splitter chances and/or how to spin?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zippernicus

splitter chances and/or how to spin?

Postby zippernicus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am

I don't quite qualify as a super splitter, but I am certainly a splitter.

LSAC GPA is 2.5 and LSAT is 168. I am somewhat unusual in terms of softs and have a very unusual upward trend in GPA. During my first 4 years of school I failed several classes (hence the 2.5). I withdrew from school for 3 years and worked. I then returned for my senior year at the same undergrad and my senior year GPA was 3.85.

Since then I have 5 more years of work experience. My recommendations are all stellar, including a professor I have kept in touch with over the past 5 years, who I had my senior year. My undergrad was a T25.

Any advice on chances and/or how to spin the GPA?

NavyOfficer23

Re: splitter chances and/or how to spin?

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am

Submit a very short addendum (1/2 page if you can) that briefly explains your GPA. Talk about personal experiences, growth, maturity, finding yourself, etc. You may even say that you would "welcome the opportunity to answer any questions in person or over the phone if need be" or something like that. If a school flat out rejects you because of the GPA, they didn't look at you hard enough and understand what they're getting. You probably wouldn't want to go there anyways.

I think you have a shot at cracking the T14. Write a killer PS and do the optional essays. Law schools know older students tend to do better in law school, so you have a leg up there, I'd say. Good luck!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:12 pm

NavyOfficer23 wrote:Submit a very short addendum (1/2 page if you can) that briefly explains your GPA. Talk about personal experiences, growth, maturity, finding yourself, etc. You may even say that you would "welcome the opportunity to answer any questions in person or over the phone if need be" or something like that. If a school flat out rejects you because of the GPA, they didn't look at you hard enough and understand what they're getting. You probably wouldn't want to go there anyways.

I think you have a shot at cracking the T14. Write a killer PS and do the optional essays. Law schools know older students tend to do better in law school, so you have a leg up there, I'd say. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. I hope the adcomms think like you. I am definitely going to add in the phrase about welcoming the opportunity for more questions, etc. Appreciate the suggestion!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 am

Thoughts on what schools I should be targeting?

Return to “What are my chances?”