Soft's for HYS

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Anthony189

Soft's for HYS

Postby Anthony189 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm

When applying to HYS, how important are soft's?

Is it true that at H, if one has sufficient numbers, soft's are not that important?

Thank you :)

midnight_circus

Re: Soft's for HYS

Postby midnight_circus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Traditional wisdom/TLS consensus tends to state that there are a few softs that will help you outperform your numbers--military, rhodes scholar, olympian, child of foreign royalty, that sort of thing--but for the most part they serve as tie-breakers, slight boosts, or points of interest. Except at Yale. But who knows about Yale.

Traditional written English tends to state that nouns are pluralized with an s, not an apostrophe + s, which is reserved for possessives.

Anyway, if you are above both medians at Harvard, your softs shouldn't matter too much at all.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Based on my numbers, mylsn gives me over a 90 percent chance of getting into Harvard, but so far I haven't been accepted even though countless people who went complete/interviewed after me have, often with lower numbers. Moreover, it seems like acceptance calls are now only going to people who interviewed and went complete after me.

Obviously I may still be accepted, but I think being a K-JD has held me back so far, and I know the admissions dean has really stressed that post-graduation WE is highly desirable. I haven't heard back from S or Y yet, so I cannot say much about them, although traditionally they seem to place more weight on softs than HLS does.

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 pm

drawstring wrote:Based on my numbers, mylsn gives me over a 90 percent chance of getting into Harvard, but so far I haven't been accepted even though countless people who went complete/interviewed after me have, often with lower numbers. Moreover, it seems like acceptance calls are now only going to people who interviewed and went complete after me.

Obviously I may still be accepted, but I think being a K-JD has held me back so far, and I know the admissions dean has really stressed that post-graduation WE is highly desirable. I haven't heard back from S or Y yet, so I cannot say much about them, although traditionally they seem to place more weight on softs than HLS does.

What are your numbers?

What kind of softs, if any?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:23 pm

I have a fair bit of work experience for a K-JD, including substantive jobs in law and politics. I also worked a full-time job for over a year, and have not just had 3-4 month periods of employment during the summer. My volunteer experience is fairly extensive and probably stronger than my WE. Despite this, I got the sense from my interview that me being a K-JD was an issue, although it's important to note that multiple K-JDs with similar numbers have gotten in this cycle. I don't think I bombed the interview, so I'm fairly confident it's not holding me back.

At Harvard I'm above a 75th and just above or at the other median. In recent cycles virtually everyone with my numbers has been accepted to HLS, though a small portion did so after being waitlisted. Numbers may be the most important aspect of the admissions game, but they aren't the only part--even at a school like HLS that's considered relatively numbers-driven. Other posters with better numbers than mine are having the same issue.

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:25 am

I spent the far majority of my time studying the LSAT and, as a consequence, have not made much time for extracurricular activities.

I mean, I've been part of some very typical stuff like the debate club, peer tutoring, and i'm trying to get a job at the law courts, but besides that,
i don't have much... :(

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 am

With your numbers I don't think your softs have to be that good to get into Harvard, though a complete lack of them will look bad. Stanford and Yale are more selective and unspectacular softs will likely hurt you more there, although your excellent numbers may be strong enough to keep you in contention. Also, I mentioned that I think my softs are holding me back, but I know several other people with comparable numbers and softs who were accepted, so there may be some randomness as to who and when someone with good numbers is held back due to non-numerical factors.

I think K-JD status is important too and shapes how some adcoms view your application. My interviewer seemed to focus largely on the fact that I was in school and didn't have post-graduation WE, and possibly overlooked the fact that I still had substantive, relevant, and prolonged experience despite still being in undergrad. Even just a year out of school and some post-graduation WE may help you avoid the K-JD downfall I think I may be experiencing.

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 am

Well I hope you get in man. All the best of luck to ya.

So, is it safe to say that when one is at, or above, the 75% admissions range it is very likely that one will be accepted?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 am

Anthony189 wrote:Well I hope you get in man. All the best of luck to ya.

So, is it safe to say that when one is at, or above, the 75% admissions range it is very likely that one will be accepted?

Yes at Harvard, and even with my slightly lower numbers the chances are still in the 90s there based on mylsn.info--of course it's not just about numbers and some people with high stats will still be turned away.

And thanks for the good wishes; I hope I have good news to share soon!

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:48 am

Drawstring, I think you'll get into HLS. Even if it's late cycle, they like their numbers, so I have a good feeling about your prospects.

In general, I get the impression that softs at HLS are only important for <25 applicants. I had no volunteer exp and mediocre work and wound up with a spot. SLS and Yale, though, are a complete enigma to me. I feel like numbers mean that they'll actually look at your application, and then softs/LOR/PS help them decide.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 pm

HorseThief wrote:Drawstring, I think you'll get into HLS. Even if it's late cycle, they like their numbers, so I have a good feeling about your prospects.

In general, I get the impression that softs at HLS are only important for <25 applicants. I had no volunteer exp and mediocre work and wound up with a spot. SLS and Yale, though, are a complete enigma to me. I feel like numbers mean that they'll actually look at your application, and then softs/LOR/PS help them decide.

I'm trying to stay optimistic!

We have very similar numbers and if your softs are fairly weak then it just reinforces my hunch that there is some arbitrariness to the process. I cannot think of much else that would hold me back other than softs or a bad LOR (I haven't read them).

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 am

How does the 'prestige', if you will, of one's undergraduate institution factor into the admissions decision?

I attend the University of Alberta, in Canada. Its no U of T, or Mcgill, but it is considered (at least from what I'm told) a top Canadian institution.

Postby 062914123 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:57 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 am

Hahah bee, I am not suggesting that UAlberta will boost me; in fact, I was worried about the opposite....

Postby 062914123 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:29 am

bee wrote:
Anthony189 wrote:Hahah bee, I am not suggesting that UAlberta will boost me; in fact, I was worried about the opposite....

nope, it wont hurt you either

Yeah this. There are some schools that can actively hurt your chances, but unless its like, U of Phoenix, it would probably be in a minor way.

Anthony189

Postby Anthony189 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 am

phillywc wrote:
bee wrote:
Anthony189 wrote:Hahah bee, I am not suggesting that UAlberta will boost me; in fact, I was worried about the opposite....

Yeah this. There are some schools that can actively hurt your chances, but unless its like, U of Phoenix, it would probably be in a minor way.

So are you suggesting that UAlberta will hurt me in a minor way, or will be of no significance to my potential admission?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:22 am

Anthony189 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
bee wrote:

So are you suggesting that UAlberta will hurt me in a minor way, or will be of no significance to my potential admission?

Alberta is a good enough school, shouldn't hurt. My UG might hurt, as it is a less prestigious state school.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm

In both the OP and the thread title, you asked about "soft's", possessive, and you pretty clearly meant "softs", plural. I only mention it because you explicitly made the error not once, but 3 for 3; avoid these minor grammatical slip ups on your application - that is an easy 'negative soft', per se, at HYS, where your application will be closely read for this type of crap. It's the first thing I noticed, and Asha would notice it too.

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 pm

drawstring wrote:Based on my numbers, mylsn gives me over a 90 percent chance of getting into Harvard, but so far I haven't been accepted even though countless people who went complete/interviewed after me have, often with lower numbers. Moreover, it seems like acceptance calls are now only going to people who interviewed and went complete after me.

I think that this is very hard to predict. I am also K-JD with average softs at best from an unimpressive state university, with one number just below median and the other above 75th and I was admitted. Honestly drawstring, you are probably going to be admitted in the next batch.

OP, it is difficult to predict which softs will help and which won't. I think that the common consensus is that you need something (leaderships, WE, etc) or it counts as a negative everywhere. Numbers are probably the most important part at H and who even knows about SY. Except you need a killer GPA for S. However, if you are a K-JD and feel like you haven't accomplished anything important but you have great numbers then I wouldn't sweat it too much. You'll still have a great shot.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Ya, it's definitely hard to predict and I think there is some arbitrariness to it. But I do feel at this point like the only thing they could really be holding me back for is my K-JD status and the perception that I need more WE.

But for the most part, it does seem to be a numbers game, and as long as OP doesn't lack any softs he should have a relatively good shot at HYS; just don't start thinking a school like Harvard is a sure thing because of your stats though OP (not that you seem to think that).

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Oh, definitely. Sorry, I think I came off wrong and kinda condescending/aggressive in my previous post. The fact of the matter is that no one really knows what goes on at HYS admissions office (except KB if she wants the chime in :wink: ). I guess all I meant to say was that if you are above both medians at H, you have a decent chance of admission but that is not necessarily the case at SY.

As for you in particular, I don't even know your stats so I have no idea why I commented. Just want you to get admitted, I suppose :D Either way, good luck drawstring and OP! (and anyone else trying to crack the Holy Trinity of course.)

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't think you came across as condescending or aggressive at all and I agree with you for the most part.

Thanks for the well wishes!

:D

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Just get the best GPA/LSAT you can possibly get, get involved in stuff in college that genuinely interests you, and have as much fun as you possibly can. And then apply.

That's all you can do. Oh, and try not to be a bunch of stress monsters when Ivy League schools aren't accepting you at a rate that you deem appropriate given your obvious awesomeness. It's not even January 1st yet my bros.

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:Just get the best GPA/LSAT you can possibly get, get involved in stuff in college that genuinely interests you, and have as much fun as you possibly can. And then apply.

That's all you can do. Oh, and try not to be a bunch of stress monsters when Ivy League schools aren't accepting you at a rate that you deem appropriate given your obvious awesomeness. It's not even January 1st yet my bros.

But..but.. why hasn't Yale accepted me yet? I know I haven't applied but surely my special snowflakeness can overcome that!

Return to “What are my chances?”