Long Time Lurker Needs Help - Poll - 3.3/176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What should I do?

Keep U Chicago ED
79%
Withdraw U Chicago ED
21%

Total votes: 24

hitom123

Long Time Lurker Needs Help - Poll - 3.3/176

Postby hitom123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Long time reader here... need help making a decision... thanks all in advance

3.3 / 176

Outside of HYS, I would like to attend U of Chicago more than any other school. I ED'd there. Have not heard back yet.

I've talked to a couple knowledgeable friends who seem to think that my chances at HYS could be reasonably good (not zero) this cycle.

Should I withdraw the U of Chicago ED and hope for HYS?

Are my chances good at U of Chicago RD? ( I was under the impression that it was 50/50 ish)

One more factor that is relevant: I'm fortunate enough to have my family paying all tuition. Would like to help them out and keep tuition down but debt is not a primary factor for me.

Also 3 years WE.

nonexpostfacto

Re: Long Time Lurker Needs Help - Poll - 3.3/176

Postby nonexpostfacto » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm

3.3 is a little low for UChicago.

http://mylsn.info/wk2bdo

I think that 50% in RD is too optimistic, and your odds at HYS are significantly lower.

If money is not a factor and University of Chicago is your dream school, I would consider keeping the ED, just to see what happens. But be prepared to send applications to Columbia/NYU on down, if UChicago does not turn out well.

Edit: Why are you specifically interested in UofC? Your numbers and work experience make you a great candidate for Northwestern... Possibly even a scholarship there, which is appealing, even if your parents are willing to pay.

hitom123

Postby hitom123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Also interested in Northwestern. Would prefer Chi for a few reasons but suffice to say that I would choose UChi over NU with a 30k scholarship.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

hitom123 wrote: debt is not a primary factor for me.

It's your dream school, your folks are well off enough to pay tution...

YOLO

hitom123

Postby hitom123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:51 pm

It would be my top choice save for HYS. Not sure id call it my "dream school"

Basically what I'm getting at is there ANY chance at HYS? If not, I might as well ED Chicago.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:09 pm

No chance at HYS unless you are a URM. ED to your heart's content.

doing_it_in_a_car

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:15 pm

nonexpostfacto wrote:3.3 is a little low for UChicago.

I think that 50% in RD is too optimistic, and your odds at HYS are significantly lower.

If money is not a factor and University of Chicago is your dream school, I would consider keeping the ED, just to see what happens. But be prepared to send applications to Columbia/NYU on down, if UChicago does not turn out well.

Edit: Why are you specifically interested in UofC? Your numbers and work experience make you a great candidate for Northwestern... Possibly even a scholarship there, which is appealing, even if your parents are willing to pay.

3.3 is not low for UChicago. Your range was too small and it excluded ED, when OP's app is ED. Granted, the sample size is small, but the data still shows that Chicago gives a huge ED boost.

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=218894

OP - as you can see - your chances RD are much lower than 50/50. check out the actual LSN page to see the list of applicants and compare. ED is pretty much the only way for you to get into Chicago.

If debt's not a problem, there's no need to look at Northwestern for money, when Chicago places better, especially ITE. OP, keep the ED and relax, you should be fine.

nonexpostfacto

Postby nonexpostfacto » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:03 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:
nonexpostfacto wrote:3.3 is a little low for UChicago.

3.3 is not low for UChicago. Your range was too small and it excluded ED, when OP's app is ED. Granted, the sample size is small, but the data still shows that Chicago gives a huge ED boost.

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=218894

OP - as you can see - your chances RD are much lower than 50/50. check out the actual LSN page to see the list of applicants and compare. ED is pretty much the only way for you to get into Chicago.

If debt's not a problem, there's no need to look at Northwestern for money, when Chicago places better, especially ITE. OP, keep the ED and relax, you should be fine.

Car is right–You have a much better shot at ED. I should have been more clear. I meant that the 3.3 is too low to give you a solid shot at RD.

Don't fret too much OP. Keep the ED.

Return to “What are my chances?”