Just took LSATs for 3rd time - when to apply??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
paperrev

Just took LSATs for 3rd time - when to apply??

Postby paperrev » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:58 am

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is the right board to post in, but I have a question in terms of when to actually apply to schools. I just took the December LSAT for my third time. My previous stats are cancel/167, and this exam went much better than last time, so I'm hoping to get at least 170+ (*knock on wood*).

My question is when should I actually apply to schools?? Would applying late affect my chances of getting into schools?? Or, assuming that I got 170+ (or lets just assume that I got 168-170, for worst case scenario), should I just wait until I get my scores so I don't get under-judged based on my cancel/167?? How negatively (if at all) would my chances be affected by applying late??

To add some context, I have a 3.93 from an Ivy, and I'm shooting for HYS, CCN. I'm also probably going to apply to Penn and Berkeley as well. Thanks!

Pishee77

Re: Just took LSATs for 3rd time - when to apply??

Postby Pishee77 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Have everything ready so that when you do get your score and you like it you can submit right away. Applying later hurts you a little bit but waiting for a higher LSAT score is 9 times out of 10 worth it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:25 am

Applying late will definitely hurt you at Berkeley and Harvard. It will have no impact on Yale, less on Stanford, some but marginal on Columbia, Chicago, and NYU.

I would suggest for Cal and HLS, apply tomorrow if possible. They won't have your December LSAT, but it takes several weeks to even process the application. Then as soon as they get it, they'll be ready with an Admit/WL/Reject decision. The TCR for those schools used to be before thanksgiving. As you approach xmas, the class definitely begins to fill up - at least applying now, they'll have you in mind sooner.

paperrev

Postby paperrev » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:05 am

I would suggest for Cal and HLS, apply tomorrow if possible. They won't have your December LSAT, but it takes several weeks to even process the application. Then as soon as they get it, they'll be ready with an Admit/WL/Reject decision. The TCR for those schools used to be before thanksgiving. As you approach xmas, the class definitely begins to fill up - at least applying now, they'll have you in mind sooner.

Thanks for the reply! I was actually thinking about doing this, but then I got paranoid that I would automatically get filed in the hypothetical "165-169" pile and thus overlooked when it comes to decisions. Would my scores get automatically updated even after I get "filed" or put on their radar, or is possible to somehow get my application considered earlier without having my lower score affect my decision??

I'm sorry if I sound over-anxious!! I just feel this late in the game, I have do everything perfectly to a tee!

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 am

This chart shows the boosts associated with applying earlier for the last three admissions cycles, using LSN data.

According to the data we have, applying later will definitely hurt you at Harvard, Chicago, Berkeley, and Penn. It definitely won't at Columbia. It might hurt you a little bit at Yale, Stanford, and NYU.

Return to “What are my chances?”