Apps Submitted... Should I Retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mirroroferised7

Apps Submitted... Should I Retake?

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Last edited by mirroroferised7 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amc987

Re: Apps Submitted... Should I Retake?

Postby amc987 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:13 pm

If you want HLS, I would probably retake and aim for 173+. There aren't a ton of candidates who get in with 3.8/170s. Your numbers as they stand are below both medians. There are significantly more applicants who get in with 3.8/173+. If you pulled off 3-4 more points, you'd be at or above the LSAT median which helps a lot at schools that are as numbers-heavy as HLS.

And yes, schools would care about a small improvement because they're generally concerned about their medians. They would rather admit a person in March with 3.8/173+ than a person with a 3.8/170.

What do you have to lose? If you get in before February (and that's possible depending on the strength of your resume, essay, and recs), you could always not retake the test. If you don't get what you were shooting for, at least you gave it a shot. It's not like you have a 175 and might shoot yourself in the foot by gunning for something better.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks for the response! Should I email schools now and let them know I'm taking the February LSAT? Or hold off until February?

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Hm this is a tricky position, because you could risk it and not tell them you're retaking and possibly get in without the retake. But you could also get a waitlist in January if they aren't aware that you're taking February.

If it was my choice to make, I'd probably not tell them, knowing that the chances of getting a straight rejection in January are low with a 170. If a Hold or Waitlist does happen, at least you'll have a solid LOCI update in a new LSAT score in February

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Hm this is a tricky position, because you could risk it and not tell them you're retaking and possibly get in without the retake. But you could also get a waitlist in January if they aren't aware that you're taking February.

If it was my choice to make, I'd probably not tell them, knowing that the chances of getting a straight rejection in January are low with a 170. If a Hold or Waitlist does happen, at least you'll have a solid LOCI update in a new LSAT score in February

Rejections in January for people who submitted in October do happen, although it looks it's mostly people with worse numbers than you on one of the scales.

Bear in mind, though, that it's not just January that's relevant, it's also February, since you won't be able to send your score until several weeks after the test.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 pm

I think I will hold out on telling them, retake, and then, if I feel confident in my score, let them know that I have a score coming.

To be honest, I'm not incredibly interested in HYS, I mostly just want $$$ from CCN. Paying sticker in NYC?

Return to “What are my chances?”