3.9 GPA and 161 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ohgodwhy

3.9 GPA and 161 LSAT

Postby ohgodwhy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:45 pm

What are my chances at the following schools?

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

I have studied for the LSAT for about a year and a half now, going from a 137 to around a 161. I think I'm at the point where it is mentally impossible for me to score any higher, save for when the stars align.

Thanks guys.

Brettanomyces

Re: 3.9 GPA and 161 LSAT

Postby Brettanomyces » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

ohgodwhy wrote:What are my chances at the following schools?

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

I have studied for the LSAT for about a year and a half now, going from a 137 to around a 161. I think I'm at the point where it is mentally impossible for me to score any higher, save for when the stars align.

Thanks guys.

Retake and hope the stars align.

That GPA is too pretty to waste.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 am

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

Thanks guys.

Congrats on your improvement! Thats really impressive. Still, simply put, your ROI going to law school with a 3.9/161 is negative and will remain negative until you increase your score to over 167ish. You may get into these schools, but at near sticker. I would use the stellar grades to get a great job and work on increasing your score in the meantime. Otherwise, choose one market (you have 3 noted in that list) where you have ties and go to the most affordable option

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 am

Are you a URM by any chance?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 am

jbagelboy wrote:

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

Thanks guys.

Congrats on your improvement! Thats really impressive. Still, simply put, your ROI going to law school with a 3.9/161 is negative and will remain negative until you increase your score to over 167ish. You may get into these schools, but at near sticker. I would use the stellar grades to get a great job and work on increasing your score in the meantime. Otherwise, choose one market (you have 3 noted in that list) where you have ties and go to the most affordable option

Average ROI you mean, OP may have a positive ROI out of any school.

EZ as AsDf

Postby EZ as AsDf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 am

Is this a joke? Is this what they call "trolling"? Did you go to a good university and did you take difficult courses?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:03 am

EZ as AsDf wrote:Is this a joke? Is this what they call "trolling"? Did you go to a good university and did you take difficult courses?

go to hell fucknut.

ohgodwhy

Postby ohgodwhy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 am

jbagelboy wrote:

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

Thanks guys.

Thanks for this response, and the very realistic suggestions! What do you mean by negative ROI?

To the other poster: no I'm not URM by any stretch.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 am

ROI usually means return on investment.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 am

By negative ROI, I mean with a 3.9 GPA your post-BA options are superior to your post-JD options out of these schools with the amount of debt you'd have from them, on average (yes Law Sauce.) As an example, you could make $60,000 now assuming your bachelors is accredited and from a known school with some halfway decent recruitment services. Your ROI for even a best case scenario here like UCLA w/ $10K (are you in-state?) is gonna be like [(.1)(0)+(.1)(30,000)+(.35)(150000)^1.03+(.45)(50,000)]*5 - 220,000 - 3(60,000)^1.03< 0. (This is VERY rough so dont apply this exact rubric, but the idea is expected value - lost opportunity over a fixed number of years).

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- USC
- GWU
- Boston University
- Boston College

Thanks guys.

Average ROI you mean, OP may have a positive ROI out of any school.

Expected ROI, actually, not average. And that's implied when talking about future events...

Return to “What are my chances?”