Please delete me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
theramblingfool

Bronze

Please delete me

Post by theramblingfool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 am

Delete
Last edited by theramblingfool on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Platinum

Re: 167 LSAT / 3.5 GPA with background of adversity

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:17 am

How about retaking? If you really want to go to NU/Chi, retaking is your best bet.

Similar boat here. I had to overcome significant adversity very similar to yours, and wrote about it in my PS (and my AnBryce application). 3.42 GPA, retook the LSAT for a 179 and applied at CCN (will be attending NYU). Your background can make for a compelling personal statement, but it's probably not going to overcome 3.5/167.

Feel free to PM me.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 am

Take a year off, retake the LSAT, enjoy NU with $ or maybe even Chi.

theramblingfool

Bronze

Post by theramblingfool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:39 pm

theramblingfool wrote:My LSAT score was not at all representative. My PTs were between 173-178 leading up to the test, but I had a bad flu the day of the test.

Do you think that taking the February LSAT could possibly help with this cycle? Applications will already be due, but I have already sent mine in anyway. Could I send the updated scores to UChicago and NU, since they probably won't have made a decision on me by then, anyway?
Yes, but be forewarned that Chicago has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, early application boosts of the T14.

However, you should ABSOLUTELY retake, especially since you were PTing at a very high level. If you have to, wait out a cycle. Please. You owe it to yourself to do that, particularly after overcoming so much already.

I would not advise NU at sticker (which is probably what you'd be looking at if you get in this cycle, unless you retake Feb), especially since you have no family to help support you in the event you fall on hard times after graduation with $250K in debt hanging over your head. Another potential option for you is to retake (February or June or even October) and ED NU next cycle, since their ED comes with a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 pm

koalacity wrote:
theramblingfool wrote:My LSAT score was not at all representative. My PTs were between 173-178 leading up to the test, but I had a bad flu the day of the test.

Do you think that taking the February LSAT could possibly help with this cycle? Applications will already be due, but I have already sent mine in anyway. Could I send the updated scores to UChicago and NU, since they probably won't have made a decision on me by then, anyway?
Yes, but be forewarned that Chicago has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, early application boosts of the T14.

However, you should ABSOLUTELY retake, especially since you were PTing at a very high level. If you have to, wait out a cycle. Please. You owe it to yourself to do that, particularly after overcoming so much already.

I would not advise NU at sticker (which is probably what you'd be looking at if you get in this cycle, unless you retake Feb), especially since you have no family to help support you in the event you fall on hard times after graduation with $250K in debt hanging over your head. Another potential option for you is to retake (February or June or even October) and ED NU next cycle, since their ED comes with a full ride.
His GPA won't be high enough to net the ED full scholly, which you can see on LSN is reserved for people around both 75ths that NU is trying to snipe from the T6. I'm completely on board for retaking, but ED is not realistic in his case. It'll still be worth a lot of money though potentially.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
koalacity wrote:

His GPA won't be high enough to net the ED full scholly, which you can see on LSN is reserved for people around both 75ths that NU is trying to snipe from the T6. I'm completely on board for retaking, but ED is not realistic in his case. It'll still be worth a lot of money though potentially.
Ah, thanks for the clarification (I'm not very familiar with NU). Still, OP, you may have a shot at $$ at NU with a retake, especially if you can score 175+. NU seems to have been giving out a lot of money in order to maintain their LSAT median.

You basically have no shot at Chicago with your current numbers. With a high retake (Feb or June) and an early application next cycle, you have a decent shot at Chicago, but be prepared to ride out the WL. They don't reject many people with 3.5/172-180, but they do WL about half.

theramblingfool

Bronze

Post by theramblingfool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:34 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
koalacity wrote: You basically have no shot at Chicago with your current numbers. With a high retake (Feb or June) and an early application next cycle, you have a decent shot at Chicago, but be prepared to ride out the WL. They don't reject many people with 3.5/172-180, but they do WL about half.
I would be *very* surprised if, under normal circumstances, I scored less than 173 (every PT I took, except for my very first one, was at or well above 173).

What are the odds I could turn this into an acceptance from UChicago THIS cycle with a ~175 in February? I'm willing to sit out a cycle if I absolutely have to, but seeing as I have already submitted these applications, I would like to strengthen them as much as conceivably possible before giving up on them.
No one is going to tell you it's IMPOSSIBLE to get Chicago after a February retake, but you're at a distinct disadvantage at that point compared to waiting and throwing out apps next cycle. What you should do is apply now and ask them to hold your decision until after your retake and see if they'll buy into it. That way you at least give yourself an idea of whether or not they'll consider your February retake, which is more likely this year with the December snowstorm affecting the admissions cycle nationwide.

I think you have a definite shot at NU after a retake (and assumed 170+), so the question is: would you take NU this cycle if Chicago didn't work out, or would you rather wait it out a year and give yourself a maximized chance at scholarship money and a better shot at Chicago? I think you'd be foolish to take sticker this year (if that's what you were left with) when the possibility of scholarships next cycle is somewhat likely. Just my opinion, but I believe delaying gratification until it is maximized is far superior to immediate gratification of a T14 acceptance.

Don't jump at the prestige if you know there is money being left on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:09 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
koalacity wrote: You basically have no shot at Chicago with your current numbers. With a high retake (Feb or June) and an early application next cycle, you have a decent shot at Chicago, but be prepared to ride out the WL. They don't reject many people with 3.5/172-180, but they do WL about half.
I would be *very* surprised if, under normal circumstances, I scored less than 173 (every PT I took, except for my very first one, was at or well above 173).

What are the odds I could turn this into an acceptance from UChicago THIS cycle with a ~175 in February? I'm willing to sit out a cycle if I absolutely have to, but seeing as I have already submitted these applications, I would like to strengthen them as much as conceivably possible before giving up on them.
I agree with matthewsean. You could certainly take February if you feel ready (and you probably would be if you were already PTing that high and you get back in the game ASAP), and you could always retake in June (167 was your first take, right?). However, check out elterrible's analysis of early application boosts by school: http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... esses.html.
Chicago really, really, really likes early applications. Also, I'm sure you know this from being on TLS, but make sure you cast a wide net with your applications! Even if you're set on staying in Chicago (if you are), apply to other schools for scholly negotiation purposes.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Did Chicago move its deadline back due to lack of applicants? In the past their deadline was like 2/1 so they didn't take the Feb LSAT.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Crowing wrote:Did Chicago move its deadline back due to lack of applicants? In the past their deadline was like 2/1 so they didn't take the Feb LSAT.
Any idea if they'd allow an applicant to update a previously-submitted application with a Feb retake score? I'm not a retaker, so not sure which schools allow that and which don't-it seems like most do, but Chicago's deadline is earlier than many.

theramblingfool

Bronze

Post by theramblingfool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
Crowing wrote:Did Chicago move its deadline back due to lack of applicants? In the past their deadline was like 2/1 so they didn't take the Feb LSAT.
They do have an early February deadline, which is why I took the December LSAT. I recently submitted my application to UChicago, so I made it before the deadline, but my LSAT score was unideal and much less than what I can get.

So I'm wondering if I can contact admissions after my re-take and refer them to my already-submitted application. "I submitted an application in January and am awaiting a decision. I just retook my LSAT, however, and received a 175 on the retake. I thought you might be interested in having this information when reviewing my application."
Oh in that case it should be ok. Traditionally iirc if you sign up for a future administration of the LSAT and your app hasn't been decided yet, schools hold your score until the future one anyway. But you should probably contact them to make sure.

Also it is possible that doing so could have a significant negative impact on your chances because of late apps and all that. Chicago traditionally puts even higher emphasis on early applications than other schools. It is possible that in lieu of declining application rates, it won't hurt as much this year, but that's just speculation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”