosho wrote:Ok, well here is the list of schools I plan on applying to.

U. of Chicago
U. of Virginia
U. of Pennsylvania
U. of Columbia
New York U.
UC Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
U. of Michigan
UC Irvine
George Washington U.
Northwestern U.
U. of Texas
Georgetown U.
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC
UC Berkley
Minnesota
U. of Kentucky
Notre Dame
Santa Clara
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UW

I thank you all for being so helpful thus far. How does this list look? Are there any schools you think I'm missing out on not applying to? also any analysis on my chances for these schools would also be appreciated. Thank you very much for your help everyone.

Why Kentucky?

I would drop the TTT bottom feeders like Davis, Hastings, and Santa Clara at the very least.

yafosho

Postby yafosho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:
yafosho wrote:

Why Kentucky?

I would drop the TTT bottom feeders like Davis, Hastings, and Santa Clara at the very least.

Yeah I didn't mean for Kentucky to get in that list. I included Davis, Hastings and Santa Clara because I very much prefer to go to school in California so I wanted to keep my options open.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:16 pm

yafosho wrote:Ok, well here is the list of schools I plan on applying to.

U. of Chicago
U. of Virginia
U. of Pennsylvania
U. of Columbia
New York U.
UC Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
U. of Michigan
UC Irvine
George Washington U.
Northwestern U.
U. of Texas
Georgetown U.
Vanderbilt
UCLA
USC
UC Berkley
Minnesota
U. of Kentucky
Notre Dame
Santa Clara
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UW

Davis has better employment than Hastings and cost of living is cheaper. I would drop all below Kentucky and keep Davis. Add WUSTL

Return to “What are my chances?”