Can someone explain this? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
p3aceandl0v3

New

Can someone explain this?

Post by p3aceandl0v3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:44 pm

I put in 4.17 ugpa and 167 lsat score on my lsn, not URM, applying from Jan to May - and it says i have 0% chance at Cornell while i have 57% chance at nyu. how does this make sense? these numbers are at cornells median for lsat and above their 75 percentile for ugpa, while this lsat score is below nyu's 25th percentile. can any shed some light on this discrepancy?

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Can someone explain this?

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 pm

p3aceandl0v3 wrote:I put in 4.17 ugpa and 167 lsat score on my lsn, not URM, applying from Jan to May - and it says i have 0% chance at Cornell while i have 57% chance at nyu. how does this make sense? these numbers are at cornells median for lsat and above their 75 percentile for ugpa, while this lsat score is below nyu's 25th percentile. can any shed some light on this discrepancy?
Use http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:51 pm

because you're not doing it right. Do the simple version.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:55 pm

p3aceandl0v3 wrote:I put in 4.17 ugpa and 167 lsat score on my lsn, not URM, applying from Jan to May - and it says i have 0% chance at Cornell while i have 57% chance at nyu. how does this make sense? these numbers are at cornells median for lsat and above their 75 percentile for ugpa, while this lsat score is below nyu's 25th percentile. can any shed some light on this discrepancy?
This is why you shouldn't use automatic search, and if you do, you need to look at the exact profiles the data comes from by clicking the >>>> symbol on the right.

All the people with similar numbers got waitlisted at Cornell because 4 of the 5 had less than a 167 and the fifth person applied in a cycle when the median was still 168.

As for NYU, I don't know. They have a larger class size and tend to take more reverse splitters who report on LSN? Something like that.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
How is someone who has been on this site for a year and a half still recommending LSP?

LSP is utterly worthless. Use http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
How is someone who has been on this site for a year and a half still recommending LSP?

LSP is utterly worthless. Use http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php.
Eh, it's decent for the bottom half of t-14.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:14 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
Under no circumstances.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Small sample size is the much easier answer. There are so few points of data that getting a reliable projection based on a formula is impossible, with most schools you are talking about 1 person a year. Maybe they got WL or Rejected as yield protection, maybe they had an incomplete application,maybe they applied super late in the cycle, maybe their personal statement or Why X? essay was terrible, maybe a reference ripped them in their reference letter, maybe they were a convicted child molester, who knows why a single person gets dinged.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Cellar-door wrote:Small sample size is the much easier answer. There are so few points of data that getting a reliable projection based on a formula is impossible, with most schools you are talking about 1 person a year. Maybe they got WL or Rejected as yield protection, maybe they had an incomplete application,maybe they applied super late in the cycle, maybe their personal statement or Why X? essay was terrible, maybe a reference ripped them in their reference letter, maybe they were a convicted child molester, who knows why a single person gets dinged.
myLSN doesn't use formulas. Lawschoolpredictor does, which is why you shouldn't use it.

The real problem was identified above: when putting in a number close to a threshold, either just above or just below, the automatic search doesn't give great results. You need to use manual search.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”