164 + first class honour from a top university in the UK

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ywan1990

164 + first class honour from a top university in the UK

Postby ywan1990 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 pm

As the LSAT result (bitterly) turns out, I have only got a 164. The major for my undergraduate is philosophy and economics. It's a combined degree, not a dual. Even though it is NOT oxford/cambridge that I attended, it is one of the top.

I will retake the LSAT this Feb but I need to submit my application before then. So any advice regarding which schools I should be looking at now? Thanks!

guano

Re: 164 + first class honour from a top university in the UK

Postby guano » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 pm

ywan1990 wrote:As the LSAT result (bitterly) turns out, I have only got a 164. The major for my undergraduate is philosophy and economics. It's a combined degree, not a dual. Even though it is NOT oxford/cambridge that I attended, it is one of the top.

I will retake the LSAT this Feb but I need to submit my application before then. So any advice regarding which schools I should be looking at now? Thanks!

None

To get into a decent law school you need a better score

ywan1990

Postby ywan1990 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

guano wrote:
ywan1990 wrote:As the LSAT result (bitterly) turns out, I have only got a 164. The major for my undergraduate is philosophy and economics. It's a combined degree, not a dual. Even though it is NOT oxford/cambridge that I attended, it is one of the top.

None

To get into a decent law school you need a better score

Thanks for your reply. I have quite a bit of pressure to apply during the current cycle…Got really disappointed about the score, especially given the marks for my PTs. Would it be to late to apply even if I manage to get a better score in Feb? Theoretically, I know quite a few t14 do accept feb results, but as the application is on rolling-basis I am not sure how much realistic chance there will be for me….

guano

Postby guano » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 pm

It's not too late to use a June score.
Thing is, you need to apply before the deadline, which for many schools is before the feb results come in. Don't worry, they'll wait. June test is really only viable if you've already been waitlisted

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Don't go to law school this year unless you own the LSAT in Feb. Your GPA (replacement) is solid, and a 169+ score will get you into a lot of good places. Harvard is definitely on the table with a 173+.

So yeah. Don't force yourself to ED at UVA as a reverse splitter because you absolutely must go to law school this fall.

ywan1990

Postby ywan1990 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am confident that the dec score does not really reflect my ability, based on my Pt results. So shall I just retake LSAT and apply in the regular cycle now that it is unlikely ED will land me any advantage?

A second question that recently emerges is that some pretty good universities have sent me emails offering me application fee waiver. I am not sure if it is sort of marketing strategy that they send to everyone given the deteriorating application pool, or do they only send it to a selected number of applicants? Thanks!

guano

Postby guano » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

ywan1990 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am confident that the dec score does not really reflect my ability, based on my Pt results. So shall I just retake LSAT and apply in the regular cycle now that it is unlikely ED will land me any advantage?

A second question that recently emerges is that some pretty good universities have sent me emails offering me application fee waiver. I am not sure if it is sort of marketing strategy that they send to everyone given the deteriorating application pool, or do they only send it to a selected number of applicants? Thanks!

Some schools are very generous with them, for no discernible reason

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”