174 / 3.45 GPA splitter - UChicago?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
midwest17

Re: 174 / 3.45 GPA splitter - UChicago?

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:20 pm

theramblingfool wrote:That makes a lot of sense. I'm not just concerned with prestige and what that will do for me, though. I am more interested in the actual substance. I want to make the decision that will benefit me the most in terms of strengthening my mind.

As this is all uncharted territory for me, I don't know if UChicago and Northwestern vary to any significant degree in this regard.

They probably do, to a certain extent. UChi is going to attract more academically minded people, and NU is going to attract more business oriented people. But I don't think the difference is sufficient to justify paying much money for.

UChi is worth paying for over NU if you want fed clerk, non-Chicago big law, or entry level positions for which prestige is very important.*

*Note: this is based on off the top of my head recollections, I don't have the data in front of me.

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

NU and UChi are both prestigious law schools where you'll take the same kinds of classes, and a cheaper NU if your goal is Chicago Biglaw is TCR. If gunning for Fed-Clerk or you're open to NYC Biglaw, UChi has an edge, whether that edge is worth the potential scholly $ difference is defensible but I'd still lean toward NU.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 pm

I disagree to some extent with the characterization of negligible difference b/t Northwestern and UChicago wrt to placement in the last few posts. UChi consistently places 10-15% more grads into "prestigious" jobs, which does not just reflect on clerkships or academia - it reflects on biglaw as well, since we are talking about placement power not actual grads in the NLJ250. Basically 3/4 of Chicago kids can anticipate a great outcome, whereas only 3/5 of Northwestern grads can say the same. Almost as importantly, this has big implications for the bottom of the class: there is a real threat of not finding FT/JD-req work in the bottom fifth of the class at NU. This happens at Chicago too, but only to a handful of students at most.

I'm not trashing on Northwestern, I love the school Chicago certainly isn't worth sticker over NU with $$. But to say, "choosing chicago over NU is only justifiable for clerking" and chalking the difference up to an ambiguous 'intellectual' v 'business' distinction isn't entirely accurate

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I disagree to some extent with the characterization of negligible difference b/t Northwestern and UChicago wrt to placement in the last few posts. UChi consistently places 10-15% more grads into "prestigious" jobs, which does not just reflect on clerkships or academia - it reflects on biglaw as well, since we are talking about placement power not actual grads in the NLJ250. Basically 3/4 of Chicago kids can anticipate a great outcome, whereas only 3/5 of Northwestern grads can say the same. Almost as importantly, this has big implications for the bottom of the class: there is a real threat of not finding FT/JD-req work in the bottom fifth of the class at NU. This happens at Chicago too, but only to a handful of students at most.

I'm not trashing on Northwestern, I love the school Chicago certainly isn't worth sticker over NU with $$. But to say, "choosing chicago over NU is only justifiable for clerking" and chalking the difference up to an ambiguous 'intellectual' v 'business' distinction isn't entirely accurate

Yeah I'm with you - I don't agree with the simplified characterization you describe in your second paragraph. But if you look at OP's stats and his likely outcomes, his best bet is going to most likely be NU with $$ vs UChi at sticker. He's basically asking "should I wait and ED UChi next year" and my answer is no, NU is probably going to be a better bet for him given his numbers and goals.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:16 am

lawschool22 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I disagree to some extent with the characterization of negligible difference b/t Northwestern and UChicago wrt to placement in the last few posts. UChi consistently places 10-15% more grads into "prestigious" jobs, which does not just reflect on clerkships or academia - it reflects on biglaw as well, since we are talking about placement power not actual grads in the NLJ250. Basically 3/4 of Chicago kids can anticipate a great outcome, whereas only 3/5 of Northwestern grads can say the same. Almost as importantly, this has big implications for the bottom of the class: there is a real threat of not finding FT/JD-req work in the bottom fifth of the class at NU. This happens at Chicago too, but only to a handful of students at most.

Yeah I'm with you - I don't agree with the simplified characterization you describe in your second paragraph. But if you look at OP's stats and his likely outcomes, his best bet is going to most likely be NU with $$ vs UChi at sticker. He's basically asking "should I wait and ED UChi next year" and my answer is no, NU is probably going to be a better bet for him given his numbers and goals.

Yea, I agree. I suppose my post was somewhat out of context. Y'all are probably spot on re: chicago biglaw.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:14 pm

theramblingfool wrote:That makes a lot of sense. I'm not just concerned with prestige and what that will do for me, though. I am more interested in the actual substance. I want to make the decision that will benefit me the most in terms of strengthening my mind.

As this is all uncharted territory for me, I don't know if UChicago and Northwestern vary to any significant degree in this regard.

I don't want to be "that guy", because it's really tough and highly discouraged (especially on this forum), but you could always end up transferring to Chicago if you're still dead-set on it.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/transfer

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:21 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:

I don't want to be "that guy", because it's really tough and highly discouraged (especially on this forum), but you could always end up transferring to Chicago if you're still dead-set on it.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/transfer

Thanks for the idea, but I'm more keen on the idea of committing to an option and then working with it. If I end up going to Northwestern, that will be the choice I make, and I will be completely focused on that path thereafter. That's just my personality.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:19 pm

I guess it's too late, but you should have ED'd to Northwestern if they still have that full ride thing. chances at Chi RD are probably a coin flip.

Return to “What are my chances?”