Reverse Splitter...Help on Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
altoline115

Reverse Splitter...Help on Chances?

Postby altoline115 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm

My Stats are: LSAT 164 (I wish I'd had more time to study, didn't between full time work/interning)

GPA LSAC Adjusted: 3.96 (Double Major)

I consider my softs to be pretty decent, with a number of academic conferences, Student Body Vice-President, research paper awards, and honors like Dean's List and Who's Who.

I'm in review at:
William and Mary
UVA
Alabama
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida

And I'm considering between Indiana and UNC...any thoughts on that would be great too.
Also, Vanderbilt and Duke have sent me fee waivers, which is confusing to me. Are they just looking to boost their application/rejection rate, or do I actually have a chance?

Straw_Mandible

Re: Reverse Splitter...Help on Chances?

Postby Straw_Mandible » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Classic TLS answer, but it merits repetition:

It would be such a tragedy if you didn't retake. 6 more points and you have a shot at HYS. Do you really need to apply this cycle?

ETA: "Tragedy" is a bit strong, but you get the point.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm

abaker92 wrote:My Stats are: LSAT 164 (I wish I'd had more time to study, didn't between full time work/interning)

GPA LSAC Adjusted: 3.96 (Double Major)

I consider my softs to be pretty decent, with a number of academic conferences, Student Body Vice-President, research paper awards, and honors like Dean's List and Who's Who.

I'm in review at:
William and Mary
UVA
Alabama
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida

And I'm considering between Indiana and UNC...any thoughts on that would be great too.
Also, Vanderbilt and Duke have sent me fee waivers, which is confusing to me. Are they just looking to boost their application/rejection rate, or do I actually have a chance?

You'll get in to most of the schools you listed, UVA is more of a reach. I saw someone with similar stats to yours get into Duke ED, so that's something to consider.

Taking a year off to work and retake should also be considered.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 pm

If you already regret not studying enough, you're going to be kicking yourself in a few years when you realize you passed up Harvard Law / a free T14 JD.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Retake for YHS or a savings of $180K at the beginning of repayment.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Retake, get a 170+, and enjoy HYS.

altoline115

Postby altoline115 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I honestly hadn't even considered waiting a cycle to retake. I'm getting married next July so the plan has been to just move immediately following that and begin school. At this point, all my applications are in review, so I'm not really sure how I would need to proceed. I think I came into this process uncharacteristically naive, and didn't realize how complicated admissions would be. I studied for 2 weeks and my highest PT was a 168, and I felt great about the October test, so I was confused to see the drop. I just don't know how much better I would do a second time. Would it be worth it to try a retake in February, or is that simply too late?

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:44 pm

abaker92 wrote:I honestly hadn't even considered waiting a cycle to retake. I'm getting married next July so the plan has been to just move immediately following that and begin school. At this point, all my applications are in review, so I'm not really sure how I would need to proceed. I think I came into this process uncharacteristically naive, and didn't realize how complicated admissions would be. I studied for 2 weeks and my highest PT was a 168, and I felt great about the October test, so I was confused to see the drop. I just don't know how much better I would do a second time. Would it be worth it to try a retake in February, or is that simply too late?

You studied 2 weeks wtf....and got a 164....pretty impressive in my opinion lol

Can you imagine what studying for 2 months could do? or 6 (June)?

Retake is absolutely the credited response here. Good luck

chill

Postby chill » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 pm

abaker92 wrote:I honestly hadn't even considered waiting a cycle to retake. I'm getting married next July so the plan has been to just move immediately following that and begin school. At this point, all my applications are in review, so I'm not really sure how I would need to proceed. I think I came into this process uncharacteristically naive, and didn't realize how complicated admissions would be. I studied for 2 weeks and my highest PT was a 168, and I felt great about the October test, so I was confused to see the drop. I just don't know how much better I would do a second time. Would it be worth it to try a retake in February, or is that simply too late?

Okay, you have to retake. You have very high scoring potential, and with proper study you should be able to get a score that will allow you to choose between (1) one or more of YHS and (2) other T14 schools with a full-tuition scholarship. This is easily worth the one-year delay. Total no-brainer.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 pm

chill wrote:
Bajam wrote:

You studied 2 weeks wtf....and got a 164....pretty impressive in my opinion lol

Can you imagine what studying for 2 months could do? or 6 (June)?

Retake is absolutely the credited response here. Good luck

FWIW, OP, I went from a diagnostic of 164 to a 168 after 2 weeks of studying to a 179 after 4 months of studying. Please don't waste your GPA.

Same. Diagnostic of 163, 170 PT after 2 weeks of study, 176 on test day after 3 months of study. Ya gotta retake, ya just gotta.

Philafaler

Postby Philafaler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:59 am

Last edited by Philafaler on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:06 pm

If UVA is your top choice I know someone who was admitted last cycle with 164/3.85. Therefore, I think you'll be okay. But everyone is right..you only studied two weeks and got a 164! You have potential to go to HYS or UVA full ride. I'm sure your fiance will be happy and you can spend more $$$ on the wedding instead. :D

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Retake for YHS or a savings of $180K at the beginning of repayment.

This needs to be echoed. a few months of studying could be worth this kind of coin.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:14 pm

abaker92 wrote:I studied for 2 weeks and my highest PT was a 168

Hey asshole, I studied for two years and if I get an official 168 this Saturday, I'd be pretty happy.

You have a 3.96 dude.

Retake.

Enjoy HYS.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:07 am

I dont even need to post in this thread I guess because all the bases seem to be covered. So yea. Retake that LSAT. Also, mazel tov.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Retake OP. Plz. It took me six months to go from 149 diag to 168 in Oct. Retaking tomorrow. In your case, do you realize the 180 potential you have in such a short timeframe? Such potential takes people like me and others many months to cultivate, but odds are you could get that within two months if it took you two weeks for 168.

Return to “What are my chances?”