159 / 3.6 / 4.0 my chances in Los Angeles? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kcolleen

New

Re: 159 / 3.6 / 4.0 my chances in Los Angeles?

Post by kcolleen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:14 am

Nova wrote:if youre already capable of scoring between the 96-99th percentiles, what about retaking in Feb/June?

It could get you into UCLA with $$ off the WL this cycle
I'm on the quarter system which royally sucks as an undergrad. I would have to take the October LSAT again. Womp womp.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 am

kcolleen wrote:
gaud wrote:You should retake. Seriously.
Honestly, I can't. I was scoring between 168-174 on PEs, I studied all summer, and I'm a philosophy major with a knack for logic. Nonetheless, I froze up during the test. I suck at standardized tests. I'm afraid if I retake it I will do poorly again and truly cement myself at that percentile :cry:
If it's your only score, you're already "cemented" at that percentage. No one will care about your addendum. I know schools always say that they review everything holistically and look at everyone as unique, but schools only do that in so far as it won't harm their medians. They're looking out for their interests, not yours.

"I suck at standardized tests, but I'm actually really smart" is also one of the most common excuses, I'm sure. It's also probably not true in your case. If you're capable of getting a 4.0 in college, where you presumably took many tests and didn't freeze up, you're more than capable of getting a decent LSAT score. Stop being lazy.

I got into UCLA this cycle with a 3.3. Your GPA is totally fine. What's holding you back is your LSAT.
kcolleen wrote:
Nova wrote:if youre already capable of scoring between the 96-99th percentiles, what about retaking in Feb/June?

It could get you into UCLA with $$ off the WL this cycle
I'm on the quarter system which royally sucks as an undergrad. I would have to take the October LSAT again. Womp womp.
You can't miss a day of class to take the LSAT? Why?

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
You can't miss a day of class to take the LSAT? Why?
It's not that I can't miss class, it's that I don't have anytime to study. I carry a full load (and then some - otherwise I'm not going to have enough units to graduate) and I work to support myself.

I realize now I need to retake the test...or go to Loyola. Oh wells.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 am

I would still retake if I were going to Loyola, FWIW.

Loyola at sticker = awful.
Loyola for free= fine.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 pm

^free piles of shit is still shit

And lol at drumming harder.

Op retake. You scored 10pts lower than your average. You need to mimic test taking conditions or smoke some weed before you take the exam bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm

unodostres wrote:^free piles of shit is still shit

Op retake. You scored 10pts lower than your average. You need to mimic test taking conditions or smoke some weed before you take the exam bro
You're funny.

But seriously though, I currently work for a law firm where some of the partners went to Loyola and people from HYS just lost their jobs (they sucked and the studio is cutting our division across the board, but I digress) wouldn't graduating (almost) debt-free from Loyola/Chapman be better than sitting out this cycle and *hoping* I don't blow it again?

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm

With the right amount of time management, I'm sure you can find time to study for the LSAT and take it ASAP. Many have studied for the LSAT while taking overloads and working full time. It is possible. I promise.

Retake now or wait a year, for sure.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 pm

If you want to do a PhD in philosophy, good for you -- go do that for free somewhere at a great school that will appreciate your UCLA background and your 4.0.

If you want to go to law school, you MUST retake, and you MUST pick up at least a 167.

For you, if you really want to stay at UCLA so badly, do philosophy.

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If you want to do a PhD in philosophy, good for you -- go do that for free somewhere at a great school that will appreciate your UCLA background and your 4.0.

If you want to go to law school, you MUST retake, and you MUST pick up at least a 167.

Wut. No. I want to make money :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 pm

kcolleen wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:If you want to do a PhD in philosophy, good for you -- go do that for free somewhere at a great school that will appreciate your UCLA background and your 4.0.

Getting a good scholarship for a PhD in Philosophy and going into academia would probably have a higher financial yield at this point than paying sticker for law school and being inundated with debt.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:10 pm

kcolleen wrote:

You're funny.

But seriously though, I currently work for a law firm where some of the partners went to Loyola and people from HYS just lost their jobs (they sucked and the studio is cutting our division across the board, but I digress) wouldn't graduating (almost) debt-free from Loyola/Chapman be better than sitting out this cycle and *hoping* I don't blow it again?
Why not retake and go debt-free to USC/LA? it would give you better chances at employment than some TTTT. Unless I skipped over the part where you would get a job at this firm, it's wise not to go to these schools even debt free. I have a few buddies that did it that way and there is nothing out there.

And the people losing jobs as HYS grads don't have much to worry about compared to a Loyola/Chapman/Whittier/SD whatever. Not even on the same scale bro.

and bro.

retake. 3.6/169-170 will get you $$$ or close to it.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:57 pm

kcolleen wrote:

You're funny.

Yes, some people from Loyola succeed and some people from HYS fail. But what's relevant to you is average outcomes.

Also, I wouldn't count on that supposed guaranteed job, unless you have a close family member with the ability to hire you. 3.5 years from now when you graduate law school, there's not going to be anything stopping these people from saying "sorry, things have changed, go look for work somewhere else."

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:18 pm

ltrego wrote:
kcolleen wrote:

Getting a good scholarship for a PhD in Philosophy and going into academia would probably have a higher financial yield at this point than paying sticker for law school and being inundated with debt.
Yeah. Both are bad ideas, really, but if you want to be a college kid for a few more years, free > 250k+ debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 pm

OP, barring URM and or incredible softs, you have NO shot at ED UCLA with a 3.6 and a 159.

<-----EDed UCLA and just got dinged with a 3.6 and a 163.

But that's okay. I'm aiming for that 170+ this Saturday.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:OP, barring URM and or incredible softs, you have NO shot at ED UCLA with a 3.6 and a 159.

Good luck man. Did you submit all apps before your December score, or are you holding out on T14 schools until you get it back?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:OP, barring URM and or incredible softs, you have NO shot at ED UCLA with a 3.6 and a 159.

Good luck man. Did you submit all apps before your December score, or are you holding out on T14 schools until you get it back?
Thanks man.

Submitted apps to schools that I'll get in with my current numbers. Holding out on T14s until I get my new score.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:14 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
kcolleen wrote:

You won't be making much with a degree from Loyola/Chapman/other TTTs in So Cal.
I already have a job after graduation, I just need to go to law school so I can pass the bar.

And Loyola is ranked 68th btw

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 pm

68 is terrible BTW.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Has a hiring partner guaranteed you a position when you graduate? Why do they want you to get a PhD in philosophy for an entertainment law firm?

This stinks of someone who has no idea of what's going on in their own situation.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Retake

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 am

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:17 am

Admission officers are heavily pressured to keep/improve medians. They might get to take 2-3 people below both who aren't URMs. The odds they'll love you so much are rare; maybe if you won the Publitzer for writing their fav book.

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 am

matthewsean85 wrote:Has a hiring partner guaranteed you a position when you graduate?
Yes.
Why do they want you to get a PhD in philosophy for an entertainment law firm?
Where did you read that??
This stinks of someone who has no idea of what's going on in their own situation.
^^this stinks of someone who cannot parse relevant information. good day sir.
Last edited by kcolleen on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

kcolleen

New

Post by kcolleen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:19 am

HYSenberg wrote:68 is terrible BTW.
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, Loyola is not the death sentence you seem to think it is BTW

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”