159/2.9 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
phaynes1

New

159/2.9

Post by phaynes1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I know, I know...."Awful GPA....retake....etc."

While still terrible due to just general laziness my first year and a half, my gpa did have a notable upward trend the final four semesters. I have residency in florida but have also previously lived in the upper-midwest, the northeast and the pacific northwest, and would be fine with any of those regions, as well as the southeast.

I am two years removed from undergrad and have had decent work experience and good recommendations from both employers and professors. I don't have any pipe dreams of going to T14, so I guess I'm curious what the best schools are that I have a relatively good shot of getting into.

I'm interested mainly in Criminal or International Law, though the Sports Law program at Marquette is also intriguing, despite having heard a variety of opinions on it.

Thanks for any and all the help you guys provide!

sublime

Diamond

Re: 159/2.9

Post by sublime » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 pm

phaynes1

New

Post by phaynes1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Okay...that being said, what are the opinions of Marquette, Stetson, Case and other schools I at least have a moderate chance of getting into?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 pm

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 am

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm

sublime wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
phaynes1 wrote:Okay...that being said, what are the opinions of Marquette, Stetson, Case and other schools I at least have a moderate chance of getting into?
I highly doubt a single person on here will say anything positive about those schools you mentioned. It's not your fault, it's ours. See, we just recommend becoming a lawyer only if you'll be able to actually become a lawyer. Also, law school transparency.

Retake or don't go.

This. Not to pile on, but with your GPA, you probably need to raise your LSAT by approx. 10 points before you have a viable option.

ETA: Maybe less for FSU/UF at sticker, but I am in the minority here, I believe that consider those schools ok choices at that price. I also have no idea how they treat "splitters"
If you're looking at Stetson, it actually has a BETTER employment score on LST than UF as does Miami which may be an option for you also but you may have a shot at some $$ at Stetson.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:52 pm

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am

Young Marino wrote:
sublime wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
phaynes1 wrote:Okay...that being said, what are the opinions of Marquette, Stetson, Case and other schools I at least have a moderate chance of getting into?
I highly doubt a single person on here will say anything positive about those schools you mentioned. It's not your fault, it's ours. See, we just recommend becoming a lawyer only if you'll be able to actually become a lawyer. Also, law school transparency.

Retake or don't go.

This. Not to pile on, but with your GPA, you probably need to raise your LSAT by approx. 10 points before you have a viable option.

ETA: Maybe less for FSU/UF at sticker, but I am in the minority here, I believe that consider those schools ok choices at that price. I also have no idea how they treat "splitters"
If you're looking at Stetson, it actually has a BETTER employment score on LST than UF as does Miami which may be an option for you also but you may have a shot at some $$ at Stetson.
The problem is if you get a job out of Stetson, it isn't going to be one that pays well enough to pay off your debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:02 am

phaynes1 wrote: I'm interested mainly in Criminal or International Law, though the Sports Law program at Marquette is also intriguing, despite having heard a variety of opinions on it.
"Sports law" is not a field of law. It's a shiny made up buzzphrase used to make law sound cool and exciting to lemmings. If you work in sports as a lawyer you're doing normal boring lawyer sh!t just in a sports context. Contracts, intellectual property, etc. All the schools you listed are garbage. I don't think law school is for you, OP.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:22 am

Young Marino wrote:
sublime wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:

Retake or don't go.

I didn't believe you about UF's LST. I can't believe it is below Stetson. Pretty amazing. I guess based on cost, UF is still far superior, but just wow.

theoutpostmhs

Bronze

Post by theoutpostmhs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Your chances at employment from any law school you can get into with your current numbers is very low. Your best bet is to retake, or I wouldn't suggest going to law school. Check LST.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 pm

sublime wrote:
kwais wrote:
I didn't believe you about UF's LST. I can't believe it is below Stetson. Pretty amazing. I guess based on cost, UF is still far superior, but just wow.
Yea, it is crazy. I think that it helps that Stetson pretty much has two markets that it is the only decent school close to (Tampa and Orlando), whereas UF is in the middle of nowhere. IIRC, UF's employment/underemployment scores are comparable to Nova Southeastern, which is also really insane.
Thing is, it seems like UF places well throughout FL while Stetson and Miami both own their respective markets which probably the biggest markets in FL and Nova is actually a pretty strong regional. Living in South FL my whole life I can tell you that it's probably the 2nd best school in terms of placement throughout South Florida behind Miami

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 pm

If you cannot break 160, then you do not deserve to go to law school. I takes a certain level of work or intelligence or both. If you can't prove that you are smart enough or will work hard enough to achieve, then you do not deserve to go (to me).

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:If you cannot break 160, then you do not deserve to go to law school. I takes a certain level of work or intelligence or both. If you can't prove that you are smart enough or will work hard enough to achieve, then you do not deserve to go (to me).
Yeah, this is dumb.

It may not be a good idea for many people with below 160 to attend law school (though even that is an oversimplification). But it has nothing to do with "deserving" to go.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:16 pm

A Day in the Life of a sports lawyer:

8:30: Wake up in king-size bed to full view of Miami skyline. Soak in outdoor Jacuzzi while reviewing client’s latest endorsement deal on your iPad.

9:30: Call pasty lawyer for the sports drink company. Talk about how much client enjoys Powerade. Throw out a seven-figure number. Lawyer meekly assents.

10:00: Roll through town in brand-new Gallardo (a gift from an NASCAR driver who shall not be named). Take a call from the distraught parents of a first-round draft pick. In flyover country twang, they explain their son’s in a little trouble with the police.

10:15: Arrive at your downtown office. There’s white marble and a two-story fountain in the lobby. Ask cute, perky assistant with dirty blonde hair to get you the name of a local judge. Assistant wonders why you’re asking her to get local judge’s number, since in 2017 everyone has the numbers in their GoogleGlass.

11:00: Call with local judge who happens to be a season ticket holder. After you explain the situation, he signs an order for your client’s release as long as you keep him away from farm animals.

12:30: Lunch with Rival sports lawyer where you discuss competing views on the profession. He thinks clients are just meat to be grinded out. You think each client is a special snowflake.

2:00: Check fantasy sports league. You’re number one. Fondly reminisce how being champ of your fantasy football league in college and leading your team to victory at the UVA softball tournament B division (two years in a row!) first brought you to the attention of Big Time Sports Law Firm.

3:45: Trip to Dolphins training camp to negotiate new contract. Although you switched to soccer in elementary school because your Mom said “tackle football” was too dangerous, you can tell just from watching a few minutes of practice that your client’s an integral part of the team’s offensive scheme. This and a withering barrage of statistics wring another $3 million out of the GM.

5:00: Call with frantic GMs from three different MLB teams. There’s a six player trade they need done before the trade deadline at midnight. You think this rush of adrenaline must be what it’s like to pitch game 7 on three days of rest. You do a line of coke because Miami.

9:30: Deal of the century is done. Everyone calls you with congrats. Sexy blonde ESPN correspondent calls you to do a private interview.

10:00: Arrive at South Beach club wearing sharp suit with open collar. Walk past stunned club goers. Table in the VIP section with various professional athletes. They express admiration at what you do.

11:35: Spot a former Heat dancer who you helped secure a modeling contract at favorable terms. She glides over to you, looks deeply into your eyes, and whispers seductively “take advantage of three year federal deferment programs by calling us at 1-800-SHW-MUNY.”

8:45 AM: Wake up in a cold sweat with an unpaid student loan bill stuck to your forehead. You have an hour to get to Pinecrest to cover a $350 home closing. Before leaving, you check your fantasy sports standings. You’re third, behind a junior DA and the guy who picks players based on how many endorsement deals they have.

DISCLAIMER: Since some 0L is actually going to see this and think it’s only a “slight” exaggeration, this is more bullshit than A Million Little Pieces. You will not become a sports lawyer unless you were a D1 college athlete and have actual connections with potential clients, or you can go to a T13 and get a job at Proskauer. Notice that being intermural volleyball champ in college or knowing like, seriously everything, fucking everything about college football are not either of those categories. When your law school says that they are offering a “Sports Law” concentration, that simply means there are enough idiots (like you) who think that saying they studied sports law is going to give them a leg up in a field that does not exist.

Since OP previously mentioned international law: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=214158
Last edited by timbs4339 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Opinions are that you should retake or not go. These schools are not worth it at the prices you'll pay.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Timbs for mod.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:50 pm

timbs4339 wrote:A Day in the Life of a Sports Lawyer:

8:30: Wake up in king-size bed to full view of Miami skyline. Soak in outdoor Jacuzzi while reviewing client’s latest endorsement deal on your iPad.

9:30: Call pasty lawyer for the sports drink company. Talk about how much client enjoys Powerade. Throw out a seven-figure number. Lawyer meekly assents.

10:00: Roll through town in brand-new Gallardo (a gift from an NASCAR driver who shall not be named). Take a call from the distraught parents of a first-round draft pick. In flyover country twang, they explain their son’s in a little trouble with the police.

10:15: Arrive at your downtown office. There’s white marble and a two-story fountain in the lobby. Ask cute, perky assistant with dirty blonde hair to get you the name of a local judge. Assistant wonders why you’re asking her to get local judge’s number, since in 2017 everyone has the numbers in their GoogleGlass.

11:00: Call with local judge who happens to be a season ticket holder. After you explain the situation, he signs an order for your client’s release as long as you keep him away from farm animals.

12:30: Lunch with Rival Sports Lawyer where you discuss competing views on the profession. He thinks clients are just meat to be grinded out. You think each client is a special snowflake.

2:00: Check fantasy sports league. You’re number one. Fondly reminisce how being champ of your fantasy football league in college and leading your team to victory at the UVA softball tournament B division (two years in a row!) first brought you to the attention of Big Time Sports Law Firm.

3:45: Trip to Dolphins training camp to negotiate new contract. Although you switched to soccer in elementary school because your Mom said “tackle football” was too dangerous, you can tell just from watching a few minutes of practice that your client’s an integral part of the team’s offensive scheme. This and a withering barrage of statistics wring another $3 million out of the GM.

5:00: Call with frantic GMs from three different MLB teams. There’s a six player trade they need done before the trade deadline at midnight. You think this rush of adrenaline must be what it’s like to pitch game 7 on three days of rest. You do a line of coke because it’s Miami.

9:30: Deal of the century is done. Everyone calls you with congrats. Sexy blonde ESPN correspondent calls you to do a private interview.

10:00: Arrive at South Beach club wearing sharp suit with open collar. Walk past stunned club goers. Table in the VIP section with various professional athletes. They express admiration at what you do.

11:35: Spot a former Heat dancer who you helped secure a modeling contract at favorable terms. She glides over to you, looks deeply into your eyes, and whispers seductively “take advantage of three year federal deferment programs by calling us at 1-800-SHW-MUNY.”

8:45 AM: Wake up in a cold sweat with an unpaid student loan bill stuck to your forehead. You have an hour to get to Pinecrest to cover a $350 home closing. Before leaving, you check your fantasy sports standings. You’re third, behind a junior DA and the guy who picks players based on how many endorsement deals they have.

DISCLAIMER: Since some 0L is actually going to see this and think it’s only a “slight” exaggeration, this is more bullshit than A Million Little Pieces. You will not become a sports lawyer unless you were a D1 college athlete and have actual connections with potential clients, or you can go to a T13 and get a job at Proskauer. Notice that being intermural volleyball champ in college or knowing like, seriously everything, fucking everything about college football are not either of those categories. When your law school says that they are offering a “Sports Law” concentration, that simply means there are enough idiots (like you) who think that saying they studied sports law is going to give them a leg up in a field that does not exist.

Since OP previously mentioned international law: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=214158
"Do a line of coke because it's Miami" bahaha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”