167/2.7 Electrical Engineering Undergrad with 4.0 grad

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thompjr

167/2.7 Electrical Engineering Undergrad with 4.0 grad

Postby thompjr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

I realize American schools don't consider anything really but your undergraduate gpa, but I also heard some care more about an engineering undergrad than Canadian schools.
My undergrad in electrical engineering gave me a 2.7 gpa and my only LSAT is a 167. I got a 4.0 in graduate school, though I know most won't count this.
Any idea of how high in the rankings I could hope to get an offer from in the top 50 schools? Any schools known to care more about engineering undergrads? Also are scholarships out of the questions in top 50 schools?

Thanks

twenty

Re: 167/2.7 Electrical Engineering Undergrad with 4.0 grad

Postby twenty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

No one will care at all about your graduate GPA. With your numbers, don't go to law school in the US.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:38 pm

thompjr wrote:I realize American schools don't consider anything really but your undergraduate gpa, but I also heard some care more about an engineering undergrad than Canadian schools.
My undergrad in electrical engineering gave me a 2.7 gpa and my only LSAT is a 167. I got a 4.0 in graduate school, though I know most won't count this.
Any idea of how high in the rankings I could hope to get an offer from in the top 50 schools? Any schools known to care more about engineering undergrads? Also are scholarships out of the questions in top 50 schools?

Thanks

Even with those, you've got some good T50 opportunities. EE will also give you a bump above your GPA which depending on the school , could put you on a level with about a 3.1-3.3 (not that they necessarily do it that way, but that's the way it works out). I can't speak to most schools, and you can go to mylsn for that stuff, but even with those numbers from my experience, you should get at least $24k from SMU.

Grad school 4.0 doesn't really help much except to give you empirical evidence to use in both your personal statement and an academic addendum. "EE made for a rough start to college, but my capacity for academic achievement in tough classes matured over time as evidenced by my performance in [pick a late semester or two from undergrad where you did well, even if you have to omit one outlier class in describing your performance then] and in my graduate program where I had a 4.0." Keep the addendum short.

thompjr

Postby thompjr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks a lot for the honest and very helpful advice. Cheers

Return to “What are my chances?”