Lower retake, decent numbers. HELP!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
amc987

Lower retake, decent numbers. HELP!

Postby amc987 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:37 am

OK y'all, my SO got her LSAT score back and she didn't do well. She got a 167 on the Dec LSAT down from 172 in October. I guess it was just a terrible day since she was PTing a good 10 points higher than that. She's kicking herself for not cancelling when she had the chance.

She is a URM Hispanic female with a 3.6 GPA from HYP.

How much is this going to mess up her odds at HYS? At scholarship money at schools ranked lower in the T14?

BigZuck

Re: Lower retake, decent numbers. HELP!

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:52 am

amc987 wrote:OK y'all, my SO got her LSAT score back and she didn't do well. She got a 167 on the Dec LSAT down from 172 in October. I guess it was just a terrible day since she was PTing a good 10 points higher than that. She's kicking herself for not cancelling when she had the chance.

How much is this going to mess up her odds at HYS? At scholarship money at schools ranked lower in the T14?

I sincerely hope she enjoys her time at Harvard. Or wherever 3.6/172 MA URMs go to law school.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:42 am

BigZuck wrote:
amc987 wrote:OK y'all, my SO got her LSAT score back and she didn't do well. She got a 167 on the Dec LSAT down from 172 in October. I guess it was just a terrible day since she was PTing a good 10 points higher than that. She's kicking herself for not cancelling when she had the chance.

I sincerely hope she enjoys her time at Harvard. Or wherever 3.6/172 MA URMs go to law school.

+1

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:47 am

it will not affect her Harvard chances. it will not affect her scholarship chances. she should not write an addendum explaining it. i am curious as to why she saw the need to retake though.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 am

Pneumonia wrote:it will not affect her Harvard chances. it will not affect her scholarship chances. she should not write an addendum explaining it. i am curious as to why she saw the need to retake though.

She was PTing in the mid 170s before Oct and the high 170s before December. She wants HYS or full rides at T14 schools. So she thought that having, say, a 3.6/176+ would be helpful. Unfortunately the universe did not work in her favor and Dec 7th turned into her own personal Pearl Harbor (her words not mine).

amc987

Postby amc987 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 am

BigZuck wrote:

Y'all really don't think this will mess her up for Harvard? What about Stanford? I'm assuming Yale is out for sure now if it wasn't before because of her GPA.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 am

That is understandable, but consider that she will not be viewed in comparison to the entire applicant pool, but rather in comparison to the URM applicant pool. She is already over the 75th's for URM and MA Female URM everywhere, so she shouldn't be worried about failing to increase her score.

Sure, a 176 is higher, but not being there won't hurt her. Good luck; she will have a great cycle.

Re: whether the lower score will hurt-
Data is cloudy at best, even when looking at non URM applicants. There is no reason to try to anticipate whether or not it will be a negative factor (and it most likely won't be). She should still apply to YHS. Also, it's not like a 167 is a terrible score for a female MA URM.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Does anyone else have insight on this?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm

amc987 wrote:Does anyone else have insight on this?

Not really. You got the most insightful responses. She'll be fine. Chillax.

Return to “What are my chances?”