3.58, 170, reaching for NYU Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Borscht is Best

New

3.58, 170, reaching for NYU

Post by Borscht is Best » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 am

Hello everyone,

I scored a 170 in December. I've been living in China over the past year, and I'm hoping that my time spent here will be strong enough of a soft to push me into NYU range (planning to study international law).

If not NYU, how about UVA? Berkeley? GULC?

I'm also considering waiting until 2015 cycle and applying to NYU ED.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Re: 3.58, 170, reaching for NYU

Post by tiltedwindmill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 pm

You are at median for LSAT and below median for GPA. This a by far the most important point on your app. It is doubtful whether the China experience will push your over the edge- at best, it is a good soft (depending on what you did). However, myLSN gives you about a coin-flip.

Berk is out- your GPA is too low. No one with your numbers got it.

UVA is about the same a NYU.

N.B.- It is advisable that you really look at what international law is, and think or realistically about your goals. Because if you mean working at the ICJ or HRW or the like it is a very (VERY) small job market with a huge pool of extremely competitive candidates and your chances of disappointment exceed your chances of success.

lawschool22

Gold

Re: 3.58, 170, reaching for NYU

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Borscht is Best wrote:Hello everyone,

I scored a 170 in December. I've been living in China over the past year, and I'm hoping that my time spent here will be strong enough of a soft to push me into NYU range (planning to study international law).

If not NYU, how about UVA? Berkeley? GULC?

I'm also considering waiting until 2015 cycle and applying to NYU ED.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
What did you do while in China? Just living there will be an almost non-existent soft unless there is some interesting (valuable) experience you can point to.

Return to “What are my chances?”