3.69 & 169 and a stroke in hs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
iamahumanbeing

3.69 & 169 and a stroke in hs

Postby iamahumanbeing » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 am

Long story short: white guy, had a stroke in hs (yep a cerebral infarct, the whole shebang), decent undergrad where I managed a 3.69 and got 169 in october.

Two questions: what schools would you suggest, only caring about ranking/prestige for future private practice (hate biglaw)? More importantly, do you think i should include the stroke story on my application? I truthfully worry whether schools would see it as a weakness ("oh he's gonna drop dead") or as not pertinent to law.

While i recognize i'm sterotyping a broad swath of people, no one who has actually undergone a traumatic experience wants to be tainted with the label "survivor." It's why i'd rather not speak about it again... But i also hear bullcrap stories about, say, a trip to the middle east convincing someone to vouch for gender equality- or someone hoping they can make a real difference to when, once all the cards are out on the table, all they really want is a good "hook" so they can easily fly off to their future biglaw jib.

Long story short: Where should i apply? would my stroke have any impact on my acceptance, and if so, would it be negative or postive?

NYstate

Re: 3.69 & 169 and a stroke in hs

Postby NYstate » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:35 am

1. Where to apply? You need to explain where you live, and your goals.

2. Don't mention the stroke. It doesn't seem relevant to your life now. And your grades and score are what matters.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Stroke might make a decent PS story, depending on what you can say about it. But it isn't the kind of thing that will make your cycle go differently than your numbers predict.

dusters

Postby dusters » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Target NYU and down. You have a real good shot at Michigan, UVA, Duke.

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:34 pm

I would only mention the stroke if it greatly impacted who you are as a person AND you can tie it in to why you want to practice law

Return to “What are my chances?”