3.5 171 AA, but...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
credence

3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Freshman year of undergrad, I was charged with academic dishonesty (e.g. plagiarism). I have taken full ownership of it and I know that it was extremely foolish on my part. As a result, I was given a failing grade in the course and a mark was placed on my permanent record. I will disclose this in my applications.

It has been five years since I've graduated from an Ivy. During those five years, I have received a number of awards for my service as an officer in the military. However, I am stuck between extending my contract or pursuing a career in law. Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?

Nova

Re: 3.5 171 AA, but...

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 pm

credence wrote: Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?

I bet you get into several

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:39 pm

credence wrote:Freshman year of undergrad, I was charged with academic dishonesty (e.g. plagiarism). I have taken full ownership of it and I know that it was extremely foolish on my part. As a result, I was given a failing grade in the course and a mark was placed on my permanent record. I will disclose this in my applications.

It has been five years since I've graduated from an Ivy. During those five years, I have received a number of awards for my service as an officer in the military. However, I am stuck between extending my contract or pursuing a career in law. Given my past academic record, is a T14 law school possible?

With that LSAT score and military service, a URM has a good shot at the T14, maybe even HYS, even with the plagiarism. At the very worst, it's not a waste of time or money to apply. Good luck.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I bet you have a good cycle. Here's how I would look at it as an adcomm: he was 18 at the time, he's now 27-28. Since then, he's served as a military officer, presumably responsible for other people and a bunch of government equipment. He's (probably) deployed in that time. I'm guessing he's matured A LOT since being a college freshman.

You'll still need to write a good addendum, and maybe weave it into your PS. (Perhaps contrasting your immaturity/poor decision making as a freshman with the responsibility and integrity you've learned in the military...you get the idea.)

Combine that with AA status, the military boost, and a 170+ LSAT score, I bet you do just fine.

credence

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I bet you have a good cycle. Here's how I would look at it as an adcomm: he was 18 at the time, he's now 27-28. Since then, he's served as a military officer, presumably responsible for other people and a bunch of government equipment. He's (probably) deployed in that time. I'm guessing he's matured A LOT since being a college freshman.

You'll still need to write a good addendum, and maybe weave it into your PS. (Perhaps contrasting your immaturity/poor decision making as a freshman with the responsibility and integrity you've learned in the military...you get the idea.)

Combine that with AA status, the military boost, and a 170+ LSAT score, I bet you do just fine.

He is actually a she. :) Thanks for all of the solid advice! I was told to apply ED to better my chances of getting into a T14 school, but would you advise against this?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Even though you are a safe bet for, like, NYU/UVA ED, IMO you shouldn't ED
(Unless its to NU, cause they give full rides to their EDs)

You are a safe enough bet to be competitive for scholarships RD, and EDing generally completely forfeits all your leverage

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Nova wrote:Even though you are a safe bet for, like, NYU/UVA ED, IMO you shouldn't ED
(Unless its to NU, cause they give full rides to their EDs)

You are a safe enough bet to be competitive for scholarships RD, and EDing generally completely forfeits all your leverage

OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question. Also, have you considered FLEP? If you're torn between staying in the military and pursuing law...could do both.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question.

good point

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Academic dishonesty is a pretty big no-no (and might ding you unexpectedly at a weird school or two you weren't expecting to be dinged at), but you'll have a terrific cycle nonetheless.

Like others have said, don't ED. Is it too late to apply for FLEP/your branch's equivalent? That's easily the best solution for your situation.

credence

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, are you post 9/11 GI Bill eligible? That adds quite a dimension to the scholarship question.
Yes.

twentypercentmore wrote:Like others have said, don't ED. Is it too late to apply for FLEP/your branch's equivalent? That's easily the best solution for your situation.
I've heard great things about the program, but I'm not interested in pursuing that path.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 pm

credence wrote:
Yes.

Good times. Are you a resident of Virginia, California, Michigan, or Pennsylvania? :)

Honestly, you're in a great position. I would apply to the entire T-14 and enjoy multiple good options.

credence

Postby credence » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm currently stationed in NC, but I have no idea where I'll be after my EAS date. I really appreciate the feedback.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Pennsylvania?

the UPenn is a state school thing never gets old. :D

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

the UPenn is a state school thing never gets old. :D

I was talking about Penn State, OBVIOUSLY.

(D'oh!)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Some T14s (like Yale and Chicago) will take academic dishonesty violations very seriously. I see you wait-listed there at best. Still, I think its worth applying to all the top schools, and you'll definitely see some positive action.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 am

Enjoy Harvard. No way a plagiarism offense from almost a decade ago will keep them from admitting a URM with a 171.

credence

Postby credence » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm definitely not holding my breath for HYS. I really like the veteran presence at Columbia, so hopefully they'll bite.

Return to “What are my chances?”