FSU at in-state tuition

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:11 am

I know I've been posting a lot on this forum lately but I went ahead and submitted my application to FSU yesterday. I would get the in state discount since I am a FL resident which would make FSU reasonable even without a scholarship IMO since I want to practice in Florida anyway. Chances I'm in with a 3.8/154? Not a lot of info on LSN yet for this cycle unfortunately :/

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4112
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:15 am

I know you don't want to hear this, but retaking is still far and away your best option. FSU for a "reasonable" cost < FSU for free. As it is, I'd say you're like a 50/50 shot.

Why not retake?

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you don't want to hear this, but retaking is still far and away your best option. FSU for a "reasonable" cost < FSU for free. As it is, I'd say you're like a 50/50 shot.

Why not retake?

I've been dodging this question for a while but honestly, I can't. There's a lot of personal stuff going on right now and it's basically now or never. Plus I just wouldn't have the time to put into an effective study plan right now

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4112
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:29 am

Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you don't want to hear this, but retaking is still far and away your best option. FSU for a "reasonable" cost < FSU for free. As it is, I'd say you're like a 50/50 shot.

Why not retake?

I've been dodging this question for a while but honestly, I can't. There's a lot of personal stuff going on right now and it's basically now or never. Plus I just wouldn't have the time to put into an effective study plan right now


Most people say this and they're deceiving themselves. They're really saying "I'm scared to retake" or "it's inconvenient." or "for some reason, I think I have a bomb strapped to my chest that will detonate if I go to law school at 24 as opposed to 23."

That said, I'll assume you legitimately can absolutely not retake the LSAT. A) Make sure that personal stuff is REALLY compelling. The LSAT is hugely important. More so than your entire undergraduate career. B) Do not go to any school in Florida other than UF/FSU. Maaaaybe Miami under very specific circumstances and at very low cost. It would absolutely, 100% better for your life if you did something else entirely rather than attend one of the unranked diploma mill trash piles that Florida has in such abundance. They will give you nothing but debt and horrible employment prospects.

I guess I'm saying is if you miss FSU/UF, either wait a year and retake or just don't go to law school.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:52 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you don't want to hear this, but retaking is still far and away your best option. FSU for a "reasonable" cost < FSU for free. As it is, I'd say you're like a 50/50 shot.

Why not retake?

I've been dodging this question for a while but honestly, I can't. There's a lot of personal stuff going on right now and it's basically now or never. Plus I just wouldn't have the time to put into an effective study plan right now


Most people say this and they're deceiving themselves. They're really saying "I'm scared to retake" or "it's inconvenient." or "for some reason, I think I have a bomb strapped to my chest that will detonate if I go to law school at 24 as opposed to 23."

That said, I'll assume you legitimately can absolutely not retake the LSAT. A) Make sure that personal stuff is REALLY compelling. The LSAT is hugely important. More so than your entire undergraduate career. B) Do not go to any school in Florida other than UF/FSU. Maaaaybe Miami under very specific circumstances and at very low cost. It would absolutely, 100% better for your life if you did something else entirely rather than attend one of the unranked diploma mill trash piles that Florida has in such abundance. They will give you nothing but debt and horrible employment prospects.

I guess I'm saying is if you miss FSU/UF, either wait a year and retake or just don't go to law school.

Trust me man it's not that I don't want to retake as I have posted in the prep forum in recent weeks I really just can't and would rather not dive into why. I don't think I'd get into UF but FSU is more of a possibility right now after speaking to them yesterday. They said my gpa is what is what is making me competitive so I'm in good shape to get in but not for a scholly.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 am

You don't really have a good chance if you are non-URM. Don't go to FSU at sticker even if you do get in. They already have low tuition and are pretty liberal with scholarships if you can get up to a 160 (which is not that hard with serious study). Nobody has a gun to your head.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm

nebula666 wrote:You don't really have a good chance if you are non-URM. Don't go to FSU at sticker even if you do get in. They already have low tuition and are pretty liberal with scholarships if you can get up to a 160 (which is not that hard with serious study). Nobody has a gun to your head.

Do you mean not a good shot at admissions or scholly? I also get the instate discount and have a good amount of cash saved up to take care of COL at least the first year and a half. I saw a few lsn profiles from last cycle that got in with stats similar to mine but some were urm some were not and I'm a non-urm

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4112
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:26 pm

You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:45 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

I don't think it is with in state tuition when the school placement record is comparable some t20s within Florida

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

I don't think it is with in state tuition when the school placement record is comparable some t20s within Florida


Everyone who was admitted last cycle with your numbers was URM. You might have an outside chance but still not great. You shouldn't go at sticker even if you have money saved up but have fun.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4112
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

I don't think it is with in state tuition when the school placement record is comparable some t20s within Florida


In state is still six figures.

FSU is not a bad school, but most of it's grads work in small firms or state/local government. Nothing wrong with those jobs, but good luck trying to support yourself AND pay off your debt on their starting salaries.

This may sound harsh, but I'm just being realistic: your LSAT score is too low to get you into a school worth going to at a good price. I honestly think your choices are either A) don't go or B) put off law school until you have your personal situation sorted out and then reengage.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:02 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

I don't think it is with in state tuition when the school placement record is comparable some t20s within Florida


Everyone who was admitted last cycle with your numbers was URM. You might have an outside chance but still not great. You shouldn't go at sticker even if you have money saved up but have fun.

With apps down again this cycle I'd think I have a better shot this year than similar applicants in recent years no?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Depends, is in state free?
Retake, I'm begging you.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 pm

FSU at instate sticker would be a colossal mistake.

Retake or don't go to law school.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:FSU at instate sticker would be a colossal mistake.

Retake or don't go to law school.

Well of course you'd say that Zuck. More than anything, I want to work in the public sector. FSU has probably the best placement record in the state to do that especially since the law school located within walking distance of many of the state government agency headquarters. If I do rack up say $100k-$135k in the process, I can still potentially take advantage of pslf/ibr or if I have to practice small-mid law and START (as wages tend to rise after the first few years of practice) at $50k-$70k It's still a manageable enough debt load to pay off in 6-8 years with financial discipline and my finance's (would be wife by then) income to help. Now I know things can change but I just don't see a reputable tier 1 that places amazingly in my desired market/field of practice a risky investment if I can keep my total debt load under $150k and it might not even hit six figures since my girl would take care of COL after my cash runs out so realistically I'm probably looking at the $60k-$80k range for total debt load. Not to mention the low COL in that part of the state. TLS is so pessimistic on schools outside t6 it's ridiculous

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Young Marino wrote:
BigZuck wrote:FSU at instate sticker would be a colossal mistake.

Retake or don't go to law school.

Well of course you'd say that Zuck. More than anything, I want to work in the public sector. FSU has probably the best placement record in the state to do that especially since the law school located within walking distance of many of the state government agency headquarters. If I do rack up say $100k-$135k in the process, I can still potentially take advantage of pslf/ibr or if I have to practice small-mid law and START (as wages tend to rise after the first few years of practice) at $50k-$70k It's still a manageable enough debt load to pay off in 6-8 years with financial discipline and my finance's (would be wife by then) income to help. Now I know things can change but I just don't see a reputable tier 1 that places amazingly in my desired market/field of practice a risky investment if I can keep my total debt load under $150k and it might not even hit six figures since my girl would take care of COL after my cash runs out so realistically I'm probably looking at the $60k-$80k range for total debt load. Not to mention the low COL in that part of the state. TLS is so pessimistic on schools outside t6 it's ridiculous


I don't go to a t6, nor do I (or any reasonable poster) say that those are the only schools worth attending. Your straw man is a rediculous.

You can't count on PSLF as a sure fire thing, especially from a middling school. You might not be able to get it, or the program could change (the former being much more of a concern than the latter most likely). PI jobs are tough to get without a demonstrated committment, and you would have to have one for ten whole years to not get buried under the debt. If you want PI, you need to go to the best school you can for as cheap as you can get it.

If you can keep the debt to 60ish I think that could be ok for FSU but I would t pay much more than that. I'm a bit incredulous that you will be able to accomplish that, let alone get in with your current LSAT score.

Retake.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
BigZuck wrote:FSU at instate sticker would be a colossal mistake.

Retake or don't go to law school.

Well of course you'd say that Zuck. More than anything, I want to work in the public sector. FSU has probably the best placement record in the state to do that especially since the law school located within walking distance of many of the state government agency headquarters. If I do rack up say $100k-$135k in the process, I can still potentially take advantage of pslf/ibr or if I have to practice small-mid law and START (as wages tend to rise after the first few years of practice) at $50k-$70k It's still a manageable enough debt load to pay off in 6-8 years with financial discipline and my finance's (would be wife by then) income to help. Now I know things can change but I just don't see a reputable tier 1 that places amazingly in my desired market/field of practice a risky investment if I can keep my total debt load under $150k and it might not even hit six figures since my girl would take care of COL after my cash runs out so realistically I'm probably looking at the $60k-$80k range for total debt load. Not to mention the low COL in that part of the state. TLS is so pessimistic on schools outside t6 it's ridiculous


I don't go to a t6, nor do I (or any reasonable poster) say that those are the only schools worth attending. Your straw man is a rediculous.

You can't count on PSLF as a sure fire thing, especially from a middling school. You might not be able to get it, or the program could change (the former being much more of a concern than the latter most likely). PI jobs are tough to get without a demonstrated committment, and you would have to have one for ten whole years to not get buried under the debt. If you want PI, you need to go to the best school you can for as cheap as you can get it.

If you can keep the debt to 60ish I think that could be ok for FSU but I would t pay much more than that. I'm a bit incredulous that you will be able to accomplish that, let alone get in with your current LSAT score.

Retake.

Fuck you

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4112
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Young Marino wrote:Fuck you


Hahahaha, what? "Fuck you, guy trying to help me for free who is being totally civil!"

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:14 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Fuck you


Hahahaha, what? "Fuck you, guy trying to help me for free who is being totally civil!"

Lol dude it's a sarcastic fuck you

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Fuck you


Hahahaha, what? "Fuck you, guy trying to help me for free who is being totally civil!"

Lol dude it's a sarcastic fuck you


:wink:

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Fuck you


Hahahaha, what? "Fuck you, guy trying to help me for free who is being totally civil!"

Lol dude it's a sarcastic fuck you


:wink:

But in all seriousness Zuck, I don't think FSU at in state sticker is as bad as you claim it to be.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 pm

I think spending 130K for a school that only gives you a 65% chance to become a lawyer and about a 15% chance to get a job that can service that kind of debt is a pretty terrible scenario.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby 06102016 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm

..

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Agree w Zuck

If you are debt financing you need some scholarship on top of in-state tuition to make UF/FSU worth it

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: FSU at in-state tuition

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You have virtually no shot at a significant scholarship, and an iffy shot at admission. FSU at sticker is a bad idea.

I don't think it is with in state tuition when the school placement record is comparable some t20s within Florida


Everyone who was admitted last cycle with your numbers was URM. You might have an outside chance but still not great. You shouldn't go at sticker even if you have money saved up but have fun.

I also saw a few white guys last cycle that got waitlisted with a 3.6/3.5 and 152s. They'd probably have a better shot at getting in this cycle since applications are down again so with an lsat score 2 points higher and a few tenths on my gpa higher, are you saying I don't have much hope?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest