chances at $$$ money part time in dc

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dcworkingman

chances at $$$ money part time in dc

Postby dcworkingman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:27 pm

reposted from financial aid forum - could go both ways (thats what she..nevermind)

has anyone had any experience with getting part-time $$$ from DC Schools? 168 - 3.6 are my numbers, been working for fed gov for 5+ years. GW, GMU, American specifically. Doubt GULC would give me anything.

Need to do part time because I know i won't be getting enough money at the top schools to give up my secure federal job. The goal is minimum to no loans for a JD.

i know part-time $$$ is hard to come by, but i feel there are a lot of part-timers in the DC Area and these schools hopefully would be more inclined to give part time money. what are my chances? any thoughts?

twenty

Re: chances at $$$ money part time in dc

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Not very good, because part time programs do not give out much in terms of scholarships through regular decision. However, if you can ED to GWU's part time program (assuming it gives you a full ride), I would absolutely do that if you must stay in DC for work. Alternatively, retake your 168 and go full time to a T14.

5+ years with the feds in DC is enough to be making at least GS-11 (and you should be competitive for 12 pretty fast), why are you thinking about part time law school?

dcworkingman

Postby dcworkingman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the advice on GW ED for part time - i will look into that.

I am actually a 13, which is exactly why part time ( with $$$) appeals to me. Its hard to give up that guaranteed salary for uncertain future. If i can keep the salary and get a JD for cheap, everybody wins. Well maybe i just win but thats what is important.

I am also debt averse as i still have a decent amount of UG loans im paying off.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:50 am

dcworkingman wrote:Thanks for the advice on GW ED for part time - i will look into that.

I am actually a 13, which is exactly why part time ( with $$$) appeals to me. Its hard to give up that guaranteed salary for uncertain future. If i can keep the salary and get a JD for cheap, everybody wins. Well maybe i just win but thats what is important.

I am also debt averse as i still have a decent amount of UG loans im paying off.

Yeahhhh, I guess I can see the appeal of a cheap part-time degree if you're a 13 after five years experience. At the point where you're basically just using it as an MBA, cheapest option in the DC metro area is probably a good plan. You have a couple of good choices, though I'm afraid GULC may not be one of them. :\

Return to “What are my chances?”