Lowering my expectations... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
maureenedobor

New

Lowering my expectations...

Post by maureenedobor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm

CREDENTIALS:

OCTOBER LSAT: 144
DECEMBER LSAT: 153
LSAC GPA:2.98
DEGREE GPA: 3.85
University of Texas-Political Science Major- English Minor
Honors College- I had to write a thesis and do extra assignments (prolonged papers, etc.) for this program.

SOFTS:
Bill Archer Fellow: Government fellowship for a semester in D.C. with an internship via the University of Texas System including all the UT campuses. Very selective, only 30-40 picked.
Organizing for America Fellow
Organizing for Action Fellow (LOR #3)
Travis County Democratic Party Intern
Tutor for one year
Undergraduate Research Assistant-perused FBI files for a summer (LOR #2)
Law Firm Experience for 7 months as an undergraduate law clerk (LOR #1)
Thesis on the expanding surveillance state as it pertains to the FBI
Outstanding Paper Award for three papers, including my thesis
Several scholarships from Texas Appleseed (Diversity Legal Scholar) and the Honors College.

ADDENDUMS:
I originally went to UT Austin, I graduated high school early. I was 16 when I arrived and I was not ready. I ended up wasting two and a half years there with a horrible gpa due to substance abuse issues. I withdrew and went to rehab and then transferred to another UT campus.

My LSAC gpa is so horrible because of my years at UT Austin, but my past 1.5-2 years at my current university I have a cumulative GPA of 3.8. I only have two B's. I think that shows a lot of growth and maturity.

PERSONAL STATEMENT:
I'm writing about my substance abuse issues and the drastic change I made after REHAB.

LSAT: not quite sure how to explain the retake yet. I was writing a thesis, working almost full time at a law firm and as a tutor, so I had a lot on my plate the first time I took the LSAT...

DREAM SCHOOL:
Georgetown- should I even bother to apply?
OTHERS:
Notre Dame
Washington and Lee
William and Mary
SMU
University of Washington
Cornell-should i even bother to apply?
American U
Catholic U
Howard
*Are there any other schools I should consider that are ranked well??

I forgot demographics.. I am an AA female born in NY, but I moved to TX.

Thanks so much everyone!

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Re: Lowering my expectations...

Post by Kool-Aid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Don't lower your expectations! Retake the test one more time, and try to get that GPA above a 3.0.

Good luck

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Lowering my expectations...

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm

One thread per topic. Because you've had more responses in the URM forum, I'm going to lock this one. If you'd rather lock that one/keep this open, let me know.

Return to “What are my chances?”