3.5 171 AA, but...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
credence
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Freshman year of undergrad, I was charged with academic dishonesty (e.g. plagiarism). I have taken full ownership of it and I know that it was extremely foolish on my part. As a result, I was given a failing grade in the course and a mark was placed on my permanent record. I will disclose this in my applications.

It has been five years since I've graduated from an Ivy. During those five years, I have received a number of awards for my service as an officer in the military. However, I am stuck between extending my contract or pursuing a career in law. Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 pm

credence wrote: Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?

I bet you get into several

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:39 pm

credence wrote:Freshman year of undergrad, I was charged with academic dishonesty (e.g. plagiarism). I have taken full ownership of it and I know that it was extremely foolish on my part. As a result, I was given a failing grade in the course and a mark was placed on my permanent record. I will disclose this in my applications.

It has been five years since I've graduated from an Ivy. During those five years, I have received a number of awards for my service as an officer in the military. However, I am stuck between extending my contract or pursuing a career in law. Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?


With that LSAT score and military service, a URM has a good shot at the T14, maybe even HYS, even with the plagiarism. At the very worst, it's not a waste of time or money to apply. Good luck.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I bet you have a good cycle. Here's how I would look at it as an adcomm: he was 18 at the time, he's now 27-28. Since then, he's served as a military officer, presumably responsible for other people and a bunch of government equipment. He's (probably) deployed in that time. I'm guessing he's matured A LOT since being a college freshman.

You'll still need to write a good addendum, and maybe weave it into your PS. (Perhaps contrasting your immaturity/poor decision making as a freshman with the responsibility and integrity you've learned in the military...you get the idea.)

Combine that with AA status, the military boost, and a 170+ LSAT score, I bet you do just fine.

credence
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I bet you have a good cycle. Here's how I would look at it as an adcomm: he was 18 at the time, he's now 27-28. Since then, he's served as a military officer, presumably responsible for other people and a bunch of government equipment. He's (probably) deployed in that time. I'm guessing he's matured A LOT since being a college freshman.

You'll still need to write a good addendum, and maybe weave it into your PS. (Perhaps contrasting your immaturity/poor decision making as a freshman with the responsibility and integrity you've learned in the military...you get the idea.)

Combine that with AA status, the military boost, and a 170+ LSAT score, I bet you do just fine.


He is actually a she. :) Thanks for all of the solid advice! I was told to apply ED to better my chances of getting into a T14 school, but would you advise against this?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Even though you are a safe bet for, like, NYU/UVA ED, IMO you shouldn't ED
(Unless its to NU, cause they give full rides to their EDs)

You are a safe enough bet to be competitive for scholarships RD, and EDing generally completely forfeits all your leverage

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Nova wrote:Even though you are a safe bet for, like, NYU/UVA ED, IMO you shouldn't ED
(Unless its to NU, cause they give full rides to their EDs)

You are a safe enough bet to be competitive for scholarships RD, and EDing generally completely forfeits all your leverage


OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question. Also, have you considered FLEP? If you're torn between staying in the military and pursuing law...could do both.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question.

good point

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Academic dishonesty is a pretty big no-no (and might ding you unexpectedly at a weird school or two you weren't expecting to be dinged at), but you'll have a terrific cycle nonetheless.

Like others have said, don't ED. Is it too late to apply for FLEP/your branch's equivalent? That's easily the best solution for your situation.

credence
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question.
Yes.

twentypercentmore wrote:Like others have said, don't ED. Is it too late to apply for FLEP/your branch's equivalent? That's easily the best solution for your situation.
I've heard great things about the program, but I'm not interested in pursuing that path.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 pm

credence wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question.
Yes.



Good times. Are you a resident of Virginia, California, Michigan, or Pennsylvania? :)

Honestly, you're in a great position. I would apply to the entire T-14 and enjoy multiple good options.

credence
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm currently stationed in NC, but I have no idea where I'll be after my EAS date. I really appreciate the feedback.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


the UPenn is a state school thing never gets old. :D

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?


the UPenn is a state school thing never gets old. :D


I was talking about Penn State, OBVIOUSLY.

(D'oh!)

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Some T14s (like Yale and Chicago) will take academic dishonesty violations very seriously. I see you wait-listed there at best. Still, I think its worth applying to all the top schools, and you'll definitely see some positive action.

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 am

Enjoy Harvard. No way a plagiarism offense from almost a decade ago will keep them from admitting a URM with a 171.

credence
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm definitely not holding my breath for HYS. I really like the veteran presence at Columbia, so hopefully they'll bite.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest