Scholly chances for Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
junkman

New

Scholly Chances Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia

Post by junkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi everybody. This is my first post on the site. Kind of exciting. My stats are 174/3.2 (with a super high grade trend-I graduated with like 160 credit hours and my top 120 credit hour GPA is like 3.65. I had a bad run with pre-med courses my freshman and half of sophomore year.) I want to go to Vandy, UVA, Duke or UGA. What does everybody think about my scholarship chances at these schools? I would like to go to Vandy but I would really like 100,000 or more in scholarship money from them. Does anyone think this is possible? I'm a white male. I also posted this on Financial Aid and What are my chances. Thanks.

junkman

New

Scholly chances for Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia

Post by junkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi everybody. This is my first post on the site. Kind of exciting. My stats are 174/3.2 (with a super high grade trend-I graduated with like 160 credit hours and my top 120 credit hour GPA is like 3.65. I had a bad run with pre-med courses my freshman and half of sophomore year.) I want to go to Vandy, UVA, Duke or UGA. What does everybody think about my scholarship chances at these schools? I would like to go to Vandy but I would really like 100,000 or more in scholarship money from them. Does anyone think this is possible? I'm a white male. I also posted this on Financial Aid and Choosing a Law School. Thanks.

Hitchensian

Bronze

Re: Scholly chances for Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm

junkman wrote:Hi everybody. This is my first post on the site. Kind of exciting. My stats are 174/3.2 (with a super high grade trend-I graduated with like 160 credit hours and my top 120 credit hour GPA is like 3.65. I had a bad run with pre-med courses my freshman and half of sophomore year.) I want to go to Vandy, UVA, Duke or UGA. What does everybody think about my scholarship chances at these schools? I would like to go to Vandy but I would really like 100,000 or more in scholarship money from them. Does anyone think this is possible? I'm a white male. I also posted this on Financial Aid and Choosing a Law School. Thanks.
Why the focus on Southern schools?

nebula666

Silver

Re: Scholly Chances Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:07 pm

You have a coinflip chance at UVA and are likely out at Duke. You would be looking at more like $65,000 from Vandy, which will still leave you with almost $145k in debt. You'll definitely get money from GULC also.

junkman

New

Post by junkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm from Georgia. Want to practice in the southeast. What do you think my scholarship chances are?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

junkman

New

Post by junkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Ok. Which do you think I should take if I get in? Vandy with 65,000 or UVA full price?

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 pm

junkman wrote:I'm from Georgia. Want to practice in the southeast. What do you think my scholarship chances are?
You could probably snag a full ride from UGA. I mean, you're waaaay overqualified with regards to LSAT and you're at least near their 25th percentile GPA. Also, as a state resident, it's cheap for them to offer you a full ride because you'd owe them less to begin with.

As for Duke and UVA, probably no $. Vandy maybe.

And have you looked into Emory?

junkman

New

Post by junkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Ok thanks. I haven't really considered Emory. I think if I would take Vandy over Emory unless Emory gave me like 80,000 more than Vandy. I have been to the Emory campus several times and I have never been fond of the environment unfortunately.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 pm

junkman wrote:Ok. Which do you think I should take if I get in? Vandy with 65,000 or UVA full price?
I gather you are from the south given where you are targeting but:

Career goals? Location goals? Where do you have ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

junkman wrote:Ok thanks. I haven't really considered Emory. I think if I would take Vandy over Emory unless Emory gave me like 80,000 more than Vandy. I have been to the Emory campus several times and I have never been fond of the environment unfortunately.
Emory is more easily within reach, which could mean more $$ than Vandy. It's absolutely worth an application fee to find out. And I get that you're not thrilled about the environment, but if a scholarship offer did come maybe you could visit it again with that in mind and see how you feel about it. My two cents.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 pm

How many threads do you need?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Maybe you should wait until you get in before deciding?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 pm

If anything looks weird, I merged the duplicate threads. One thread per topic, please.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 am

Hitchensian wrote:
junkman wrote:Ok thanks. I haven't really considered Emory. I think if I would take Vandy over Emory unless Emory gave me like 80,000 more than Vandy. I have been to the Emory campus several times and I have never been fond of the environment unfortunately.
Emory is more easily within reach, which could mean more $$ than Vandy. It's absolutely worth an application fee to find out. And I get that you're not thrilled about the environment, but if a scholarship offer did come maybe you could visit it again with that in mind and see how you feel about it. My two cents.
Not sure what Emory would accomplish here. Its placement is similar to UGA, but it would probabaly cost OP at least 50k more.

Vandy is notoriously cheap with money, but you have a chance at a small scholarship there. Also think you have a decent chance at UVA, but without $. If you want to practice in Georgia, best bet will probably be UGA.

Do you want Atl BigLaw? If no, what do you want to practice?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm

A guy with 171/2.8 got $60k last year at Vandy. You might get $80k if you're lucky.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”