Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
liammial
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby liammial » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 am

BigZuck wrote:At most schools you take one test per class and your entire grade is based on it. So you take about 20 tests total in law school. And they are all much less fair than the LSAT. Sometimes your teacher doesn't teach you anything and you have to teach the subject to yourself. Sometimes they teach you lots of stuff but test you on something that you barely covered in class. And then of course you can't take the test whenever you're ready, nor can you retake it as many times as you want.

20>>>1. Also, the fact something else is unfair doesn't mean it's okay for the first thing to be unfair. That kind of logic would get you a bad score on the LSAT.

BigZuck wrote:The field of law has a bunch of tests associated with it. And the slim margins of the LSAT are only unfair insofar as law schools have to be concerned about rankings because people care about them even though they are meaningless. Finally, Berkeley is selling the same crap, just in a different package that appeals to certain people. Deal with it.

I know why law schools care; that doesn't make it less stupid. You've yet to actually explain how Berkeley is selling the same crap. They're objectively less stats-based. They sell that, and rightfully so. That's not the "same crap," though.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby kwais » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 am

Oh come on man. Berkeley allows students to have gotten a few points less on the LSAT, which according to your calculus, is a meaningless distinction. So how can they be be a shining beacon of holistic admissions and the rest are whores?
Also, do you plan to pull this schtick when you are in EIP with a bunch of Bs? Are you going to tell the interviewer that they are making a wild mistake using 6-7 law school exams (which are far more arbitrary than the LSAT) to judge your potential worth as an associate? At what point will you man up and just play the game and accept the consequences? Why not find a more "fair" career path?

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:52 am

Just because Berkeley cares about one stat over another doesn't mean they are neccessarily less stat based. Also, the wholistic approach is pretty much a flame that they can sell to a lot of people to drive up interest in their school and appear to look different. They care about the same soft factors of every other top school, they care about URMness, etc. They don't care that you were the treasurer of your fraternity and worked at a soup kitchen once. A lot of 3.8/161 types see "wholistic review" and think their run of the mill softs might get them in when, in all actuality, mere mortals need like a 170/3.85 minimum to have a realistic shot. Why? Because those are the stats that mere mortals need to get in to Berkeley! If you're URM, or LGBT, or military, etc. that might get you into Cal but there's a good chance you would snag other top schools too.

Their median LSAT is a little lower than most top schools. Like missing 3 questions on the LSAT lower. Doesn't mean they don't care about the same crap. They just package themselves as the cool hippy school stocked with fraternity treasurers and occasional soup kitchen workers to make people think that they really care about who they are deep down.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Also, I never said any of this is fair or that it's ok for it to be unfair. It just is what it is. If you want to be in the game you've gotta play the game.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby whereskyle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:43 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:3.8X/high 160 LSAT. Two years w/e as a paralegal at top, national law firm. Significant work experience during undergrad and unique softs.

In at Michigan, Duke, Cornell, GULC, BU, and BC.

Chances at H, S, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, and Penn?

What about chances for $$$ at the schools I am into?

Obviously considering a retake/reapply next summer.

ETA: I have only taken the LSAT once.


It's possible that Northwestern might throw you some money due to your work experience.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby whereskyle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:47 pm

liammial wrote:
BigZuck wrote:At most schools you take one test per class and your entire grade is based on it. So you take about 20 tests total in law school. And they are all much less fair than the LSAT. Sometimes your teacher doesn't teach you anything and you have to teach the subject to yourself. Sometimes they teach you lots of stuff but test you on something that you barely covered in class. And then of course you can't take the test whenever you're ready, nor can you retake it as many times as you want.

20>>>1. Also, the fact something else is unfair doesn't mean it's okay for the first thing to be unfair. That kind of logic would get you a bad score on the LSAT.

BigZuck wrote:The field of law has a bunch of tests associated with it. And the slim margins of the LSAT are only unfair insofar as law schools have to be concerned about rankings because people care about them even though they are meaningless. Finally, Berkeley is selling the same crap, just in a different package that appeals to certain people. Deal with it.

I know why law schools care; that doesn't make it less stupid. You've yet to actually explain how Berkeley is selling the same crap. They're objectively less stats-based. They sell that, and rightfully so. That's not the "same crap," though.


Berk rejected me, I think, becuz I don't have a GPA. Its peers admitted me and its superiors WLed me. Stats-based and predictable like the rest of 'em.

liammial
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby liammial » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Once again, I never said the LSAT shouldn't matter; I said a single point difference should mean basically nothing. Me calling Berkeley less stats-based is not based on their slightly lower LSAT medians, it's based on looking at statistics of law school applicants from my undergrad and chances of admission being considerably less predictable than for other schools (except Stanford, basically).

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:23 pm

liammial wrote:Once again, I never said the LSAT shouldn't matter; I said a single point difference should mean basically nothing. Me calling Berkeley less stats-based is not based on their slightly lower LSAT medians, it's based on looking at statistics of law school applicants from my undergrad and chances of admission being considerably less predictable than for other schools (except Stanford, basically).


Sweet. Best of luck to you, Godspeed friend.

liammial
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby liammial » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
liammial wrote:Once again, I never said the LSAT shouldn't matter; I said a single point difference should mean basically nothing. Me calling Berkeley less stats-based is not based on their slightly lower LSAT medians, it's based on looking at statistics of law school applicants from my undergrad and chances of admission being considerably less predictable than for other schools (except Stanford, basically).


Sweet. Best of luck to you, Godspeed friend.

I guess that means I win :mrgreen:

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Guys, liammial LOVES to argue. I hope that's what he wrote his PS about. :D

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby phillywc » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:23 am

midwest17 wrote:Guys, liammial LOVES to argue. I hope that's what he wrote his PS about. :D

DEAD

redsoxfan1989
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Postscript: Got a scholarship that will make my attendance at BU debt free today!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests