U of Tenn - 3.18/164 (June of 2012)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
memphisgriz

U of Tenn - 3.18/164 (June of 2012)

Postby memphisgriz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 am

just found this website! Applied to Tennessee last friday....nothing yet. Graduated from MTSU in 2010 and have been back home working for 45,000/yr as security for the mall in Jackson. DO you all think I have a good shot at UT? It's the only school I've applied to so far and the only one I've considered really.

BigZuck

Re: U of Tenn - 3.18/164 (June of 2012)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 am

memphisgriz wrote:just found this website! Applied to Tennessee last friday....nothing yet. Graduated from MTSU in 2010 and have been back home working for 45,000/yr as security for the mall in Jackson. DO you all think I have a good shot at UT? It's the only school I've applied to so far and the only one I've considered really.

http://www.mylsn.info will tell you your chances

Unless they give you a very big scholarship (might be doubtful with your gpa but you never know) I would be inclined to not attend. You have a good job right now and the most likely outcome at that school is either getting a lawyer job that pays about what you're making now, or no lawyer job at all. Paying lots of money and spending three years of your life to end up back in the same place you're in (or worse) isn't a good thing. Here are their job statistics: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tennessee

Good luck, this site has a ton of great resources.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm

memphisgriz wrote:just found this website! Applied to Tennessee last friday....nothing yet. Graduated from MTSU in 2010 and have been back home working for 45,000/yr as security for the mall in Jackson. DO you all think I have a good shot at UT? It's the only school I've applied to so far and the only one I've considered really.

You'll likely get into UT, but I would probably just keep your job. Like someone else said, if you get a legal job at all, it will be making around that salary and then you'll have a lot of debt. You probably have about a ~5% chance of pulling in a high paying job from UT, but I wouldn't bank on that.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 am

Why do you want to go to law school?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am

deadpanic wrote:

You'll likely get into UT, but I would probably just keep your job. Like someone else said, if you get a legal job at all, it will be making around that salary and then you'll have a lot of debt. You probably have about a ~5% chance of pulling in a high paying job from UT, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Just playing devil's advocate, but a legal job, even if it started out at 45k a year, has a lot more growth potential than a mall security job. 45k a year is probably about the most you can ever expect to make as mall security. At least a lawyer making 45k a year can hope to see his income increase as he gains experience. It's not like starting salaries are etched in stone.

But in general, yeah, I would avoid a place like UT unless they give you a substantial scholarship. Starting out at 45k is one thing. Starting out at 45k under six figure debt is another.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Just playing devil's advocate, but a legal job, even if it started out at 45k a year, has a lot more growth potential than a mall security job. 45k a year is probably about the most you can ever expect to make as mall security. At least a lawyer making 45k a year can hope to see his income increase as he gains experience. It's not like starting salaries are etched in stone.

But in general, yeah, I would avoid a place like UT unless they give you a substantial scholarship. Starting out at 45k is one thing. Starting out at 45k under six figure debt is another.

100% credited.

memphisgriz

Postby memphisgriz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey everyone! still nothing new from the admissions office, but thats fine with me. I appreciate yalls comments about avoiding the MASSIVE DEBT, and trust me when I say I would never just take on loans like crazy since only paying off my college loans not that long ago. Basically, my girlfriend and I have been living together for going on 3 years and at some point I plan on marrying her (she is older and has a son, by the way), but her parents have discretely expressed that they think one of us should get a graduate degree (she cuts hair, but loves her job). Her dad, a longtime attorney in the insurance business suggested applying to law, and paid for the LSAT and all that. I was more into the idea earlier in the year, but am not dead set on it at this point. I have been looking at other graduate programs in the area but havent applied to any yet. My future father-in-law has given me some indication that he would be willing to help pay for law school (to what degree I do not know, but he is very active in the county democratic party as well so maybe job opportunities there?) and so I guess I'll have to just wait to hear back from Tennessee and level with him. I'm not going to go if I have to finance a large amount, know what I mean? But, dont get me wrong, I am intrigued by it, I just do not have a specific goal in mind for a law degree.

Whoever mentioned security guard pay ceiling, thats about right. I had to pull a bit of overtime, and do some other one off work around the area to make 45k. gf said absolutely no to law enforcement on several occasions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Might be time to figure out your own path in life/make your own decisions

I don't mean that to sound harsh but I don't think it's a good idea to go to law school just because your girlfriend's parents hinted (or passive aggressively ordered? I can't tell) that you should go to law school. Going because your own parents want you to go is a destructive thing we see all the time on these boards but this is another level.

If he wants to pay for it and you're cool with never actually getting a job as a lawyer or getting a job that pays about the same as your current gig but with potentially longer hours and much more stress then go for it I guess.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Have you thrown an app to Memphis? I'm not sure if they give out big scholarships (and if they don't, don't bother), but if you want to work in West TN and can go for free (other than living expenses), that is possibly a better option. In general, UT is considered a better school in Middle or East TN, but for West TN, from my experience, no one will really care that you went to Memphis over UT. If the expenses are nearly the same, just choose Tennessee.

Return to “What are my chances?”