3.0 170, Need advice

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
czm2100

3.0 170, Need advice

Postby czm2100 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:39 am

Hi everyone, I hoping you all can give me some much-needed advice.

I graduated with a B.A. in journalism from a large public university last summer, and I'm wondering what you guys might think about my chances in law school. I realize my GPA is pretty low, but it's mostly all because of a mistakes I made during my freshman year: I switched majors from computer science after I got three straight Cs in math classes, and then withdrew from calculus when it was obvious I was going to get a D; this gave me a W on my transcript and I have another W from when I transferred between two classes. After that, I switched to writing and averaged a 3.2 within my major.

I spoke with an admissions counselor at a 'law school career fair'-type thing who told me that many schools would let me add an addendum to my application where I could explain my GPA; do most schools allow this, or was it something you guys havent heard of before?

I also have internship expeience working at a large metropolitan weekly newspaper, have published writing samples and speak an intermediate level of Arabic.

Anyway, I took the LSAT and got a 170. I would really like to go to either a school in Oregon, Washington or California; do you think my chances are good at the major ones like UW? I realize I'm probibly out of the T-14 league already, but would my internship and writing experience help me any on my application? Will my Ws and math-related Cs screw me out of the good schools?

I guess I should also ask: Would it be realistic/possible that I could trasfer from a T2 to T-14 if I managed a very high law-school GPA?

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question.
Last edited by czm2100 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

hcrimson2014

Re: 3.0 170, Need advice

Postby hcrimson2014 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 am

with a 170 you will probably get at least one t14 sticker and you should get into uw without any major deficit in your apps.

PDaddy

Re: 3.0 170, Need advice

Postby PDaddy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:38 am

You have a better shot at the T-14 than you think.

I'd shoot for all but HYS. You never know. That 170 is strong, and if your softs are up-to-par, you could land at Duke, UVA, Cornell, or even Michigan.

Never attend a school from which you wouldn't be happy graduating. Remember that your class will be full of both underachievers and overachievers, and they all have one thing in common: they want to kick your ass!

This, you cannot count on achieving a certain GPA.

How does the saying go? Approximately 100% of the students in your class believe they will be in the top-10%, and 90% of them are guaranteed to be disappointed.

Attend a school you truly like, and plan on being there for three years. If you wind up kicking ass, deal with it once it happens.

Return to “What are my chances?”