What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Superstriker90
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:05 pm

What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby Superstriker90 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am interested in going to an American law school and would like some advice. I am 22 years old, Canadian, and have a BA (Hons., 3.84 GPA) in history and political science from the University of Toronto (Best school in Canada, global top 20) and an MPhil degree in Modern European History from the University of Cambridge (Best school in UK, global top 5, sometimes number 1). I won numerous academic awards at undergraduate level and a fellowship to go to Cambridge. I'm currently studying for the June 2014 LSAT and would like to apply in September 2014. The schools I have on my list are Columbia, Yale, Harvard, NYU, and the University of Toronto. Do you think if I hit a 170 on my LSAT I would have a good shot at getting into those schools? Do I have realistic expectations? I only ask because I am very worried about the LSAT as I have never done a standardized test before and just hope I do not ruin my fairly good academic record with a bad LSAT.

Thanks!

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby Trout et al » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:43 pm

You need probably a 172+ to be in good shape for CLS/NYU and a 174+ to be in good shape for HYS. Your academic background is good enough to where it won't work against you but I'd be surprised if it made a positive difference at these schools. Toronto is obviously not an American LS so I'm not sure why you threw it in your list.

Best of luck.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm

You need to hit medians to have a good chance

Superstriker90
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby Superstriker90 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Trout et al wrote:You need probably a 172+ to be in good shape for CLS/NYU and a 174+ to be in good shape for HYS. Your academic background is good enough to where it won't work against you but I'd be surprised if it made a positive difference at these schools. Toronto is obviously not an American LS so I'm not sure why you threw it in your list.

Best of luck.


Thank you.

hcrimson2014
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby hcrimson2014 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 am

As a Mcgill student, I have to dispel the nefarious trolling of Toronto being the best Canadian school :P

hcrimson2014
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby hcrimson2014 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:27 am

Trout et al wrote:You need probably a 170+ to be in good shape for CLS/NYU and a 172+to be in good shape for HYS. (given the declining applications)Your academic background is good enough to where it won't work against you but I'd be surprised if it made a positive difference at these schools. Toronto is obviously not an American LS so I'm not sure why you threw it in your list.

Best of luck.

User avatar
NYC2012
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Superstriker90 wrote:from the University of Toronto (Best school in Canada, global top 20) and an MPhil degree in Modern European History from the University of Cambridge (Best school in UK, global top 5, sometimes number 1).

Thanks!


:roll:

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby midwest17 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:18 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
Superstriker90 wrote:from the University of Toronto (Best school in Canada, global top 20) and an MPhil degree in Modern European History from the University of Cambridge (Best school in UK, global top 5, sometimes number 1).

Thanks!


:roll:

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: What are my chances/Managing my Expectations

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 am

midwest17 wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:
Superstriker90 wrote:from the University of Toronto (Best school in Canada, global top 20) and an MPhil degree in Modern European History from the University of Cambridge (Best school in UK, global top 5, sometimes number 1).

Thanks!


:roll:




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest