Chances at UPenn?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
theoutpostmhs

Chances at UPenn?

Postby theoutpostmhs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Just wanted to get your opinions on my chances at UPenn

GPA - 3.73
LSAT One - 167, LSAT Two - 170

Don't have any great softs, straight out of undergrad at NYU and just have a few internships (DA's office, Attorney General's office) on my resume, a few volunteer activities, and I was published in an academic journal. not a URM - I'm South Asian, but didn't indicate race on my application.

Ti Malice

Re: Chances at UPenn?

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:45 am

You definitely have the numbers for Penn, but you'll need to write a compelling "Why Penn?" essay to convince them that you'll actually attend if admitted. Otherwise, you'll probably get WL'd. They're going to think you'll want to attend NYU. (And would you? Your chances at NYU would have been weak three cycles ago, but you're basically a lock these days with those numbers.)

theoutpostmhs

Postby theoutpostmhs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:You definitely have the numbers for Penn, but you'll need to write a compelling "Why Penn?" essay to convince them that you'll actually attend if admitted. Otherwise, you'll probably get WL'd. They're going to think you'll want to attend NYU. (And would you? Your chances at NYU would have been weak three cycles ago, but you're basically a lock these days with those numbers.)

Thanks for your response! I applied to NYU, but I don't particularly want to go there. UPenn is my second choice after Columbia which seems like a huge reach for me, so it's my first realistic choice. I wrote a Why Penn essay but I don't know how compelling it is - I basically touched on some programs, a particular professor I would like to work with, and one of their multidisciplinary programs I hope to pursue. Will this cut it?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm

You have a very good shot at Penn, and good thing you wrote a Why Penn. Why do you prefer Penn to NYU?

theoutpostmhs

Postby theoutpostmhs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm

scotth724 wrote:You have a very good shot at Penn, and good thing you wrote a Why Penn. Why do you prefer Penn to NYU?

Not sure if this is a good enough reason, but I've lived in NY my whole life and attended NYU for undergrad, and just want to get out and see something new.

Do you think I would be doing a disservice to myself if I got into both and went to Penn?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote:
scotth724 wrote:You have a very good shot at Penn, and good thing you wrote a Why Penn. Why do you prefer Penn to NYU?

Not sure if this is a good enough reason, but I've lived in NY my whole life and attended NYU for undergrad, and just want to get out and see something new.

Do you think I would be doing a disservice to myself if I got into both and went to Penn?

That's understandable. And no I don't think so, NYU has a debatable edge in biglaw, specifically in the V10, but both a great and basically equal options. You obviously would save a little in regards to COL in Philly. What are your career goals?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I would suggest if you have a free place to live in NYC (family home, ect.) and get into NYU, unless you are spectacularly wealthy or get a massive scholarship from Penn, it doesnt make sense to go an additional $60K in CoL moving to Philly for 3 yrs just to move back to new york to practice after graduation.

As for wanting to leave NYC, if Columbia is your top choice that doesnt appear to be a high priority.

I expect an intense choosing thread in the spring! Good luck

theoutpostmhs

Postby theoutpostmhs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm

scotth724 wrote:
theoutpostmhs wrote:

That's understandable. And no I don't think so, NYU has a debatable edge in biglaw, specifically in the V10, but both a great and basically equal options. You obviously would save a little in regards to COL in Philly. What are your career goals?

I'm hoping to go into prosecution, but that may change. 99% sure I want to do public service law though and probably in government.

I'm from the suburbs so I don't have a place to stay in the city and would have to get an apt, and NYC is very expensive. Columbia is in a different part of town, and from what I've heard it's a much different environment than NYU. It would be a change, however slight.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote:I'm from the suburbs so I don't have a place to stay in the city and would have to get an apt, and NYC is very expensive. Columbia is in a different part of town, and from what I've heard it's a much different environment than NYU. It would be a change, however slight.

Well with all of this in mind, I wouldn't discount NYU so quickly, as they're the most PI-minded out of these three schools. Either way just apply to all of them and worry about making a decision when you get in and see the COA for each. Good luck, you'll have a great cycle!

Return to “What are my chances?”