3.2 / 158, SORRY FOR THE WORD VOMIT SORRY

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
xoxo, gossipgirl

3.2 / 158, SORRY FOR THE WORD VOMIT SORRY

Postby xoxo, gossipgirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:30 pm

thaaankkkksss got my questions answered on a different thread

xoxo, the special snowflake.
Last edited by xoxo, gossipgirl on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pancakes12

Re: 3.2 / 158, SORRY FOR THE WORD VOMIT SORRY

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Your chances are no different than any other 3.2/158 AA female

Edit: use law school numbers

xoxo, gossipgirl

Postby xoxo, gossipgirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

thaaankkkksss got my questions answered on a different thread.

Last edited by xoxo, gossipgirl on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

This was a really odd post. But all the stuff about taking out classes and having a certain gpa is irrelevant. Whatever gpa lsac gives you is what they give you. You can put all that other stuff in addendums.

You might have a shot at USC and UCLA but for Columbia and NYU you will need a stellar application.

Also, you're definitely not the only actress applying to law school.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Also, it's odd to me that you would cry over what we say on a website but managed to survive being homeless. I would think your skin would've thicker than that.

I mean this in the nicest way possible
Last edited by mandyjay11 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Well, if you knew you wanted to go to law school, the late night club job as a student and graduating early were both really bad calls. Still, as an AA female with unique experiences, you'll outperform your numbers. Since you've taken the LSAT 3 times in the past year, I would get a day job either in your field or in a professional sphere, if wasserman can set it up for you, and wait until you can retake the LSAT sleeping normal hours with significant focus. This might not be for another year, but it is worth it. You need healthy routines with free weekends and evenings to study and PT regularly. Your process should be extremely regimented; it's possible with full time work, but not with wacky hours - not sure whether you can avoid this in the acting world, but there it is.

If you try to apply now, you will be locked out of the T14 (most likely) and have to go to a regional school in a market where you have no ties and will inevitably accrue significant student loan debt with poor job prospects. If you were to get a 168+ on your LSAT (10 pt increase, quite achievable), you could go to Columbia or New York with some scholarship money, or UCLA/USC full ride.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Well, if you knew you wanted to go to law school, the late night club job as a student and graduating early were both really bad calls. Still, as an AA female with unique experiences, you'll outperform your numbers. Since you've taken the LSAT 3 times in the past year, I would get a day job either in your field or in a professional sphere, if wasserman can set it up for you, and wait until you can retake the LSAT sleeping normal hours with significant focus. This might not be for another year, but it is worth it. You need healthy routines with free weekends and evenings to study and PT regularly. Your process should be extremely regimented; it's possible with full time work, but not with wacky hours - not sure whether you can avoid this in the acting world, but there it is.

If you try to apply now, you will be locked out of the T14 (most likely) and have to go to a regional school in a market where you have no ties and will inevitably accrue significant student loan debt with poor job prospects. If you were to get a 168+ on your LSAT (10 pt increase, quite achievable), you could go to Columbia or New York with some scholarship money, or UCLA/USC full ride.

It sounded like she only has two LSATs in the past year?

OP: you don't need to start school in the fall. Your life will be many, many times better in the long run if you take another year off and follow bagel's advice about studying for the LSAT properly.

High 160s is what you need to shoot for to either get T14 or regional at a reasonable price. Anything you can get above that only helps you.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Re-take the LSAT, otherwise even as a URM you have almost no shot at any school on your list worth going to. They won't care about any of the reasons behind your GPA, but you can offset it with the URM bump assuming you get a significant improvement in your LSAT score. Go to the LSAT sub-forum, read the good advice there, put a lot of work into it, and crush it in Feb.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:31 pm

i need to start school in the fall.

No you don't. This is like going to a car dealership with the intention that you absolutely must leave the lot with a car. Truth be told, you're going to get hosed, and your numbers are definitely not your friends here in that regard.

You absolutely must retake, and keep retaking until you get a score that will land you in at least the T13 at sticker. You are way better off homeless and jobless than homeless, jobless, and holding $250,000 of debt.

xoxo, gossipgirl

Postby xoxo, gossipgirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Last edited by xoxo, gossipgirl on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm

xoxo, gossipgirl wrote:my situation concerning T14 is pretty different from most i guess-- at this point, the schools i've listed are the only ones i care about applying to and getting accepted to, some obviously more than others. (USC, UCLA, NYU, Pepperdine, Loyola, Columbia)

The irony is, you actually have a better shot at better schools due to your GPA, but they're not on your list because... why? Cornell and Northwestern are way more likely to take you than USC or UCLA.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm

NYU and Columbia are T14, and you're not getting them without a significant bump in LSAT. You're also probably not getting the other schools at a price worth attending without the same thing (albeit maybe fewer points).

There's a difference between studying a lot and studying efficiently. Check out the guides in the LSAT forum.

xoxo, gossipgirl

Postby xoxo, gossipgirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Last edited by xoxo, gossipgirl on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm

you might get USC early decision, but that's a pretty reckless financial decision unless your parents are footing the bill

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Ok, so you seem to be locked into LA and NYC, which leads to the question... why do you want to go to law school? Are you focused on those because you are shooting for Entertainment law? (good luck, it's brutally competitive).
On the whole I'd say this: Don't go to any of your target schools at sticker except Columbia and maybe NYU. Do not pay more than half tuition at USC or UCLA. Don't pay more than 1/3 tuiton at Fordham. don't go to any other NYC or LA school unless you have a plan for cheap living expenses, you are looking at 2 of the most expensive cities in the country and your debt from COL alone is probably at least $75K probably more.

Also seriously consider NU or Cornell, there are few career paths that would be better served by any of the CA schools or Fordham over those two. I'd add UVA as well.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

So just to be clear then, you'd take Chapman or Loyola over Cornell or Northwestern (of which you're not applying to) because you don't personally think you'd be very happy being cold? Cornell or Northwestern is FAR more likely to get you "global/social justice" spots than Chapman, so its relevance to your career goals is fairly short-sighted as well.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:23 pm

I mean, like, I get the desire to live in SoCal or NYC, but you absolutely can not go to law school with those numbers then. You get to pick one or the other.

(sorry to double post. ._.)

xoxo, gossipgirl

Postby xoxo, gossipgirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:34 pm

i have a kind of sponsership, but i have to start law school in the fall to use it, which is why waiting a year isn't an option. if i may ask, what makes you think USC?

thanks!

So just to be clear then, you'd take Chapman or Loyola over Cornell or Northwestern (of which you're not applying to) because you don't personally think you'd be very happy being cold? Cornell or Northwestern is FAR more likely to get you "global/social justice" spots than Chapman, so its relevance to your career goals is fairly short-sighted as well.

would i pick chapman over cornell? no, probably not. but that would be a situation where i would enter cornell knowing full well that my goal would be to transfer at the end of the year, and i know that you shouldn't pick law schools as stepping stones. and it's not just a matter of SoCal or NYC, or even the cold. i mean, i've lived through blizzards, they don't suck that much. but my career goals arent specifically global justice. they're also tied into markets that i see thriving the most in California and NYC, and i don't want to waste three years away from that area and then have to come in as a graduate without a network. i'd rather start where i want to end up. :)

Ok, so you seem to be locked into LA and NYC, which leads to the question... why do you want to go to law school? Are you focused on those because you are shooting for Entertainment law? (good luck, it's brutally competitive).

that is part of the reason. and the living expenses i'm prepared for in both cities, in terms of cheap housing, etc, but there are only a few schools i'd pay sticker for off my list, and NYU and Columbia are among them. thank you!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm

xoxo, gossipgirl wrote:i have a kind of sponsership, but i have to start law school in the fall to use it, which is why waiting a year isn't an option. if i may ask, what makes you think USC?

thanks!

would i pick chapman over cornell? no, probably not. but that would be a situation where i would enter cornell knowing full well that my goal would be to transfer at the end of the year, and i know that you shouldn't pick law schools as stepping stones. and it's not just a matter of SoCal or NYC, or even the cold. i mean, i've lived through blizzards, they don't suck that much. but my career goals arent specifically global justice. they're also tied into markets that i see thriving the most in California and NYC, and i don't want to waste three years away from that area and then have to come in as a graduate without a network. i'd rather start where i want to end up. :)

that is part of the reason. and the living expenses i'm prepared for in both cities, in terms of cheap housing, etc, but there are only a few schools i'd pay sticker for off my list, and NYU and Columbia are among them. thank you!

Cornell targets the NYC market more than almost any other school, fyi

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:50 pm

xoxo, gossipgirl wrote:would i pick chapman over cornell? no, probably not. but that would be a situation where i would enter cornell knowing full well that my goal would be to transfer at the end of the year, and i know that you shouldn't pick law schools as stepping stones. and it's not just a matter of SoCal or NYC, or even the cold. i mean, i've lived through blizzards, they don't suck that much. but my career goals arent specifically global justice. they're also tied into markets that i see thriving the most in California and NYC, and i don't want to waste three years away from that area and then have to come in as a graduate without a network. i'd rather start where i want to end up. :)

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
Cornell places more than half its graduates in NY. People go to Cornell gunning for NYC All. The. Time. You will have the opportunity to network. You just need to hustle a bit. Thinking otherwise is absurd. Is it as good as Columbia? No. Is it great for SoCal? Also no. (Though 7% isn't terribly shabby.) Is it better than Chapman in every appreciable way? http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chapman Uh, yes. If you're equally comfortable working in NY and CA--hell, even if you aren't--"probably" should not be included in that answer. You would not need to transfer from Cornell.

Northwestern places 11% of its grads in CA. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northwestern Again, you'd need to hustle. But I'd rather that over only a 34% chance of being a lawyer at all.
Unless being in SoCal is more important to you than being a lawyer. Is it? Because you also didn't answer why you want to be a lawyer.

What kind of sponsorship is this, anyway? Are we talking full-ride tuition? If not, it may be more to your advantage to get a higher LSAT--I don't care that you went through all the study materials. You still should be aiming higher and studying more effectively--and get $$$ from a decent school on your own than be forced to start too soon and risk graduating from a TTTT institution and never practicing "social justice" law, whatever that may be. Your sponsor either doesn't understand law schools or doesn't have your best interests at heart if he/it forces you to take on any significant debt with a sub-160 LSAT.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah. As noted above, Cornell gives you a better chance at a good NY job than anything on your list except Columbia and maybe NYU.
As for LA, you'd have a better shot at almost any job with any T14 degree than with any school in LA outside maybe USC and UCLA.
In order to give you better advice we'd need to know what you want to do (Big Law, public interest, what field etc.)
However if you aren't sharing that info the bottom line would be this:

You are highly unlikely to get into any school that won't put you in a nearly insurmountable hole of debt unless your LSAT improves significantly and/or you open your search up to more schools.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Lol.

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 am

Judging from your personality, you seem like the type of person that freaks out after tests, always thinking they did worse than they actually did.

I say come back with your December score. A 165 opens up a lot of doors

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 am

Why ask for advice, then dispute every single thing posted?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:48 pm

xoxo, gossipgirl wrote:it really is a pure location thing for me. i know it's kind of shooting myself in the foot, but there's no point of me applying to those schools, because not only would i not be happy at these schools themselves (i'm from texas. i've been to ithaca- its a cold snowy tundra), but they also don't serve to further my own eventual career goals.

This is insane. It's like deciding to go to NYLS over Cornell because you think you'll be closer to biglaw firms. Understand this:

The most important thing on your resume for any entry-level legal job is where you went to law school.

Coming from a practicing lawyer, to pass up an opportunity to go to a T13 school because you think you might get a couple of extra internships in entertainment law by living in the city (that's not a thing, btw) is nuts, one reason simply being that there are internships in the summers too. But more fundamentally, your career goals should be to get a job and pay down your debt. You say you want to start where you end up, but remember, many people who go to schools like Chapman never actually start in the first place.

Return to “What are my chances?”