Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:15 pm

I want to preface this by saying I am probably 2/3 years away from applying for the program. I am just trying to do as much due diligence as possible and to start focusing my resume for when I do apply.

UG: 2.65
Ms Finance:3.35 (expected)
LSAT: TBD
GMAT: TBD (broke off a 3 year relationship 2 days prior and spent the weekend in the bar.. safe to say it affected my score)

UG = So my undergrad story is that I was young and immature but I was a triple major (Accounting, Finance, and Management) and graduated with 150 credits in 4 years, I was a 2 sport athlete in Div. 1 Football and Track, and I was president of my fraternity. I am currently applying to become apart of my Undergrad's Alumni Board

Ms Finance = My program was intended to be a pre-phd program though no one told me (sadly) but still shows upward trend and even in my semesters in the program there is an upward trend.

Work Experience/ECs = I worked for 2 years in a Public Finance group at the nation's top advisory firm and while there I led transactions and handled transactions on my own. I am finishing up my CPA now and have 2 offers for post graduation one is KPMG in their Business Valuation group and the other is working for a Boutique Investment Bank in their Restructuring group. I plan on taking the Restructuring offer.


So big picture I know that my GPA track record is horrible but I have professors from both my undergrad and MS that would give me great recommendations and say that I am better in person than on paper. I know that I am capable of a 720-740 GMAT as it is what my practice tests were prior to shitting the bed on my test. I am likely going to take the restructuring offer and try leveraging it to my target firm (Houlihan Lokey) which is one of the leading international firms. By matriculation I will have 2 years in Pub Fin and 2-3 years in Restructuring. I am really interested in Distressed Private Equity and see real potential value of the JD on top of the MBA. I have no interest of doing Big Law as I would go in as an entry level associate which would NOT be cool with me. But Restructuring and Distressed PE are a hybrid where the lines between law and finance are blurred and that is how I am hoping to sell my admissions story and why I want to do the JD/MBA. I am good on the soft skills and interview well, which is evidenced by my abysmal GPAs and the fact I have still gotten very respectable jobs.

I only plan on applying to Penn as Northwestern is Midwest focused in their placements and Columbia is NY focused and while its business school is EXTREMELY good and is highly ranked its just not Wharton. Penn also opens more doors coast to coast so I would likely ED apply Penn... I am really trying to figure out if the whole thing is doable I am assuming I would need an LSAT in the 175-178 range and retake my GMAT in the 740+ range?

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 am

You sound like someone who makes a lot of excuses, make sure you don't do that on your applications.

Most people here probably aren't all that familiar with JD/MBA programs. Just looking at it from a JD admissions standpoint, your GPA probably precludes you from Penn even with a perfect LSAT score. The only school with a top MBA program that might be willing to dip that low is Northwestern.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby phillywc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 am

No shot. Penn's MBA program is absurdly competitive, they have rejected some incredible candidate.

User avatar
thewaves
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby thewaves » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:19 am

Seems like school isn't for you. Stick with working.

daryldixon
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby daryldixon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 am

cal1k1d wrote:I want to preface this by saying I am probably 2/3 years away from applying for the program. I am just trying to do as much due diligence as possible and to start focusing my resume for when I do apply.

UG: 2.65
Ms Finance:3.35 (expected)
LSAT: TBD
GMAT: TBD (broke off a 3 year relationship 2 days prior and spent the weekend in the bar.. safe to say it affected my score)

UG = So my undergrad story is that I was young and immature but I was a triple major (Accounting, Finance, and Management) and graduated with 150 credits in 4 years, I was a 2 sport athlete in Div. 1 Football and Track, and I was president of my fraternity. I am currently applying to become apart of my Undergrad's Alumni Board

Ms Finance = My program was intended to be a pre-phd program though no one told me (sadly) but still shows upward trend and even in my semesters in the program there is an upward trend.

Work Experience/ECs = I worked for 2 years in a Public Finance group at the nation's top advisory firm and while there I led transactions and handled transactions on my own. I am finishing up my CPA now and have 2 offers for post graduation one is KPMG in their Business Valuation group and the other is working for a Boutique Investment Bank in their Restructuring group. I plan on taking the Restructuring offer.


So big picture I know that my GPA track record is horrible but I have professors from both my undergrad and MS that would give me great recommendations and say that I am better in person than on paper. I know that I am capable of a 720-740 GMAT as it is what my practice tests were prior to shitting the bed on my test. I am likely going to take the restructuring offer and try leveraging it to my target firm (Houlihan Lokey) which is one of the leading international firms. By matriculation I will have 2 years in Pub Fin and 2-3 years in Restructuring. I am really interested in Distressed Private Equity and see real potential value of the JD on top of the MBA. I have no interest of doing Big Law as I would go in as an entry level associate which would NOT be cool with me. But Restructuring and Distressed PE are a hybrid where the lines between law and finance are blurred and that is how I am hoping to sell my admissions story and why I want to do the JD/MBA. I am good on the soft skills and interview well, which is evidenced by my abysmal GPAs and the fact I have still gotten very respectable jobs.

I only plan on applying to Penn as Northwestern is Midwest focused in their placements and Columbia is NY focused and while its business school is EXTREMELY good and is highly ranked its just not Wharton. Penn also opens more doors coast to coast so I would likely ED apply Penn... I am really trying to figure out if the whole thing is doable I am assuming I would need an LSAT in the 175-178 range and retake my GMAT in the 740+ range?

No shot at Penn unless you have a 175+ LSAT. Until you have that the rest of this hypothetical is pointless to discuss.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Honestly, you don't even have a shot at Penn JD with a 2.65 and a perfect LSAT score. A 3.35 graduate GPA is also very unimpressive, sorry to say. If you're not getting into Penn Law, there's no way you'll get Wharton.

With a fantastic LSAT, you might get Northwestern law.

Jcosma
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby Jcosma » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Come back when you have real scores and even then, the possibility of you getting in Penn law, let alone Wharton, is small enough to discount. You're GPA is prohibitively low and it would be foolish to assume that you can get a (near) perfect score in order to mitigate and as other posters noted, even then it would be nearly impossible. Also, if you don't have pre-MBA PE experience, firms are not all that keen to hire you (I say this without knowing what firms you're looking at, there is obviously different levels of flexibility in different markets).

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 pm

This can't be serious

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Why can't it be serious?

Granted I have never Excelled in School but I have work experience as good or better than people from better schools with higher GPAs.

Do admissions view a 2.65 differently than a 2.85? or a 2.9?

I have had to tell the story before for jobs and for my grad school admissions but my GPA hasn't kept me out of the top Masters in Finance programs in the country as I was accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I applied to.

I was young, immature, and was more focused on football, partying and my fraternity than I was with class and doing well academically. That being said I was a triple major and finished in 4 years with enough credits for the CPA which I am almost 3/4 the way through the tests.

While a 3.35 is not AMAZING for a graduate program. I am in an well regarded program that is taught as a pre-phd program and is not curved I(We routinely have midterms/finals where the class average is 60-70%) so that is a raw 3.35 not an "inflated" grade by ANY means. And a 3.35 is significantly better than my undergrad performance.

It is fine if my actual chances are 0% and I get dinged but that isn't what I asked.. I asked what can I do or what kinds of things does Penn look favorably on that I can do between now and then so that maybe I can get up to a 2-3% chance.

People still get dinged and don't get into top schools with great GPAs and great LSAT scores because of soft factors and I want to build my case to be as strong as possible to improve my soft factors and LSAT so that I can hopefully overcome a GPA

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby Puffin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm

cal1k1d wrote:Why can't it be serious?

Granted I have never Excelled in School but I have work experience as good or better than people from better schools with higher GPAs.

Do admissions view a 2.65 differently than a 2.85? or a 2.9?

I have had to tell the story before for jobs and for my grad school admissions but my GPA hasn't kept me out of the top Masters in Finance programs in the country as I was accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I applied to.

I was young, immature, and was more focused on football, partying and my fraternity than I was with class and doing well academically. That being said I was a triple major and finished in 4 years with enough credits for the CPA which I am almost 3/4 the way through the tests.

While a 3.35 is not AMAZING for a graduate program. I am in an well regarded program that is taught as a pre-phd program and is not curved I(We routinely have midterms/finals where the class average is 60-70%) so that is a raw 3.35 not an "inflated" grade by ANY means. And a 3.35 is significantly better than my undergrad performance.

It is fine if my actual chances are 0% and I get dinged but that isn't what I asked.. I asked what can I do or what kinds of things does Penn look favorably on that I can do between now and then so that maybe I can get up to a 2-3% chance.

People still get dinged and don't get into top schools with great GPAs and great LSAT scores because of soft factors and I want to build my case to be as strong as possible to improve my soft factors and LSAT so that I can hopefully overcome a GPA


The issue is that law schools only care about your UG GPA because that's what they have to report. It is incredibly unlikely you'll get into Penn with any LSAT score, unless you've done something truly incredible, your softs will not overcome a 2.65 GPA; particularly when your grad GPA fails to show that you've rededicated yourself to studying instead of partying or whatever you were doing during UG. NU is a great school that you aren't barred from with a high LSAT, and your work experience will be valued there.

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Puffin wrote:
cal1k1d wrote:Why can't it be serious?

Granted I have never Excelled in School but I have work experience as good or better than people from better schools with higher GPAs.

Do admissions view a 2.65 differently than a 2.85? or a 2.9?

I have had to tell the story before for jobs and for my grad school admissions but my GPA hasn't kept me out of the top Masters in Finance programs in the country as I was accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I applied to.

I was young, immature, and was more focused on football, partying and my fraternity than I was with class and doing well academically. That being said I was a triple major and finished in 4 years with enough credits for the CPA which I am almost 3/4 the way through the tests.

While a 3.35 is not AMAZING for a graduate program. I am in an well regarded program that is taught as a pre-phd program and is not curved I(We routinely have midterms/finals where the class average is 60-70%) so that is a raw 3.35 not an "inflated" grade by ANY means. And a 3.35 is significantly better than my undergrad performance.

It is fine if my actual chances are 0% and I get dinged but that isn't what I asked.. I asked what can I do or what kinds of things does Penn look favorably on that I can do between now and then so that maybe I can get up to a 2-3% chance.

People still get dinged and don't get into top schools with great GPAs and great LSAT scores because of soft factors and I want to build my case to be as strong as possible to improve my soft factors and LSAT so that I can hopefully overcome a GPA


The issue is that law schools only care about your UG GPA because that's what they have to report. It is incredibly unlikely you'll get into Penn with any LSAT score, unless you've done something truly incredible, your softs will not overcome a 2.65 GPA; particularly when your grad GPA fails to show that you've rededicated yourself to studying instead of partying or whatever you were doing during UG. NU is a great school that you aren't barred from with a high LSAT, and your work experience will be valued there.


That is fair.. thank you. My GPA actually puts me near the top quartile of the class for my masters, but ya that makes sense.

I mean if they admit someone with under a 3.0 is there a big difference between a 2.9 and a 2.6? Isn't "Sub 3.0" more or less all the same? Granted I could see how a 2.99 or something is close enough to a 3.00

didntgo89072014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby didntgo89072014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Are you URM?

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:06 pm

didntgo89072014 wrote:Are you URM?


No.. I was looking at Lawschoolnumbers graphs from the last couple years and they have at least waitlisted people with GPAs in my range

Not saying I deserve to get in or deserve a shot.. Just wanna find ways to maximize whatever chances I may have. My girlfriend(Penn 2L) was telling me that Penn values work experience? But I am sure that means they would overlook a 3.4 undergrad w/ work experience.. not a 2.65 w/ work experience.

As a general question... Everyone mentions that they report their classes and such. I am assuming that means they are ranked based on their applications, class profile, etc? Sorry for stupid questions but I am more used to and have a better understanding of the business side of everything.. The law stuff is new to me.


Edit: I am looking at Northwestern's profiles.. You guys are right.. They are INCREDIBLY flexible for work experience there are a lot of really low GPAs that get accepted.. The only downside to me is the Kellogg MBA is geared more towards Consulting and my target distressed firms don't recruit there consistently. Though who knows its still a ways off, my goals could change. No harm in trying to prepare though while I have time.
Last edited by cal1k1d on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:06 pm

This is a lot of wasted E-space considering you don't have any standardized test scores at all.

Anyway, it is highly unlikely that Penn would take someone with such a low GPA unless they were URM or had done something truly exceptional. I know that you feel like you are really special but these softs fall under the "Yeah, they're fine, but what are his numbers?" territory. Everyone has great letters of recommendation and most people don't have as high of a GPA as they would have liked. You just can't expect to do any better than your numbers.

Northwestern is sometimes willing to dip that low for people with good work experience. Either make peace with the fact that that's probably your only option in the T14 (assuming you get a high enough LSAT score, which is a pretty big assumption in and of itself) or just work a sweet job and forget about law school.

didntgo89072014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby didntgo89072014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Sorry but your chances at Penn Law and Wharton are virtually nil. A sub-3.0 GPA would put you in the bottom 5% of both classes, maybe even bottom 2 or 3% for Law. That's pretty much it unless you are URM or your last name is on a building. I'd try to kill it at boutique i-banking and network into a PE job. I think that route is more likely to yield what you're looking for, and you avoid the half-a-million dollars in tuition and opportunity costs associated with a JD/MBA.

Also, Northwestern JD/MBA won't get you PE you wouldn't get otherwise.

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby californiauser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm

You should look into Northwestern's JD/MBA.

didntgo89072014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby didntgo89072014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:26 pm

I would avoid Northwestern JD/MBA, it's not gonna open doors in PE by itself. It's definitely not worth the $600k it would cost (assuming $300k COA b/c you will have to pay sticker due to low GPA, and $75k per year * 4 years opportunity cost). Also, are you an accountant at your boutique investment bank? Or an analyst?

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 pm

didntgo89072014 wrote:I would avoid Northwestern JD/MBA, it's not gonna open doors in PE by itself. It's definitely not worth the $600k it would cost (assuming $300k COA b/c you will have to pay sticker due to low GPA, and $75k per year * 4 years opportunity cost). Also, are you an accountant at your boutique investment bank? Or an analyst?


This I know... Kellogg is more consulting maybe IB than it is pure play finance.. Wharton, Stanford and Harvard are the PE schools.. there is DEFINITELY a drop off after that. It is also a 3 year program so there is 3 years of opportunity cost.. Not to mention that your 75k opportunity cost is wayyy below market and below what I am getting starting out. so we are in agreement that it really isn't worth it.. I would only pay full sticker for Penn (which is the metric you guys use for evaluating a school you ED to?)

I have 2 years as an analyst in Pub Fin already. I am going in as an Analyst in the restructuring group of a top boutique.. trying to get in at houlihan we will see how that shakes out. I am doing the CPA because I have the 150 and I like having the higher level of understanding.. Its in no way a job qualification. At this point if I can't leverage the one restructuring offer for Houlihan I may just do it as an internship before my KPMG gig starts in the Valuation group because the KPMG brand on the resume is better than the boutique investment bank.

Assuming I would have to do an MBA I would apply to

Stanford MBA*
Harvard MBA*
Penn JD/MBA*
Penn MBA*


All of them are long shots but anything outside HWS for Business school is 2nd Tier in the world of PE.. Granted people from the M7 go to PE but not like those 3. I would also only apply if I can muster Full-Time PE experience prior to matriculation.

*I know all are EXTREME reaches but to me outside those programs it would be a waste of money and I would be better off networking and working

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 pm

cal1k1d wrote:I would be better off networking and working


Yes

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm

They just don't accept people with GPAs that low aside from the rare URM or person with a building named after them, and even those people have a hard time with sub 3.0, let alone 2.6

didntgo89072014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby didntgo89072014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:07 pm

cal1k1d wrote:
didntgo89072014 wrote:I would avoid Northwestern JD/MBA, it's not gonna open doors in PE by itself. It's definitely not worth the $600k it would cost (assuming $300k COA b/c you will have to pay sticker due to low GPA, and $75k per year * 4 years opportunity cost). Also, are you an accountant at your boutique investment bank? Or an analyst?


This I know... Kellogg is more consulting maybe IB than it is pure play finance.. Wharton, Stanford and Harvard are the PE schools.. there is DEFINITELY a drop off after that. It is also a 3 year program so there is 3 years of opportunity cost.. Not to mention that your 75k opportunity cost is wayyy below market and below what I am getting starting out. so we are in agreement that it really isn't worth it.. I would only pay full sticker for Penn (which is the metric you guys use for evaluating a school you ED to?)

I have 2 years as an analyst in Pub Fin already. I am going in as an Analyst in the restructuring group of a top boutique.. trying to get in at houlihan we will see how that shakes out. I am doing the CPA because I have the 150 and I like having the higher level of understanding.. Its in no way a job qualification. At this point if I can't leverage the one restructuring offer for Houlihan I may just do it as an internship before my KPMG gig starts in the Valuation group because the KPMG brand on the resume is better than the boutique investment bank.

Assuming I would have to do an MBA I would apply to

Stanford MBA*
Harvard MBA*
Penn JD/MBA*
Penn MBA*


All of them are long shots but anything outside HWS for Business school is 2nd Tier in the world of PE.. Granted people from the M7 go to PE but not like those 3. I would also only apply if I can muster Full-Time PE experience prior to matriculation.

*I know all are EXTREME reaches but to me outside those programs it would be a waste of money and I would be better off networking and working


If I were you I would forget those three business schools altogether. It's just not going to happen. For starters, each of those schools, especially Harvard and Stanford, are looking for applicants 3-5 years out of undergrad. If I am reading your posts correctly, you'd be applying 6-7 years out of undergrad. That is a huge detriment to your candidacy. Combine that with your sub-3.0 GPA, and it's over before it starts. KPMG is also not a good brand name for H/W/S. It could be good enough for Columbia or Kellogg, but not for the top 3. You can learn a lot more about MBA admissions through this article series (there are a ton of these articles): http://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/18/handicapping-your-shot-at-a-top-b-school/2/. This is a profile of someone similar to you, with a higher (3.1) GPA, and a 730 GMAT, AND right in the target age range (3-4 years out), and the admissions consultant writing the article is telling him he has little to no chance at H/W/S. With your GPA being in the bottom 3% for each of those schools, in my humble opinion, you're out.

If you're getting paid bulge bracket market, AKA ~150k first year, you'd be insane to go for a JD/MBA. Then your total cost is closer to a million dollars.

Sounds like you have a good target PE firm in mind. Try to meet as many people as you can and learn what they did to get their jobs. Then, do it.

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm

didntgo89072014 wrote:
cal1k1d wrote:
didntgo89072014 wrote:I would avoid Northwestern JD/MBA, it's not gonna open doors in PE by itself. It's definitely not worth the $600k it would cost (assuming $300k COA b/c you will have to pay sticker due to low GPA, and $75k per year * 4 years opportunity cost). Also, are you an accountant at your boutique investment bank? Or an analyst?


This I know... Kellogg is more consulting maybe IB than it is pure play finance.. Wharton, Stanford and Harvard are the PE schools.. there is DEFINITELY a drop off after that. It is also a 3 year program so there is 3 years of opportunity cost.. Not to mention that your 75k opportunity cost is wayyy below market and below what I am getting starting out. so we are in agreement that it really isn't worth it.. I would only pay full sticker for Penn (which is the metric you guys use for evaluating a school you ED to?)

I have 2 years as an analyst in Pub Fin already. I am going in as an Analyst in the restructuring group of a top boutique.. trying to get in at houlihan we will see how that shakes out. I am doing the CPA because I have the 150 and I like having the higher level of understanding.. Its in no way a job qualification. At this point if I can't leverage the one restructuring offer for Houlihan I may just do it as an internship before my KPMG gig starts in the Valuation group because the KPMG brand on the resume is better than the boutique investment bank.

Assuming I would have to do an MBA I would apply to

Stanford MBA*
Harvard MBA*
Penn JD/MBA*
Penn MBA*


All of them are long shots but anything outside HWS for Business school is 2nd Tier in the world of PE.. Granted people from the M7 go to PE but not like those 3. I would also only apply if I can muster Full-Time PE experience prior to matriculation.

*I know all are EXTREME reaches but to me outside those programs it would be a waste of money and I would be better off networking and working


If I were you I would forget those three business schools altogether. It's just not going to happen. For starters, each of those schools, especially Harvard and Stanford, are looking for applicants 3-5 years out of undergrad. If I am reading your posts correctly, you'd be applying 6-7 years out of undergrad. That is a huge detriment to your candidacy. Combine that with your sub-3.0 GPA, and it's over before it starts. KPMG is also not a good brand name for H/W/S. It could be good enough for Columbia or Kellogg, but not for the top 3. You can learn a lot more about MBA admissions through this article series (there are a ton of these articles): http://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/18/handicapping-your-shot-at-a-top-b-school/2/. This is a profile of someone similar to you, with a higher (3.1) GPA, and a 730 GMAT, and the admissions consultant writing the article is telling him he has little to no chance at H/W/S. With your GPA being in the bottom 3% for each of those schools, in my humble opinion, you're out.

If you're getting paid bulge bracket market, AKA ~150k first year, you'd be insane to go for a JD/MBA. Then your total cost is closer to a million dollars.

Sounds like you have a good target PE firm in mind. Try to meet as many people as you can and learn what they did to get their jobs. Then, do it.


I am not saying KPMG Is a good firm for MBA candidacy but it is better for BB firms and other things finance than my smaller Restructuring offer. I well after 3 more years I will be at 5 because of my one year for a masters program which puts me right around the sweet spot for most MBAs. I agree that at some point the experience is a detriment but I would argue it is more around the 7-10 year mark which is when an EMBA would be more appropriate.

I am fully aware that I have "Little to no chance" which I have stated multiple times.. I am trying to maximize my little and reduce the no. What kinds of things can someone do to increase softs.. Everyone seems to be chiming in on how I have almost no chance which is realistic and cool as its the truth.. But no one is answering my actual question.

Sorry to get a little snooty about it but I have yet to learn anything new since I started this thread. If that strikes you guys the wrong way I apologize, but all I wanted is ideas or ways to help me with soft factors and my resume

As an aside... the $$$$ of banking is shifting away from the BBs towards the elite boutiques like Centerview, Evercore, Moelis, Greenhill, etc. Centerview analysts starting this summer got a 50k sign on and are getting 80k bases not to mention Centerview has one of the highest bonuses on the street

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Increase softs? The kinds that would help you overcome the GPA?

Do something exceptionally good for your community. Cure a disease. Compete in the Olympics. That kind of stuff. Basically things that a school can brag about on their website. "We have this one bro who single-handedly rebuilt a city that had been destroyed by an earthquake," etc.

didntgo89072014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby didntgo89072014 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Don't think about how to improve your softs for b school cause the b schools you want to go to ain't happening. Figure out what people do to get into the PE firm you want. No one here can tell you that, find some alums from your alma mater and email them. Go to lunch with them, ask them about how they got there. Meet as many people as you can. This is a much better strategy than trying a hail mary pass at H/W/S.

Also you are incorrect about the soft spot for MBA admissions age. Here is a graph of the HBS class of 2010 by their undergraduate class year. http://poetsandquants.com/2010/09/03/the-worlds-most-powerful-admissions-director/2/. Roughly 90% of the class was 5 years or less out of undergrad.

cal1k1d
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Chances at Penn's JD/MBA

Postby cal1k1d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:Increase softs? The kinds that would help you overcome the GPA?

Do something exceptionally good for your community. Cure a disease. Compete in the Olympics. That kind of stuff. Basically things that a school can brag about on their website. "We have this one bro who single-handedly rebuilt a city that had been destroyed by an earthquake," etc.


What kinds of softs does Penn like? I guess I should start trying to cure cancer


Also, I noticed that there are several people admitted this year with GPAs down near a 3.0.. They are still on the right side of the B line but still..




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cannonballer and 4 guests