3.6, 162, former Marine

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
natevines

3.6, 162, former Marine

Postby natevines » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm

White male, former active duty Marine infantryman from age 18-22. I graduated SUNY Albany in two years afterwards (should reflect nicely, no?) with a 3.6, poly sci major. Took the LSAT once cold and got a 158. Retook it after minimal studying for Dec (didn't have time, unfortunately) and got a 162. I'm in the NYC area, and was dreaming of Columbia/NYU. Probably out of the question now. Is Fordham realistic? I have a half brother who went there. I'm willing to leave the area, though. What's the best I can do?

TheSpanishMain

Re: 3.6, 162, former Marine

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 pm

The fact that you jumped four points with minimal studying is a great sign. I strongly suggest sitting out a cycle, studying for a long while and retaking again

natevines

Postby natevines » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Definitely, man. Only studied for the games because it was the only thing I felt confused on. Learned a lot, but I still suffer a bit in LR. RC is great, though. Never had an issue with that. I just really don't have the time or $ to retake the test and buy materials :/ Suppose I could wait until next year to apply and save money, but would be fearful of my score actually going down

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:33 am

natevines wrote:Definitely, man. Only studied for the games because it was the only thing I felt confused on. Learned a lot, but I still suffer a bit in LR. RC is great, though. Never had an issue with that. I just really don't have the time or $ to retake the test and buy materials :/ Suppose I could wait until next year to apply and save money, but would be fearful of my score actually going down

It can be done, man. I studied for the LSAT on active duty. The thing is, you have to give yourself more than two weeks lead time. More like six months lead time. Being a veteran already helps in admissions, and adding some points will be the difference for you between going to Fordham and getting saddled with a bunch of debt for meh job prospects, or going to Columbia/NYU. Sit out a year. It's nothing compared to the rest of your adult life.

Also, your score going down wouldn't really matter. 99% of the time when the school says they average, it's BS. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:46 am

natevines wrote:White male, former active duty Marine infantryman from age 18-22. I graduated SUNY Albany in two years afterwards (should reflect nicely, no?) with a 3.6, poly sci major. Took the LSAT once cold and got a 158. Retook it after minimal studying for Dec (didn't have time, unfortunately) and got a 162. I'm in the NYC area, and was dreaming of Columbia/NYU. Probably out of the question now. Is Fordham realistic? I have a half brother who went there. I'm willing to leave the area, though. What's the best I can do?

158 cold? Wow. Definitely get on a structured study routine and do not be surprised if you pass 170.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm

A 170+ is the only thing keeping you from NYU. 100% of 3.6 / 170+ applicants were admitted, although most of them had a 171+.

Return to “What are my chances?”